Missing The Food In India..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Dec 19, 2019.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Anyone would miss home (meaning family, food, life style and certain specialties about being home) when they live in abroad for a longer time. It is natural.
    Missing home when you are idle and alone, specially on a cool winter morning is very normal.
    But how badly you miss home varies person to person and their life style etc...

There were days when I had dreamed about white puttu with chicken curry + Coconut & Maldive fish Sambol + Egg fry for my breakfast when I was in Hungary. It is a famous and traditional Sri Lankan breakfast, and it goes well if served hot during winter times.
    Those days I used to eat in restaurants and cooked only ready made/half cooked packed meals to save time. So, naturally I missed those spicy home made stuff back then.

I used to miss wearing sarees a lot and those chit chat moments with mom, and neighbors in the evenings etc... But as it is a fast moving life, I really don't have time to sit and worry about those things that I miss badly. Or may be I don't miss them that badly to worry or vent out.

This kind of yearning comes and goes. But never dies.

This is one of the reason why I chose to live in Sri Lanka despite of having a Canadian PR. I could foresee a vacuum in my life had I chose to change my profession or place of living since I am wired this way.
    What is the point of fighting for a cozy life when you don't feel happy about having one?

Though this is a light thread, I see a pattern of how you badly miss India and feel depressed about it.
    You reiterate the same thing, and it is one of the sign of having depression. If I were you, I would sit down with my DH and have a heart to heart discussion about the possibilities of moving to India. If not as family immediately, at least you and the kid for now.
    Because happiness is important. Once the soul loses its happiness, it is hard to find it outside. You must find it from where you have lost it.
    Reading from your thread, it is evident that your happiness lies in India. Go find it girl....

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hey it’s not about moving to India..suddenly was craving the delicious food..am Sure most people do:)

Thyagarajan and virtualkv2020 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Oh no! It’s not about India at all! Am
    Sure everyone craves once in a while
    About the food we get back there! Don’t we all? Yesterday had the cravings that’s all:)

Thyagarajan and Sunshine04 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Oh oh! Honestly this thread was intended as a fun thread.I never even had the thought of “moving back to India” or anything this time.that is the truth.

In a cold winter evening..I started to think of such mouth watering food.Am sure everyone must of thought atleast once about the chaat and other things we get back home and of course the taste is different and awesome.

My whole purpose was to express my feelings about delicious food and make everyone get imaginative that’s all.
    It backfired.

Honestly..it was a just a regular fun thread.

Thyagarajan, shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Aww thanks Rihana:) this is very sweet of you.made my day!:)

6. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I miss them too. Very intoxicating aren’t they? I grew maruvam (sweet marjoram) thrice in my back yard here. It grows well like mint.I use it to make my DIY hair oil. It is very fragrant, strengthens the hair roots, relaxes the mind, prevents headache and makes me feel nostalgic. My plant died after I returned from my trip. :( I shall plant it again.

I had a lot of fun dressing my doll with a home made poola jada (gundu Malle and maruvam) back in India. She loves the fragrance, she keeps asking me to braid her hair every now n then and I had to tell her that she needs to wait for her next trip. Does anyone know if our Indian Jasmine grows well on the west coast? I heard they attract snakes.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    anika987 likes this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Yes we all crave for such food, but I have to be watchful and have baked versions instead. :)

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  8. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I am probably the only one who doesn't miss the food. I make everything at home by myself and i have gotten used to it. I love cooking be at home or on vacation. In India I felt I was confined to the spicy cooking. This was before my parent's home had an oven so i was never able to make a cake or some cookies. Moving to the US, I experimented all different types of cuisines and still do. So only thing I miss is my family and the temple/ church festivals. I try to get it compensated by going to carnivals and farmer's markets in summer/spring and in winter there are Christmas lights and events!

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@anika987
    I am with you.

I crave the Adyar Ananda Bhavan bondas they sell around 4pm. One plate of bonda with nice coconut chutney followed by a cup of hot filter kapi...., oh heaven!

In Trichy our family buys sambar vadai for morning breakfast, from where I do not know or even cared to know. They are huge vadais well soaked in tasty sambar, and piping hot.
    One vada is all I need for breakfast and tummy is full. Every to and fro airfare dipping into my savings account is worth it.

In Chidambaram we get a rice halwa, it is called 'sodhal'... halwa cooked in coconut milk and palm sugar. A very mild sweet but I am addicted to it. Fortunately not many in the family like it saying it is not sweet. So I get to have the lion's share :D

Akkara vadisal from Srirangam is one to die for...

Hmmm.... I go into lapses of such hallucination frequently, foodie that I am.
    You've triggered my taste buds into craving once again.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

My all time favorite is puri or chapati with potato masala