Miscellaneous philosophical topics

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Ashna, Nov 23, 2005.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Sattva, Rajas And Tamas Bhakthi

" As there are shades of Sattva, Rajas and Tamas in worldliness, so Bakti has its corresponding aspects. There is one type of Bakti that partakes of the humility of Sattva, another that characterised by the ostentation of Rajas, and a third that is marked by the brute force of Tamas.

The Sattvic devotee performs his devotions in secret. The care he bestows on the body is just his providing it with plain food - perhaps a little rice and vegetables. Of luxury he has none, either in food or in dress. There is no show of fittings and furniture in his house , and he never seeks to raise in the world through flattery.

The Rajastic devotee has perhaps distinctive sectarian marks on his body and a string of beads round his neck, with perhaps a few golden ones interspersed. He is particular about outward observances such as wearing silk at the time of worship and celebrating the worship of the Deity with pomp and splendour.

The Tamasic devotee has a fiery faith. He applies force to God like a robber seizing things by force. "What!" he says, " I have uttered His 'name' and yet I am to remain sinful! I am His son! I am duly entitled to the inheritance of His wealth!" Such is the vehemence in his ardour."

---Sri Ramakrishna

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Would like to share a piece a info i recently read. While taking oil bath (especially on an auspicious day like diwali) it is good for us to think about "Ezhu (7) Chiranjeevigal" and they are as follows :

Aswathaman
    Parasuramar
    Markanteyan
    Vibishanan
    Hanuman
    Mahabali &
    Vysa Munivar

All of the seven are truly blessed by Goddess Mahalakshmi.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cindhu,
    Those 7 Chiranjeevis are for men and boys

For girls there are 5 Pathivrathaas..namely.
    AKALYA
    DRAUPADI
    SEETHA
    THARA
    MANDODHARI

Before applying oil for oil bath., chant these names and make a dot on the hand and when you finish it, connect all the dots and proceed with oil applying and bath....

sriniketan

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,

Thanks for the information, i ihave heard abou the pathivirathas, but i know only about four of them. Could you plz tell me in short about the pathivirathai "Thara", i have never heard any stories so far. Thanks again.

5. Sriniketan

Cindhu,
    Except the fact that "Tara' is the wife of King Vaali...I don't have much information related to this..if you come to know or other ilites come to know, please share that information here...

sriniketan

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,

After reading your post i tried to find out some info about Pathivratha "Tara", though i was not able to know the exact reason for her to be called as "Pathivratha", i managed to understand a little.

When Vaali fights against Sugreeva, Tara advises him not to proceed, since Sugreeva has the support of Rama, but Vaali doesn't considers it. Even when gets ready for the second battle against Sugreeva, Tara tries to explain about the greatness of Rama, and tries to make him understand that whatever rama does, a dharmic action will be there. Even then Valli refuses to accept and finally is being killed.

After this victory Sugreeva takes away Tara to his home as a vengence act for what Vaali had done. Sugreeva also promises Lakshmana and Rama that the vanara people will always be loyal to Rama and Lakshmana and also help finding Sita devi. But day by day Sugreeva forgets about the promise, never intends to help rama or Lakshmana and get himself adicted to bad habits.Lakshmana becomes furious about the act and curses the vanara people never keep their promise. So as to cool down Lakshmana, Anjenaya goes to bring Tara infront of Lakshmana. By seing Tara, Lakshmana reminded about his widowed mother and forgives Sugreeva. After this Tara explains about all the greatness of Rama and Lakshmana to Sugreeva and makes him help them, inspite of being insulted and abducted by him. Sugreeva praises Tara as the mother of the nation and crowns her son Angadha as the prince for the Vanara's.

Some people even say Tara came out of the ocean when it was churned by the devas.

These can be the reasons for stating her as pathivratha. Not Sure. Please someone share with us if you come to know the reason.Thanks.

7. Sriniketan

Cindhu,
    I totally agree with the facts you had given here..
    but I disagree with this one information...

After this victory Sugreeva takes away Tara to his home as a vengence act for what Vaali had done..

If Sugreeva is so bad, Lord Rama would not have asked his help in finding out Seetha..

The fact was Sugreeva was looking after his brothe's son and wife, Thara, after Vaali's demise...

sriniketan

8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,

Many think like how you stated, but i have read in some sites and heard stories from my paati(granny). What she told was, the actual reason for the fight between the vaanaras i.e., Vali & Sugriva was because Vali forcefully married Sugriva's wife "Ruma" and when Sugriva went asked if it is dharma, Vali replied as these kind of dharma are only for manusha's (we men and women) and not for our vanara's so i can do whatever i like. After this only Sugriva went for the help of Lord Rama. Lord Rama was annoyed by Vaali's act of marrying brother's wife. So asks Sugriva to fight him so that he kills him by hiding somewhere.When Vaali was hurt by Lord Rama's arrow , in death bed Vaali asked Rama, how could he do that being known for dharma. For which Lord Rama replies, i know that is an unfair act, but still you deserve such a death for your behaviour. Even Goddess Parvathi complaints to Lord Shiva, this an unfair act of Lord Rama, and tells that Lord Vishnu himself could have killed Valli directly with his powers. Lord Shiva says, It is not possible in the case of Vaali, as he has a boon that he will gain half the strength of the opponent along with his own, and Lord rama being a manusha avatharam he cannot convert as Lord Vishnu. Morover vali deserves such a death for his act, says Lord Shiva.

After Sugriva won the battle, though he promised Rama, something made him act so mean and inturn he takes away Tara as a revenge. And it goes so on.

I will not say that i am correct, but i have heard many people saying the same. Will see if someone comes out with some other reason behind it.

9. shanthi ramanathan

shanthi ramanathan New IL'ite

Dear friends
    I am already a member of this forum . While broswsing I came across this topic and I wan ted some calrifications spirituality

I frequently get depressed and I myself come out of this problem by reading articles, bokks or recite slokas for a few days. Yhe I am not able to conitnue to recite slokas or read books for a long time because of some minor health /mental tensions occuring at home and officefront ( I am working women) One thing I have always seen in my life that even though I am a hard worker and sincere worker in both fronts , I am always being compared with someone or the other . As a result sometimes I myslef underestimate and feel inferior to other s and makes me think that I am not knowledgeable enough in my filed of working .

I just wanted to know why this sort of feeling comes to me and how to come out of it . One of my well wihser says that you just ignore it and that ignoring doesnt come to me and i get hurt by the words spoekn directly in front of me .

Can anybody give guidance on this .

Thanks in advance and regrads
    Shanthi

10. SBRose

SBRose Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanthi

I have undergone such conditions and i came out of it by doing breathing exercises. This breathing exercises help to calm the mind and attract the positive energy. So unnecessary worries will not stay in your mind.

Try it and be Cheerful !