miracles of lord guruvayoorappan !!!!!!!!!!! - experiences of devotees

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by mssunitha2001, Nov 27, 2009.

1. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for this thread.

2. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunitha

Happy to see this thread, Sree Guruvayurappan would certainly bless us all.

My maternal great grand uncle ,devoted all his life praying, doing sapthahams of Narayaneeyam ,not married he lived a saintly life , he spent decades along with the popular devotees in Guruvayur, the Devoswam had honoured him given a place to reside very close to the temple.Even today he is remembered .

Some popular stories,rituals of Sree Guruvayurappan

There is a fascinating legend about the origin of the rituals in this temple. One Ekadesi day, Sri Adi Shankara and Narada were travelling in space above the temple of Guruvayur. Narada told the Acharya that he was descending at Guruvayur. Acharya disdainfully told Narada that idol worship and chanting of the Lord's name repeatedly was for the ignorant and not for a Gyani like him and continued his journey in space. A moment later, he tripped and fell prostrate on the earth by the northern side of the temple, where the Lord's Sriveli had reached. The Acharya realised his error and begged the Lord for forgiveness. The Lord told him that temple worship, repetition of the Lord's name and listening to religious discourses were all ways of expressing devotion and were all dear to him. He then asked Sri Shankara to organise the daily worship in the temple, which he did. These rituals are followed even today.
    Every day, the temple opens at 3 a.m. and the Lord is awakened from his sleep with the melodious notes of nadaswaram. The Lord is adorned with flowers of the previous day. This is known as Nirmalya Darshanam. It is believed that celestial beings come and worship the Lord after the temple is closed.

There is a banyan tree a few metres away from the temple on the East Nada. A young Varasyar girl would make a garland every day and offer it to the Lord in the night. The Mel Shanti (Chief Priest) would adorn the idol with it. One day she was late and the Sri Koil was closed. Manjula stood near the banyan tree crying and Poonthanam who passed by told her "Guruvayurappan knows what's in your heart, keep the garland on the banyan tree and he will take it". The following morning, when the Mel Shanti began to remove the nirmalyam, one garland stuck to the idol and would not come off. When Poonthanam saw this, he called out to the Lord saying "That's Manjula's Garland, let it also fall". The garland fell and the devotees were awestruck and started chanting the Lord's name. From that day the banyan tree is called Manjula.

Poonthanam Namboodiri was a humble devotee of Lord Guruvayurappan. He wrote a Malayalam lyric "Jnanappana" in praise of the Lord. He was not erudite like Bhattathiri but his lyrics were noted for their simplicity and devotional fervour. He requested Bhattathiri to revise it, but Bhattatiri lacked humility and looked down upon Poonthanam's knowledge of Sanskrit. Poonthanam went home and wept bitterly before the Lord. That night a boy appeared at Bhattathiri's house as he was preparing to recite Narayaneeyam. Seating the boy at his side, he started to recite. The boy pointed out an error in the very first verse. The poet admitted it and proceeded with the next verse, and the boy pointed out two mistakes. In the third verse, he pointed out three mistakes and so on. After the tenth verse, Bhattatiri realised that the boy was the Lord himself, and understood that Poonthanam's bhakti was more pleasing to the Lord than his own superior knowledge of Vibhakti (Sanskrit grammar) and learning. He rushed to Poonthanam and sought his forgiveness. When he read the Jnanappana, he found that it was flawless.

Melpathur Narayana Bhattathiri
    Melpathur Narayana Bhattathiri was a devotee of Guruvayoorappan. He composed the 1034 verse Narayaneeyam, a summary of the Bhagavata Purana in 1586 AD. Melpathur Bhattithiri was a student of Achyuta Pisharody, who became ill. As a student of the guru, Melpathur Bhattithiri took the disease upon himself as part of Guru Dakshina. The disease was incurable, and he was instructed by Ezhuthachan to become a devotee of Guruvayoorappan. Being a Sanskrit scholar, Melpathur Bhattithiri composed a verse every day for the Lord, and after the final verse was complete, he was cured of his ailments.

3. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks saras123, mrsv, goldc and Thank01

Thank you so much Thank01 about your experiences.

Thanks a million goldc for sharing the stories of guruvayoorappan...did not know about all this until you posted....

May guruvayurappan bless you all abundantly.

4. vbjrajavel

vbjrajavel New IL'ite

May the lord guruvayurappan bless all on this new year with all kinds of prosperity and happiness.

Let his radiation fall on any creature on this earth. Let his compassion surround all the living bodies on the planet.

Regards,
    Rajavel Balasubramanian

5. mssunitha2001

Thanks a lot dear vbjrajavel:)

[​IMG]

We had been to guruvayur during the december vacation. Being ayyappa season there was a very very very long queu. Sure it would take atleast 5 hours to get into the temple. I prayed...OMG...please let us have a look at you.

My dh said why not try to enter through the backside entrance. There was no rush at all and soon kids and myself stood in queu. DH had to go in the men's line. While we were waiting we were given a chance to light the lamps around the sreekovil with a long rod...So kids enjoyed their waiting time also.

Within 20 minutes we entered the sreekovil and saw guruvayurappan so clearly and so near for atleast 2 minutes...nobody pushed us or asked us to move...I just could not believe that i was allowed to stand there for so long without anyone telling moveon moveon.

After darshan we came out and started looking for my DH. A person from the prasadam counter called us aloud and said go upstairs and get your prasadam (evening tiffin). I said "thank you so much" but hesitated to go bcos i thot of looking around for my DH and informing him that we had our darshan.

seeing me looking around that person called out aloud again and said ,
    " go upstairs and get your prasadam. ".

I decided then that i should respect him and so went upstairs with my kids..we were offered hot upma, sweet ripe banana and hot tea. My kids were hungry and they enjoyed their food. I just had tea and reserved my share for my dh.

we came downstairs and my dh was looking around for us..we had the prasadam i had with me. I was so happy...my dh too had a good darshan.

I had thought that having darshan of guruvayurappan on that day was impossible but god made it POSSIBLE. Also i could have tiffin as prasadam which i had never even knew about all these years.

An unforgettable trip it was !!!!!!

God Bless !!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    3 people like this.
  6. saras123

saras123 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunita

Nice to hear about your experience.
    Thanks for sharing.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Vasudevaya.

7. vbjrajavel

vbjrajavel New IL'ite

Hi,

Can anybody please share your experiences with Guruvayurappan and/or visits to Guruvayur temple? I am very eager to visit his temple and know about his miracles as it has been 3+ years since I came to US.

Thanks & Regards,
    Rajavel Balasubramanian

8. happyperson

happyperson Gold IL'ite

Today i was browsing on Lord Guruvayurappan and i got to this wonderful site where many have penned heir life touching experience. Readhing them really brought tears and got goosebumps.
    There are many instances where my husband and i have experienced the miracles of Guruvayur and Lord Guruvayurappan.
    I would like to cite one of the example. This happened in November 2009. We both were looking for onsite opportunities and it was draging for some time. All of a sudden an opportunity came and before we went for visa stamping, my husband specified we should go to Guruvayur before traveling. I also felt the same. There were lot of visa rejections happening before our eyes. Our Visa stamping went smooth and we had to make our travel within a week. We had to vacate the rented apartment in Bangalore, do required travel shopping, take care of many other things in official and personal fronts. Our TO DO List was way long and with very limited time and there was no possibility to extend travel. Our travel date was booked by the company for 27/11/2009.* We could not do the Guruvayur trip till 27/11/2009. In the morning of 27/11/2009, when we were checking the e-mail, there was a mail from company's travel team saying the ticket for 27/11 is not confirmed for an intermediate point and they can book the ticket for 28/11/2009. Travel team was not sure if the ticket will be confirmed for 28/11 as well. There was no possibility to extend travel, my husband asked them to book the ticket for 28/11 and to issue confirmed ticket. Luckily we got the*ticket issued and all confirmation were received by 27/11 afternoon. My husband immediately called for a cab and we along with our parents, went to Guruvayur. We stay in Palakkad and it takes nearly 4 hours to reach Guruvayur. That day was Dashami Vilakku and the temple was crowded as you can visualize. We were able to make into sreekovil but the queue was huge and could not get inside. But still we prayed from bottom of our heart and i could see the deity roopam in my heart. Always tears fill my eyes when every i see HIM. I have no words to explain. With all HIS Blessings we had our flight on the day of Guruvayur Ekadasi and now in US for the second innings.
    HE tests us and provides multiple hurdles but NEVER EVER leaves us.*

My prayers and Love!
    "Guruvayoorappa nin munnil njan urukunnu karpooram aayi....Pala pala janmam nyan ninde....*hari muraliyin sangeethamayi.....

4 people like this.
  9. mssunitha2001

Thank you happy person for sharing your experience......god is great !!!!!!!!!!!

10. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Happyperson,

Enjoyed reading your post.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

"Guruwayoorapa thiruvarul tharuvai neeyappa!

Unthan kovililee dhinamum thirunal appa"!