1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Miracle…magic …or… mere mamta?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 28, 2008.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Sometimes mysterious incidents occur in our lives for which there are no radical explanations. Those are occasions when we feel that we are mere nonentities in the grand scheme of things…

I have not fully recovered from the sense of mystery and the awe of the incident, hence the delay in recording this. Okay…okay… it is nothing grandiose…just a day to day mishap that can happen to anyone… But what happened to me left me wondering about all these things I have been writing so far. Let me share it with you…

This year’s trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> was to celebrate our Silver Wedding anniversary. RP and I decided that it is the right time to thank God for keeping us together…for helping us look upon each other not as a nuisance in each other’s life but as a blessing… for blessing us with the twins…and a set of relatives who love us unconditionally. So we opted for a quiet day with Satyanarayana Puja at the Maruti/ <st1:place><st1:placeName>Vishnu</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> at Sunnadahalli in Bhadravathi. We planned it months ahead. The twins took time off to be with us… and so did other very close relatives.

The day started early with the arrival of Twin 1 from Pune. Twin 2 was already with us. There were bearhugs and smooches galore… namaskarams and blessings aplenty and then came the gifts… Twin 2 had picked up a sleek leather case for his father and the complete set of Asterix for me…I was overjoyed as it has been an unfulfilled desire to own the set…( All the books we had at home had been declared the pride possessions of my kid sister Rat aka mottogucci and she had cleverly hauled it all off to her sasural when she got married!) Recently, my BIL, motto’s husband bought me a dozen Tintins…so, the son’s gift of Asterix was just what I wanted to make the occasion great.

Then, Twin 1 came with a cheeky grin holding a small package each for us. We opened it and saw diamond rings inside! There were gasps of shock, surprise and wonder around…wonder because we had not thought that our little boy had grown up so much as to buy us something like that. Of course, he had probably thought that his Mom was slimmer than (at least her fingers) than what she actually is and the ring was tad too tight for my ring finger… and a trifle bit loose for my pinky! Not to disappoint the guy, I slipped it on my little finger and flashed it around…

Exactly ten minutes later I realized that I had lost it! I screamed in distress. My new ring was missing!

I am an atypical woman who does not hanker after gold… Diamond is not my best friend… The only piece of ornament that I ever fell in love as a child was my mother’s ‘addigai’ and that had got lost in a burglary at home. 98% of the gold bought at RP’s insistence ( ‘it is a good investment… you can give it to your daughters in law… it is like savings for a rainy day…) are all shut away in the ‘dark unfathomed caves’ of the State Bank of Mysore vault and probably, I may get to wear them during my twins’ wedding!
    My distress was caused by the realization that my son… had bought me something with his hard earned money…and I had lost it in ten minutes. He had not told anyone but his twin about his gift, keeping it a secret from even his grandmother who had enquired about what he was getting for his parents and got a cheeky “ It is a surprise and I’ll not tell you because women can’t keep secrets!”...in response….Howzzaatt!)

The whole house became busy searching for the ring… I was asked to recall where all I had gone and what all I had done in the past ten minutes… sofas were upturned and brooms were brought… Amma started bailing out the soapy water from the washing machine into a plastic tub to pan for gold…!

Half an hour of search ended…and we all concluded rather gloomily that the ring was gone for good. With a laden heart I got ready to go to the temple. On the way to the temple, we stopped at the flower market to buy garlands and flowers for the puja. I got down to select the garland and grimaced as I balanced myself on itsy bitsy stones so as not to step on the slushy ground and soil my sari. After paying the vendor we left for the temple.
    Seeing my woebegone expression, my son hugged me and consoled, “ Don’t worry Mummy… I’ll buy you another one…” “It won’t be the same,” I muttered unhappily.

We reached the temple and my husband alighted from the front seat of the car. I got out and my son followed me…Then he said, “ Mummy, something just fell down…” and bent down to pick up something and exclaimed, “ Mummy, isn’t this your ring?”

SURE ENOUGH …IT WAS MY LOST RING!

I don’t know from where it had fallen out… Maybe from my handbag in which I had shoved the envelopes with my cash gifts… or my hair where it had got tangled…or my sari… It remains a mystery till date. Strange how it did not fall on the road as I entered and got out of the car…funny how it did not fall on the slushy ground of the flower market… Plum lucky it had to fall at my feet in front of the temple and the very person who had gifted it to me had to spot it and retrieve it joyfully to present that precious gift to me once again!

Like I said, was it a miracle? Magic? Or merely the answer to a mother’s plea to God? It is still a mystery.
    …now I wear the ring on my ring-finger… curiously, it fits perfectly.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Twinsmom,
    Happy to read that your search has a happy ending...
    To me it is the mantra, that made it happen...faithful prayer never gets unanswered.:thumbsup

sriniketan

3. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Heeeheheeeheeee....Big Laugh

I know exactly what you mean....

Can I share ......This incident happened in M'lore, when I had gone for a short break. I had lost.... { Can I use the word 'Lost' or should I say misplaced?} Anyway, I seemed to have lost my ear rings.... those which were my moms' & I just loved the simplicity of it. I wore it & then I couldn't find it. Searched everywhere in vain. I was so disappointed that I had lost it!

We came back to Mumbai, & life went on as usual. After around 8 months, we revisited Mangalore. While unpacking one of my hand bag, I found my ear rings!!!!! But I keep wondering, was it in my hand bag all the time? I had searched every inch of my bag then, but wasn't able to find it then, & here is sits!

I was sooooooo happy to get my favourite ear rings back!

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Viju
    Glad you found the ring!. was reading with bated breath! Thank God.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Verbose,

HAHA.Now how about a party for u all here at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Indus</st1:place> ! Congrats.

You know I was about to say,maybe ur son would have said, I had bought an artifical diamond ring, and I will get u another.

But he got u a real one, and he had the heart to tell u, that he will get u another !! You have been blessed with gems, Verbose, they are yr real jewels.

God bless yr family.Regards.kamal

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi twinsmom,
    lucky u to have got back your ring..a superb narration that had me reading with bated breath..but as kamalji has pointed out your twins are your real jewels..all the very best to your family..
    regards
    Mindi

7. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Goodluck, twinsmom!

The loving emotions play a vital role in our life. It makes some miracles happen. This incident may be a miracle of mamta...

I loved when you said;
    'There were gasps of shock, surprise and wonder around…wonder because we had not thought that our little boy had grown up so much as to buy us something like that'.

8. Sulkypetal

Sulkypetal New IL'ite

Love reading your story, twinsmom! Well told, you're a good writer, glad you found your ring... uncannily moving finding it like that.

BTW, I love Asterix too and thought it was so sweet of you to tell that personal bit of info. When I re-read my Chalet School books and tote home Asterix comics from the local Library, I feel so content, smug but a trifle umm not guilty but hmm, hope someone doesn't cach me at this.
    And I tell myself almost in consolation, well they don't know you read Daniel Defoe, Emerson and Balzac and etc etc from 9/10 years old..
    Part of me doesn't care, some times I rationalize that I am processing this info in an adult way now, and then I get annoyed at myself, just lay back have a good read, don't analyze, it takes away the joy of revisitng those stories.
    Anyway all the best to you, again enjoyed your article...