minute mistakes.. Big difference

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Luvpavi, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Hi SGBV,

Thats the only goal now and thats what scares me most. My kid should not say "mom your cooking is pathetic. I'll stay with my grand parents :rotfl"

So trying my best now. Everyday i make sure 2 or three veggies are added. Few steps
    1. Make the correct quantity food. No more no less
    2. It can be less spicy but not more
    3. Add the correct amount of salt required
    4. Cook the food without burning
    5. Try to give a decent presentation

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji aunty, we learn a lot from you and people like my dh's late grandmom. she would be sitting in the hall and can tell if salt was missing in the sambhar. so had the exposure to how not to cook and how to cook both. so trying to emulate and bring in my own signature and have succeeded i think. thanks for the compliments. nomination and all are secondary aunty. it was just helping somebody who wants suggestions to follow..

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

You have made myday by sayingthat you learn a lot from me. On the contrary I feel you are more knowledgeable than me. Ya true that we can learn lot from grandmothers . My grandmother was also a great cook an d was expert in making kai murukku but I missed learning from her because that time I was not much interested in learning cooking and never knew that I will be married to a family where all will be expert in cooking including the men.Felt sad when my grandmother was not there after my marriage . It is so nice of you to share your knowledge with others.

1 person likes this.
  4. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@LuvPavi,

wanted to add these pointers:

Although we pre-cut, pre-cook , freeze before the actual cooking..Avoiding all these improves the taste. Wash, cut and cook immediately. Most importantly, eat it hot :whistle (How to find the time is another question? But do when you can)

Since of late, I am convinced that for re-heating food stuffs, use the stove to heat them back. It brings back freshness compared to the MW Oven..(How sad, we use MW Oven just for heating..) Use the steaming method on a stovetop for idly, idiyapam etc. So, no MW Oven unless emergency. Surely tastier old food :-D

Have a variety in your cooking; Make sure you try new stuffs every week.

And importantly, learn to cook what your MIL does not know. Then, you have no pressure in your mind to win someone..

5. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Hello preethitech,

You have really given few valuable tips. This is the secret formula but its very difficult to follow always faintingsmiley.

Nowadays i try to experiment with different subji and if it turns out to taste well, i will call my mom immediately and tell her my secret recipe. But i get a reply from her. "This is how we do this dish. Whats special in that".laugh1smiley

So the items which i thought that i invented exists in practise for more than many years. :confused2:

But i will not stop myself from exploring. ideasmiley

1 person likes this.
  6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl secrets are not meant to be shared @Luvpavi.. even with your mom.

So, you just cook, eat and gobble it up with Dh and say mommy dear it got over, it was so tasty etc. Do not reveal the steps.

That's another mistake you make: You cannot beat Dh's mom in cooking. also you cannot say to your own mom that you have discovered something in cooking.

Wait till the day your younger sister wants to take your advice.

7. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

@preethitech,

Yeah i realized it after that. I will act smarter :2thumbsup:

But after one year of my married life, i am on the way to intermediate level from the begineer level of cooking. :wow

Now the frequency of messing up with food has reduced tremendously.

8. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Back to topic,

Now my areas of improvement.
    1. My DH gives first preference to presentation. So improved in that part.
    2. Started preparing more of healthy snack and breakfast, salads etc
    3. Begineer in baking. started with few cakes and puddings(which none of my relatives do :thumbsup)
    4. Improved my speed of cooking.

1 person likes this.
  9. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Congrats on clearing primary level. Keep writing down your recipes. It helps a lot. Even if you repeat that dish after six months, you bring out the same taste. Look forward to view your baking. Tc

1 person likes this.
  10. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Sure Radv,

All these positive feedbacks keeps me motivated and go forward exploring stuffs. I never thought of writing it down. Sure will start from today :cool2:

<B>Friends keep updating that small spark which was the highlight for the days cooking. Which might help thousands of ILs out here.</B>

Mine today.. I did pearl millet idly upma. usually i add grated coconut to the upma before bringing it down from the flame. Today i made the coconut into still finer granules in mixie and added that powder to the upma. The coconut got merged very well and it tasted yunny :exactly:

deepthyanoop likes this.