Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

2/13: 15 minutes morning, 5 minutes bedtime
    2/14: 15 minutes morning
    2/15: 5 minutes bedtime
    2/16: 15 minutes morning

Today's meditation: The Guy in the Glass by Dale Wimbrow

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
    And the world makes you King for a day,
    Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
    And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
    Who judgement upon you must pass.
    The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
    For he's with you clear up to the end,
    And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
    If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
    And think you're a wonderful guy,
    But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
    If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
    And get pats on the back as you pass,
    But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
    If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

~ Dale Wimbrow 1895-1954

Or as Shakespeare said -- This above all: to thine own self be true.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Are you looking for a "how-to" guide for mindfulness meditation? I can post something if you need help starting with it.

jskls likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes Gauri please post some link on how to start. Thanks

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

3CCAA0E3-9D59-4A5D-90F7-853FE1F9FF1C.jpeg
    Thennn what's the fun! :grinning:

Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

OT but the share made me think of the Beatles song, "Within You Without You".

We were talking about the space between us all
    And the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
    Never glimpse the truth, then it's far too late, when they pass away
    Try to realise it's all within yourself
    No one else can make you change
    And to see you're really only very small
    When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find
    Peace of mind is waiting there
    And the time will come when you see we're all one
    And life flows on within you and without you!

: )

Day 2. 21 mins.

CE712CCA-8E3C-4C72-BCC4-20BEC312A339.jpeg

Gauri03 and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir - Even this is a lot for me. I'm starting from level -100. Thank you for sharing your write up. I need to spend more time on it and understand everything you have stated.
    Try this -
    Amazon.com: Muse: The Brain Sensing Headband, Black: Amazon Launchpad

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Geetha (@GeetaKashyap)

My knowledge about Chakras are very limited but it looks like what your friend is experiencing is opening up of Ajna Chakra and/or Sahasrara Chakra. www.chakras.info might help you find some clues about your friend's experiences. Different people have experienced different things. Some experience high voltage shock when someone touches him/her. High level of energy flows through the body during such experiences. They are mind-cleansing experiences. Some have experienced past (even beyond the current life time), present and future and lost body-consciousness while others transcend time and space. It is difficult to suggest something for your friend unless an expert in this field is consulted.

Note: Even though only Prarabdha Karma is what we are supposed to experience in real life, I think Sanchita Karma attached to a soul is encrypted in the system when a life is born. I am not sure of this and I could be wrong. When Sahasrara Chakra is opened unexpectedly, it gives the vision of all our past actions even before our life time. It is equivalent of present day hacking into an encrypted data even though it is about ourselves.

Viswa

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  8. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

2/14: 20 minutes morning, 5 minutes afternoon
    2/15: 20 minutes afternoon, 10 minutes at night
    2/16: 20 minutes afternoon

Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra Thanks for this information. We will check the site you have referred. Please don't be so formal with me; you may address me by name without any prefixes or suffixes :)

This journey of hers, especially for the past four-five years, has been very unsettling. On one side there is the sudden discovery of something mindblowing and so dramatic, and on the other is the lack of authentic information and guidance. This field is such that anyone can cheat and mislead. There is the familial resistance to her new experience, non-cooperation to her new found quest and her own inability to be a 'Gyani' to realise all those things easily or have that high level of intelligence to read and understand 'those' texts and go through intense practices to realise what the experience is trying to teach her. Going through these experiences at a stage when she is also going through menopause and some health issues is another burden. There is also this truth that women are still not totally free to pursue whatever they wish at the cost of domestic duties and responsibilities.

Would it be okay to ignore the whole experience and lead a normal(!) life? Should she seek some Guru against her family's will and try to realise something? Or should she simply toy with whatever she can within her limits: here the issue is some uncommon experiences and lack of any reliable guidance. Of course, as outsiders, we can only suggest some ways and finally, it is for her to do whatever suits her.

I request some more inputs and suggestions in this area from the erudite members of this forum. She is from Mumbai; if anybody knows about any good place in Mumbai to learn more about this field, please feel free to suggest.

Thanks.

10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
    Dear Geetha Madam,

We common people don't know much about Chakras and our knowledge is limited to the various drawings and diagrammatic presentationswe see or what we learn from our Gurus.
    With multifold responsibilies in our real life and problems connected there of, our main purpose of meditation is to have tension free mind to enable us to attend to our household/official duties and the immediate aim is not oneness with the Supreme.
    That being the practical reality, our pursuing of meditation, I feel, must be limited to have some relaxation and care free mind.True, 60% of the people are able to achieve.
    Do we belong to 60% or the remaining 40%, we don't know.
    Out of the 40%, some( nearly half of them) never feel any change at all. Meditation seems to be a waste of time for them.May be due to non adherence of rules or disciplines.They simply come and go and leave after some time.
    The case mentioned by our friend relates to the 20% of the people adversely affected by meditation.This is the view expressed by psychologists who treat the patients so affected.
    Some people feel wonderful dramatic changes in their ownselves,
    a dissolving experience.They feel as though flying in air, or losing their own identity looking so weird in front of others.They feel lot of anxiety and tension and feel like crying aloud.A sort of panic takes over, body starts trembling requiring immediate medical intervention.
    Some feel a sense of bright light hovering over certain parts of the body, as explained by our friend.This may subsequently lead to convulsions and seizures.Any anti convulsion drugs results in numbness of limbs and associated problems.They are affected by 'Sleep disorders having a negative impact on nervous system such as pain, depression and disorientation and hellucination.
    We have to clearly understand that 'meditation is not for everybody.Some may not have a smooth sail at all with meditation.Trying meditation with them removes the very purpose of mediation.It is not a'ready made package', that fits all the categories.Our main aim is we should not get any 'upadrav' , though not 'upakaar' out of meditation.
    All persons may not be able to handle the 'opening of energy Chakras.,though it is considered to be a bliss.
    Inspite of all these things, meditation is a great technique to evolve oneself.But we should know our limitations and don't try to overdo things.
    We have to understand that there are ways other than the meditation more or less having the same benefits.They are listening to music, learning some arts, even if you are old and the sense of achievements relieves the mounting tension.We need not aim to become enlightened like Buddha, or Sankara. Let us fix our own limited targets.
    I am reminded of a real incident in the village.The lady, Seetha by anme was a young beautiful childless widow.She eked out her living out of grinding idli and dosa batter to all the houses in the village and she charged very little.She used to grind around 15 kgs of rice and dhal daily.I used to feel whether she didn't feel pain in her hands.
    One day I asked her. She told me that she visulaises the mortar and pestle as Shiva lingam and she feels as though she is nearer to Lord Shiva whenver she rotates the pestle.She had a peculiar variety of mortar which was around 18 inches from the ground and the mortar had a special granite attachment .One could sit conveniently as on a motor bike placing both the legs on either side.The mortar with a seat attached and pestle within looked exactly like a Shiva lingam with Aavudayaar.This induced her compose lot of songs on Shiva, which she used to sing while grinding.For her grinding was a meditation giving relief and livelihood at the same time..

Meditation in real sense means 'dyana' or concentration. Any activity done with involvement and concentration will certainly yield the same or more benefits we derive out of meditation.
    People who are affected by anxiety and panic after meditation, may better leave it for good and engage themselves in activities of their liking without attaching monetary benefit .
    Hope our common sense and natural wisdom prevail to follow what is most suited to us.

May be it is better to turn to normal life ignoring the experiences, as we really do not know whether it is self realization or mere hallucinations.

Jayasala 42

Gauri03 and GeetaKashyap like this.