Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

But, but, but .... that Gautama person sez there is no self!:thinking::crybaby2:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

One wanted to love Oneself. That One multiplied into many to love and be loved. Therefore, many are born out of love, sustain in love and eventually merge into love. Loving Self is loving all. :beer-toast1:

Giri12, Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When they send you to the naughty chair at the daycare, do they not check for electronic contraband? Is it in that corner with your face towards the wall that you come up with these philosophical quandaries?

Baby Dr S, if we are the universe experiencing itself, then the self is a manifestation of Brahman itself, infinite and eternal. Loving oneself is loving the absolute.

4. sokanasanah

V, stop doing other people's homework for them - learn from Felicity H!
    Indeed. My face is pretty much always towards the wall. They tell me that everything is made of atoms and atoms are mostly empty space, but my experiments suggest that to not be the case.:confundio1::crybaby2:Still working on it. :BangHead:
    Did you know that there is a philosophical/scriptural basis for this statement? Or did you scribble the answer without showing your work? o_O I need to see your parents young lady!

Not so much 'love the self' in the touchy-feely, new-age-y sense, but in the sense of looking into your true self (beyond ego) - into the nature of the self - to apprehend the Absolute. This is the gist of the four principal Mahāvākyas.

तत् त्वम् असि - Tat tvam asi - "That thou art" - "The Brahman (Absolute) is the self and self the Brahman."
    प्रज्ञानम् ब्रह्म - Prajñānam Brahmā - "The awakened self - that is Brahman."
    अयम् आत्मा ब्रह्म - Ayam Atmā Brahman - "The Atman (Self != ego, but spirit) is Brahman."
    अहं ब्रह्मास्मि - Aham Brahmasmi - "I am Brahman". "(The Supreme) Self is the Brahman."

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदम् पूर्णात् पूर्णमुदच्यते |
    पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ||
    ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ||.

"That ('Brahman') is infinite, and this ('universe'/'the realized self') is infinite; the infinite proceeds from the infinite. (Then) taking the infinitude of the infinite ('universe'), it remains as the infinite ('Brahman') alone."
    - Sankara on the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad V.i.1.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    You posted when it was around noon when that moment for me here when it 10.50pm. Without meaning any affront, for clarification:
    Yes I agree with what all you said for the “Present”.

(A) If every moment to live in present, do we have to close our eyes keeping the mind turn inward . The moment unfolded also will have PRESENT moments! If future moments are going be sanctuary that too will have”Present “ moments in which I will be present!

(B) Gouthama Buddha sat all moments continuously for 49 days under Banyan tree without stirring from the squat posture and remain seated for seven more days after the bliss called enlightenment. It was sanctuary after long time of49 days.

Is there any possible connection between para A & para B or am I as usual tad confused!

Google Wikipedia states - He ate poisoned pork? The term used for the food Buddha ate for his last meal is still used in Nepal to refer to truffle mushrooms which are often found with the help of pigs. ... Buddha was able to subdue his diarrhea and illness with the power of his meditation.
    An incident in life of Lord Buddha- Power of meditation to strengthen one’s journey on earth.

God is happy to access mediatative present minds.

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

You are the one who needs to learn the lesson from William B that eventually how the investigation started in the first place about doing other's homework will be investigated. Report given to you by Robert M is not indicating there is an underlying crime. It is clear from the summary you have provided to the Congress. There is no collusion and there is no obstruction of justice. It is the press, the enemy of the people give that impression to you.

The last time I read the constitution (Mahavakiyas), Invoking the Indweller through meditation is not a crime and describing what it means is not a crime either.

Note: Do you honestly think Mahavakiyas will not be known to a little girl raised in a religious family? She would have known that even before she went to college.

Gauri03 likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

Viswa, when the worksheet is turned in empty, it's always a zero, even if the answer is correct. :nono:
    Color between the lines, stay within the box. Make sure your reactions to advertisements are normal in every way and most important, let your teachers report that you never interfered with your education. Family ain't got nothin' to do with it.o_O
    BTW, we need to see your tax reports.

Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
  8. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

I am not able to see any Psychiatry Doctor or Clinical Psychologist practicing CBT here.

Lot of theoretical stuff explaining what CBT is about is available everywhere.

Anyhow, your explanation has made it little clearer.

If possible can you post something like an authentic YouTube video where one really practices CBT

9. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

This thread is so very enlightening. The inputs by @Gauri03 and @Viswamitra ji are so profound and rich. Thank you so much!!! Especially that Markendeya purana song was soul soothing and tears started flowing out of nowhere...Frames of my daughter engulfed the entire brain of mine..I felt as if I was holding her close to my chest and singing this song for her sitting in a rock far from the maddening crowd while the sun was setting into the sea!!

I dont know how I did not bump into this thread all these years at IL. Of late I have been feeling increasing stressed out and turbulent. I have been reading about brain a lot these days. So thought of starting a thread on similar lines. But now I understood, there is certainly no need for one!! But still I would like to share what i wrote..

Self study of brain functioning and steps to improve it. Why should we do it??
    Because human brain has the potential to change the world and so its our duty to nurture it.

I hate the fact that I don’t have control over my emotions when I get sad or angry and this aggravates when I am placed in highly pressurized situations. I love myself for what I am and so I made a conscious decision to change that state of mind when put in emotional situations.

I promised myself to stay calm and not react to situations. But I understood that introspection and reassurances are just empty promises I do to myself. It made me feel more guilty and vulnerable when I started plotting my moods vs time on a paper. I was afraid of the dynamic response I exhibited whenever a disturbance is introduced into my system. So I started researching on brain to understand how it works. It started with high school biology but as I went deeper I was amazed by its potential.

The most important thing is, for people like me, thought, that happens in the fore brain. A simple thought can either makes up or breaks up my day. So how is a thought formed in a brain? It is not located at a specific point in the brain but it flows in the form of electrical signals due to the synchronization of the neurons in a particular fashion. As an analogy, brain can be compared to a computer. It collects data from the sensory organs, processes the data or correlates it and finally delivers the output, i.e. the thought. And this thought translates into our response/actions to situations...Data is everywhere around us but the quality of life depends on how well we use the information to process the data.

The processing of data is carried out by the billions of neurons present in the brain cell. Different neuron connections correspond to different activities. There are libraries of neural networks corresponding to different activities and the interlinking patterns are already established. The activity libraries are created only if we try and involve ourselves on a regular basis till we get accustomed to it. A child doesn’t walk in its first trial; it trips many times before doing so but ultimately starts walking. It happens in a sequential way. The child first sees people around it walking, i.e sensory input through eyes. The input is processed and a thought is generated due to transmission of signals in the neural network that urges the child to get up and walk. The child tries to stand up to walk but falls down because it is a new activity to its brain. But after repeated trials or continuous reinforcements, of improving efficiencies, the child eventually starts walking. It’s because of the formation of a particular neural network in the brain that corresponds to walking and it takes about 3-4 months for the connections to be made.

Studies say good diet, sleep, no alcohol and drugs, practicing gratitude, being around positive people improves the brain functioning by more than 50%....

So the lesson I learnt was that I have to train my brain to re establish neural connections in such a way that it improves the overall quality of my thinking. I say reestablish because most of the connections are made in our formative years highly influenced by the thinking framework of the environment we were brought up in.

Gauri03, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Absolutely as simple as that.
    2. When you think you are thinking, you are not thinking!
    Thanks and Regards.
    God is thinking what you are thinking.

Gauri03 and vidhyalakshmid like this.