Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. nness

nness Bronze IL'ite

Apart from meditation, CBT helps me to handle the day calmly but have been very inconsistent this year. Like to restart in 2019, anyone here follows both meditation and CBT? Can give me company? Or should there be a new thread to discuss CBT methods and our thoughts afterward?

2. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 - Came across this thread long time back,however got my time to read the post in detail. Such a wonderful thread and love all the discussions.
    I have been doing meditation for sometime and took some break in doing it,now preparing myself to start my meditation again.

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

its a beautiful read. Very thoughtful indeed.
    Most people over all the years know that incessant worrying about things not in control don't add ever, but reading it in this language just reassures the reader's of moving forward :)
    Somehow this quote triggered me to post this here , hope you don't mind :tongueout:
    theres-never-enough-time-to-do-all-the-nothing-you-29416444.png

Gauri03 and vidhyalakshmid like this.
  4. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

*Ten Benefits of Meditation*

1. Helps to keep the genetic center, the treasure of human life, to be clean, strong, peaceful and capable to increase pleasure.

2. Would set the quality in man to have realisation of God, clarity on living beings, and leave life on virtual path.

3. Enhance the mind expanding ability.

4. Increases the unerring awareness in word, thought and deed.

5. Enhances the mind and its grasping power.

6. The qualities of adjustment and tolerance blooms up.

7. Assists to remain clean by clearing from the ill-feelings in us and the errors we commit at times.

8. Enhances the capability to perform creative things.

9. Paves the way for World peace by Individual peace, Family Peace & Society peace.

10. Makes to think what could be doable and get it done what is thought.

*- Vethathiri Maharishi*
    www.facebook.com/skyncr

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy, right ?
    I so far have been thinking that it's something which clinical psychologists and medical psychiatrists administer to their clients, with reference to specific issues like depression and obsessive compulsive neurosis etc.

Can CBT be practiced by an individual without any psychological disorders?

If so, how ?

kaniths likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CBT teaches coping mechanisms which are just as effective for handling day to day disruptive thoughts and behaviors as they are for treating serious mental disorders. It focuses on the connection between our thoughts and our feelings and behavior. Once you learn to identify the inherent biases that cloud your thinking, you realize that your thoughts are unreliable markers of reality, and the feelings they engender can be avoided or altered by being aware of those biases and reorienting your thinking. Some of the techniques are quite useful in everyday scenarios that crop up at work and within relationship dynamics. If you don't have a pressing need to see a counselor you can pick up a book and teach yourself the fundamentals of CBT. One of the most popular books is The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr David Burns. It was written specifically for the treatment of depression but it is also a comprehensive introduction to CBT itself.

kaniths and silentlistener like this.
  7. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

Thank you @Gauri03

Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Life got you by the cajones? What's bothering you? Please lie down on the sofa and tell me how you're feeling today...:smile:

kaniths likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Lol. Yeah, especially this part of life if you know what I mean! :wink1: :lol:

IMG_20190405_072223.jpg

But I think I found my zZzen point already just at the mention of "sofa"! Thank you! :lol: And, there isn't anything in the world, I say, that a #whatever philosophy can't fix! :D

Jokes aside... I seem to be focusing much of my 'mindfulness' karma on dealing with the bigger knots in life that when anything trivial (as hinted above :tongueout:) occurs I lose my senses right away. :icon_pc:

Just like that back to square 1 every day. :eek: :oops: :facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  10. Gauri03

Today, May 15th, is World Meditation Day. If you're still waiting for that sign from the universe to get started then consider this it.

Meditation is an act of self love. It is the ultimate inoculation against stress and anxiety. It is more powerful than any psychedelic drug. It is ayahausca, LSD, psilocybin rolled into one and its effects are permanent. Just 10-minutes a day for a year will change your life.

In our thoughts we are all time travelers. We dwell in our past regrets and our future anxieties. Meditation is a reminder to return to the present. Once you learn to be in the moment you become a tree rooted in the now. You lose the compulsion to be elsewhere, to mindlessly distract yourself. The mind becomes a sanctuary into which you can retreat to find stillness when the world around you is in a flux. Eventually you begin to trust that as long as you put all of yourself into living in this moment, the rest of time will unfold around you exactly as it should.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.47.47 AM.png

Today breathe with intention!