Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Once in while a member makes an immediate impression. It's not the words, it's how they say them. Makes you go, here's someone who has had both time and reason to feel and think deeply. Welcome to IL and the thread!

Your signature is what all of us on this thread aspire to. : )

“I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.” ~FN

Viswamitra and noire like this.
  2. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

Oh wow, how kind! Thank you so much for your gracious words and warm welcome @Gauri03

I'm blushing :blush::blush::blush:

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@noire

It is impressive to note that you remove the pain of monotonous work by living in the present moment. Like I mentioned earlier, all of us have some favorite actions where we get into a zone and do it with full mind, heart and soul. During that period, the work we perform becomes dominant than the feeling that we are doing it well. In other words, ego is suppressed by the complete involvement in fulfilling favorite action. If we can only learn to do everyone of our actions with same amount of commitment, there is no need for us to meditate at all as such actions themselves would get us to meditative state of mind.

Regarding time for observing our thoughts, the entire purpose is to discipline the mind. One of the important factors is to make the mind observe thoughts at a particular time which itself becomes a discipline. Particularly, I have experienced early morning hours before the sunrise and after the sunset are ideal time for observing thoughts. Satwic qualities are dominant during that period. Particularly, one after Shusupti is remarkably beneficial. Those are my humble views.

Viswa

noire likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am writing after a gap! Came across this 21 Too-Real Cartoons About The Struggle To Practice Mindfulness on how difficult it is to practice mindfulness. There mindful moments are just those for me, moments but they make up for all the mindless ones. So I can in a way relate to some of the cartoons...but my favorite ones are

upload_2018-12-4_12-13-25.png

I often hear this 'bad mood gratitude' list and I have always wondered and now this cartoon kind of throws some light - true gratitude is the key and not easy at all!

This one had me chuckle...

upload_2018-12-4_12-16-1.png

But my most favorite cartoon and not from this article is - how well put!! Love it!

upload_2018-12-4_12-16-43.png

alady2018, Viswamitra, Anisu and 3 others like this.
  5. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much for sharing your views @Viswamitra

I've noticed that I can get into the zone when I code and/or if I'm grappling with a particularly hard problem at work (good book to read on this: Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi). Unfortunately I don't get to write code all that much these days :(.

You're so right about discipline. I'm trying to work on waking up early and making that a habit. Aim is 4:30, currently at 5:30-6:00. I had brute-forced a 5:00 AM wake up schedule for about a month, couldn't sustain. During this time I had also incorporated some journaling, thought-watching-plus-tea, and studying something. But I tried to do too many things at once I guess, couldn't sustain. So now I'm focusing on just building one habit. Meditation time is also on the to-do list :)

6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

7. Gauri03

Wow, wow, wow! What a share! Loved it! Been listening to this first thing every morning as a personal prayer. Thanks K!

Be strong in body. Unfettered by desire.
    Not enticed by anger. Cultivate a quiet joy.
    [...]
    Stand aloof of the unknowing masses: Better dismissed as
    useless than flattered as a "Great Man".

The Stoics would have loved some aspects of Japanese culture.

Viswamitra and kaniths like this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I think Japanese are natural stoics, given their troubled terrains, often prone to natural disasters, and life means starting anew, rebuilding from scratch every now and then. I did a mini-thesis about the topic, will share on #musings maybe sometime. :relaxed:

alady2018, Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.
  9. Gauri03

I want to do a series of write ups on Stoicism starting with the dichotomy of control. Actually I already wrote a longish post on a thread recently. It didn't do the OP much good but might be useful here. I will copy it over.

Viswamitra and kaniths like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Does it include pointers for Rejection therapy? :relaxed:

Meanwhile... Did you know about the Japanese Screaming Jug? :sweatsmile:

scream-absorbing-vase-6122.jpg

Available on Amazon. Something I got as a virtual gift on WhatsApp. As a pun for anger management but I still looked it up anyway.

Basically, the "Shouting Vase" is designed to absorb screams and shouts of frustrations, and as output releases soft whispers through the tiny hole at the base. The idea is, "Don’t let it dwell inside, shout it out instead" I understand.

shoutingvase_medium.jpg

What do you think? Useful enough for me? Thoughtful gift after all? :laughing: :facepalm: Lol.

Move to gabfest thread, if irrelevant here. :innocent:

jskls, Viswamitra and shreepriya like this.