Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Viswamitra Sir,
    :worship2:Awesome melody and knowledge; it transported me to a different realm. Thanks for this amazing share.

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

The word, "Meditation" has a very different connotation in the scriptures. Therefore, I am always reluctant to use the word, "Meditation" easily and I prefer to call watching my thoughts sitting in a mat in one place controlling the senses and body as "silence sitting".

All three major paths to self-realization known as Karma Yoga, Bhakthi Yoga and Gnana Yoga are all suggesting three steps before we reach the stage of Samadhi. All three paths commence with Uparati ("withdrawal") - Karma Yoga commences with renouncing the fruits of the actions, Bhakthi Yoga commences with the devotion that forgets personal gratification and Gnana Yoga commences with the renouncement of desires and attachments (withdrawal of senses). The next step is Dharana ("Concentration") - Karma Yoga expects the work to be done skillfully with complete concentration with a lot of love and selflessness in the actions carried out as mentioned in Bhagavad Gita, Bhakthi Yoga expands into the territory of intoxication level of worship to the exclusion of other interest while Gnana Yoga expects assimilation of everything said in the Scriptures. The next step is Dhyana ("Meditation") - Karma Yoga expects the work to be done with a great sense of fulfillment allowing the flawless action dominating self-gratification, Bhakthi Yoga expects exclusion of everything but the Universal Absolute (One without the Second) and Gnana Yoga expects the inquiry (contemplation) to reach the level of contemplation that is all knowing.

When a person is in a meditative state, both Microcosm and Macrocosm becomes irrelevant and only what is beyond the realm of human consciousness becomes real. That is when the need for the consciousness residing in human BMI is terminated and the divine consciousness reaches its original formless state. It becomes Sat-Chit- Ananda.

Viswa

jskls, Gallant and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this enlightening post.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

Please share the effect of meditation whatever you experience.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I have never reached meditative state through Bhakthi or Gnana Yoga as I have neither such heightened devotion nor complete knowledge. However, I have experienced meditative state in Karma Yoga in a few occasions. Once when I was writing the final CA Exam paper in "Economics". Everything I thought and wrote in the exam was like a dream and I had a great sense of fulfillment. I had even forgotten the environment around me during that period of 3 hours.

Second time, it happened when I was working for a software company back in India. Three years of intense 12-14 hours of work. Frankly, everything I did during that period of 3 years was like in an auto-pilot mode. Sense of pride disappeared and I realized I was enjoying the work more than my own self-gratification.

Now, whenever I play with my puppy Orion, I lose the sense of time and the interaction is complete. The feeling is like it was happening in a dream and it feels like the clock is reset when I come back to my senses.

Viswa

Gallant and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Destiny has a way of its own. Something happened 2 days ago at home and I was in much distress. My normal chanting that usually keeps me calm failed to do so. Taking a deep breath, I dove into the internet to see how can I control my mind. and this is where i landed.
    How did I miss such a gem all these days I am not sure.

anyway, I am here now.
    My routine consists of Chanting (Daimoku Chant), 10 mins in the morning; 5 mins at night.

Gallant and Gauri03 like this.
  7. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

I experience at least 2 things:
    1. The food intake has considerably reduced. This is true when you do meditation.
    2. I always feel protected from anything that's evil...neither I do evil things nor any evil approach me. This is experienced by intuition.

Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

One more to add...

3. Whatever you think, will happen...but you think only that could happen...

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

This is also experienced by intuition.

10. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

This is a great thread, I'd like to share my experience.

I don't allot a specific time for meditation (this is a mistake which I must correct), but when the thoughts start spiralling and begin to go out of control I just step back or step outside of this thought-cloud for a while and simply observe. I allow myself to feel each and every thing, and observe that too. If I'm sad I feel the sadness fill my body and I don't fight it. After a while it loses its power over me.

Ideally I should be meditating every day for some time. I have never been able to build this habit.

Sometimes when I do the dishes or fold clothes or do something that I don't really enjoy, I try to switch to the mindful mode and the activity does not seem so daunting and instead becomes somewhat soothing.

kaniths, Gauri03, radv and 1 other person like this.