1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL's story.......I am MIL.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Jayanthi2010, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Jayanthi2010

Jayanthi2010 New IL'ite

pman, Thank you and here are the answers.

Do you wish your DIL on her birthdays? Wedding anniversary?Kids birthdays? Festivals?

I can never forget birthdays, anniversaries. Even my brothers and sisters used to get surprised how I remember theirs too till this day. I am the one who will pick up phone and call DIL, both, and wish them on their birthdays and anniversaries and festivals. Until the time when my US DIL stopped taking my calls.

Who went to help her during delivery? Did she have a c-sec? If so, did you enquire about her pain?

For a girl at that time always mother is the most comfortable person to be with. Her mother went and what problem can I have with that? I was more than happy. She had natural deliveries. I used to call every day during the first few days after delivery and when they came home from hospital......to ask how she is doing and how is baby. After sometime her mother started taking the phone and give some or the other excuse for not giving DIL the phone. Even after sometime there will not be a call from their side. So, I sensed that I should reduce now and so made calls but less frequently.

Did you ask her how she copes up with managing 2kids?

Whenever we went to US...3 times till last time, I will make lunch and dinner everyday because anyway we do nothing sitting at home. I used to say often that it is tough for women to manage here since there is no domestic help also. Though I have not asked the exact same question as yours but I hope this conveys. I used to take kids out for a walk while she does the weekend cooking or if she called someone for dinner. Weekdays I used to cook and also pack their lunch boxes. Since you asked I am telling you this not to tell I did something great. Any mother does this and so I thought I am doing for my children.....Son/DIL/Kids.

Do you involve her in family discussions?

Even if we want her to sit with us she will not. Once we were planning on having a function (traditional) and when they came to India for visit. We decided that in the night after dinner we all will talk on the planning. My 2nd son and DIL also came to visit. 2nd DIL was at her mothers house and son called her to come for night. She came in the evening. 1st DIL knows but at 5pm she said she needs to go to her parents place and will come after a day. I asked her if there is anything urgent, did you get any phone call or what happened because if not then stay for night and go in the morning since we will chalk out our planning. She just said, NO I have to go and went. So, that may answer your question.

Do you express your happiness over her achievements?

Whatever is our relationship, but one thing is I am proud of both my DILs.
    They are both well educated and hard working. My elder DIL after her MS, I have given her a pendant (10gms gold) as gift. She was happy. My younger DIL did not study after marriage as she was already into job but she is good singer. Her programme was aired on TV and we alll went to watch. My husband and I gave her a gold bracelet as a gift after that.
    I will tell you one fact since this question came up. I have never given my own children any gifts for their achievements. Except saying WELL DONE to my elder son after his Ph.d. and making his favorite sweet when he came home, I have never given special gifts. Even same for my 2nd son and daughter. Not that I want to show off or treat my DILs differently but want to show them how much we care for their acheivements and hardwork. That special effort of expressing ourselves is needed when it comes to other than our own children.

i would like to know your thoughts what if your daughter was in DIL's place where your SNIL wanted to go abroad in a hurry only after marriage? What if your Snil's parents wanted to postpone marriage bcos of his sister's wedding?

We would respect any sentiments attached to their family tradition and there was no need to fear and hurry since they were anyway not living in the same state and we promised we will do everything in one year.
    I can understand parents fear if they lived under one roof or in same place. So, that answers that we would agree to wait since they promised us. We would atleast trust that much on a person my daughter loved and not hurt them by shouting and telling unnecessary things just so blindly. You might have read the reason for us to stop our own daughter's marriage for a year was there was a death in snil's extended family and they do not have marriage within a year after any death so we had to wait too.

Hope I could answer your questions.

No amount of anything worked. We suspected the initial wait time we asked for marriage upset her and so many times I have talked alone too that we have let that go, but she never lets go. It is hard when you make up your mind, if you have already decided then is there no scope for the other person. She is not ready to talk and get over too. After marriage we have never interfered in any child's matter. My 2nd son lives 2hrs from us. We visit them only ocassionally.

I can say YES we involve her in every matter.......she knows that too.
    As I have told the above poster too we try to involve her in any discussions but she finds some reason to stay away. For us our children are more than any relative so we try to have family functions if possible only when children can come.

NO. My daughter and I dont talk on this at all. She is friendly to both DILs.
    With 2nd one she talks more since there is response but with 1st one it is very very formal talk.....I think they talk when they first met, it never got close between them after that. But I never never involve my daughter in our matter.
    Even though they live in same country, my DIL hardly invites my daughter to her house for vacation. My daughter gifts her brother's kids every year on new year.

As I told other posters too, I have never done to make her so unhappy. Sometimes when you see something you are reminded of somebody, it was something like that incident. And more than that I have praised her on other thing right in front of her and her husband.

I think the bold part is tough now. It has to be both sides.
    No matter how much I try from my side, if you keep yourself firm that you will not change it is never going to happen. Whenever I see something while shopping if I can buy I will buy 3.....for 2 DILs and daughter. So, I have never seen them as separate.

My daughter's side I have already told you in the above answers. For my DIL I know she made lot of effort in the beginning calling on elder DIL's birthdays and anniversaries but after that stopped because she did not get reciprocated. She will always gift saree/dress and for kids whenever they come to India for visits and call them for dinner/lunch. My elder DIL never gets anything from US for her cosister as a gift..........this also I came to know recently through some talk and that too through elder DIL only telling she does not like taking gifts for anyone in India anytime and never took.

I am not in US. We recently returned and this is 3rd time we went each time for 2-3 months. My husband I decided from now on we will not go to US. Why should we go when we get that cold treatment and how much ever we try she will not talk properly so we better stay happy here. It is good for us and them. They can visit us if they wish. She is the mother and if she does not want to leave kids even for a single night with us then no problem we have no complaints now. We used to feel bad earlier but now it is like this.....we have other grand children too. But we hope she will come around and understand our feelings for her.

Hope I was clear and answered all you questions.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. NAYA

NAYA Senior IL'ite

Hi Jayanthi ma'am,
    Ah I wish my MIL would be like you ,but I can say my mom is like you and she also facing same problem,only the thing they are in joint family and facing every day in life.
    I think u should leave it now instead of working on it ,u tryed your best for US DIL ,but one day she will realise that is am sure.
    I hope she should be one of the member here in indusladies and go through your thread and realise it how much u want to get close to her.

I feel by reading so many threads with different types of issues in our daily life makes us wiser and points out our positive & negative things.

I wish & pray to GOD that your DIL should realise soon that she is lucky to get you.
    I wish I would have been her friend and told her all about my MIL then she would realise how different you are from others.

Hope for the best and be as you are with your DIL one day will come.

all the best
    NAYA

3. Mihisha

Mihisha Senior IL'ite

Dear Mam

Wow.. I had no idea that you had tried so much, If my MIL tries today to mend our relationship even with the 50% of the effort you tried, I think everyone wud be happy in my family.....

Mam, I read the posts last night and I felt bad to answer you only thinking from DIL's point of view. I had no idea about the abusing/ other things you mentioned. Looks like that things have really gone wrong in the past and gradually this USDIL has taken decisions to stay away from you as much she can..... I wonder what your son has to say in this? Did you talk it out with your son? Did you tell him how you are feeling? Please do let him know that you are all up for mending the relation..

I wish things could take a turn and make her feel more humane with you.. there are infinite attitude issues among girls... so may mysterious hurts/revenges/plans keep on going in a hurt girls heart.....

The only medicine to this is give selfless bountiful love to her..... you have nothing to lose in this strategy..... in your mind, decide that you wud not allow yourself to get hurt by her treatment and only keep on giving her love.. dont expect anything in return.... please do not let these things effect your health, you have a nice daughter and India DIL who is better than this DIL... so enjoy with them.. but dont forget to involve this USDIL in family things..... Just forget anything from her and keep loving her, keep fulfilling your duties.... rest leave it to God.....

Tc

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Ma'am,

I have been following your thread, especially because it is one of it kind ! :)

I think you have done enough to handle things diplomatically. That should do to anyone. Be it a DIL or a MIL.. First of all, you are a human with plain feelings.. Sometmes, we dont know why a person dont want to get acquainted with us.. Unless it is a must we wouldnt go out of way too, to undo things we are clueless about !

Guess, the best you can do is to leave her alone.. She will get acquainted if she wants to, really ! Else, if she is better off that way, good for her.

When a DIL comes and posts here saying, I've done my best to keep things cordial and peaceful between me and my MIL, we ask her to not
    " bend backwards " for anything. We say, do your best and leave it at that.

End of the day it a'int about a DIL or MIL, Ma'am.. It is simply about RELATIONSHIPS. So, I think you need to take a break from being nice to just being cordial. It wont hurt her I am sure. Will atleast see if she is missing you, at all ! However, you are a nice lady so just relax. Dont bother.

5. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

That's for sure Jayanthi. If ever you get fed up of waiting for your dil to come around, you can adopt one of us dil's here on indusladies. We ALL wish we had a mil more like you. :hatsoff

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

ASG & Jayanthi Madam

I liked this idea:cheersI am also ready to be adopted:idea

7. Jayanthi2010

Jayanthi2010 New IL'ite

Thank you. Yes, you are right. Reading other people's point of view on our matters or others issues and relating to our issues makes us see things in a different way and sometimes makes us realize our mistakes and correct them. Correct! It will make us wiser.

No!! NO!! Don't feel bad. Listen, I need to see from DIL side too....right? And by your post and other young ladies posts it made me see from that point of view also. Good that you came up so frankly. Thank you.

Believe me, I have not expressed anything to my son till today.My husband and I do not want him to get dragged into this. Reason is you might be knowing how men will react if their mother starts expressing her unhappiness over something his wife did. He will immediately react strongly and that will spoil their relationship. They are both happy so why should we disturb that. And she is a grown up so I thought I can talk to her calmly and get it across without my son into this. Sometimes, men will leave the actual problem and start seeing other things all unnecessary ones. That is why I wanted to avoid my son in this. But anyway, nothing to worry, she is still young and with age she will understand our feelings towards her.

Yes, this is the only solution. The day my sons got married, we (my husband and I) considered DILs are our family members. I even tell them that. I talk to them about relatives, our life when children were small, share every bit of my family story with them. These days my 2nd DIL knows more about our relatives than my daughter because she has stopped catching up this side completely as she is busy with her husband's family and their relatives. Even for festival, though they live far, I call them wish them, ask what specials they are making and tell my side. Anyway, I hope my 1st DIL will understand that we are only trying to bring her closer and not misunderstand as interfering.
    And that is why my husband and I decided we will not go to US anymore to visit them. When they come we will be as we are now and carry on.

Thank you and hope you also find happiness with your MIL.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Hehe ... ladiesssss,

WE HAVE A DIFFERENT FORUM FOR " ADOPTION " !!! :thumbsup THIS IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR " BECAUSE OF LAWS' RELATIONSHIPS !! "

9. divs

divs New IL'ite

I'm not sure people are going to like this response of mine but can we look at it from another perspective? Firstly, Mam, I don't think your DIL has been particularly rude to you. Aloof yes, but not rude unless I am missing something here. Her wanting to go home on the eve of a function doesn't strike to me as particularly wrong. If she had insisted your son also follow suit and leave, that would be wrong. But her wanting to go to her parents place, in my opinion, isn't wrong at all. Even the day before a function. After all, she is in India on a short visit and its natural for her to want to spend as much time as possible with her parents. A little sad for you, yes, that she isn't getting involved but definitely not wrong.

From what I can see, your DIL is really the aloof type who maintains a distance and you want to get close to someone who prefers to keep to herself. Therein lies the issue. Lets consider this: When we attend a social event, we come across all types of people - the extremely talkative ones you wish would for once shut up, the moderately talkative ones, the inquisitive ones and also the silent type who prefer to sit in a corner. Try striking a conversation with the silent one and you are bound to get answers in monosyllables. Often times your genuinely concerned questions about what they do/ how they are, etc do not get reciprocated in equal measure - its almost as if they don't care. Perhaps we could blame them for that. But other times the main reason could be that they simply aren't as forthcoming as you are. (Malavika, where are you? Is there any psychological explanation for this? :)) Anway, maybe that is really how your DIL is - aloof and tongue-tied on most occassions. Now I'm not at all debating if what your DIL did is right or wrong here but merely stating a possibility.

You mention 'cold treatment' - was it silent or outright rude? I ask all this because your DIL might just be the very silent type who isn't too expressive at all. You might want her to warm up to you as your own daughter, but maybe that is not something she is comfortable with. Your other DIL in India might be one of those gregarious extroverts. But if your DIL in the US is really the kind who maintains a distance, there is nothing much you can do. As long as it isn't outright rude and hinders you from doing what you want, we can only leave it at that. Expectation mismatches can lead to a lot of anguish and grief. Again, I'm not justifying your DIL's actions but am merely stating a possibility here. Without bracketing her as wrong, if we can just come to terms with the possibilty that she is extremely aloof and likes to maintain a distance, it would help your case.

As for the issue regarding your grandchildren, how do we know your son did not impose that condition and your DIL is merely following his advise? You will never know until you ask, isn't it? So next time you want your grandkids to be with you, just causually mention that to your son. If he is also not in agreement, then there's nothing you can do about it. But unless you know for sure, we can't really say your DIL is the one stressing on this.
    It might sound like I am in support of your DIL here, but really I am just trying to present a different possibility here. Feel beter.

Divs

10. Jayanthi2010

Jayanthi2010 New IL'ite

Yes, Preethi that is what we have decided to do now after our recent US trip. My husband and I decided we will not go anymore to visit them and if they come it is alright. We will be nice to them as now. Because sometimes lot of time is needed to settle things in mind, so we will leave it there now. She is young and will understand over time. We hope that.
    Thank you for your post.

:rotfl:rotfl Thank you asuitablegirl and SriVidya for your compliments.

But I will not exchange my current two DILs for anything in this world.....not even you .........sorrrrryyyyyyy.........Pls dont mind.......:biglaugh

I have two lovely ladies as my DILs and I am very happy with them. So what if one is moody with us?? She will get over and be fine.
    After all, she is one in our family. We are enough people to make her happy.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Thank you.