1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Millet Menus For 7-12 Months Babies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Ooviya, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Hi, My pead. suggested to start millets.. i dont know how to prepare menu for my 8 month old baby.. could you pls share different menus in different milets for babies..

stayblessed likes this.

2. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

You can soak ragi for 12 to 14 hours, then sprout it, roast it and grind it to powder. You can make porridge out of it and give. I don't know if you can give kambu and other millets for 7 to 1 months baby. You can ask the ped if you can give any millet at this age. If he says yes, you can give sorghum(solam, jowar), kambu(bajra) in the same method as ragi. You can make a multigrain porridge powder and give the same.

Ooviya likes this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Millets can be used for making idlies. At 8 months, you can give an idly to a baby. It is fun to hold, and eat. You can make them in hand-holding shapes as well.
    There are a few recipes on the internet. Use the version with less urad. You can also substitute Toor for half the urad. This would make diapers less smelly.
    Parents can also eat this idly, because it is less in carbohydrates, and calories.
    Thinai Idli Recipe-Foxtail Millet Idly-Millet Recipes | Padhuskitchen

Ooviya likes this.
  4. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you dears.. am giving Ragi porridge. i dont know how to use varagu, samai, thinai etc

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Home Made Nutritious Malt / Formula food for babies...

Wash the millets like ragi bajra well. There is a layer called sonai(tamil) that is not good for digestion. Rub well and clean dry and roast well before grinding.

Always give very litte and in the early morning to observe how your lo reacts

Ooviya likes this.
  6. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Hello Shanvy Mam, Hope u r doing good.. Happy New year. I gotadmission for my kid in GTA school.. now am i Mogappair.. Next move to near by GTA school.. which area is best to move?? My hubby's office at Ascendas.. please give ur suggestions reg. best place to move- security first? and urreviews abtthat School mam... Thanks in Advance. Ameagerlywaiting for ur Reply..

7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I'm unable to prepare millet powders at home..pls suggest good brands of kanji powders available for babies in India..

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Needtobestrong likes this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Simplest recipe i followed is

A spoonful of Ragi powder +water + salt + little ghee and cook for 5 - 8 minutes till you feel Ragi is fully cooked

A spoonful of ragi powder + water+ sugar + milk + little ghee and cook

I used to cook in microwave for 3 minutes by stirring in between 1 minute interval

For sweet version You can also Add apple purée while cooking or mashed banana after cooking

You can also add almond , kaju powder once the baby is little older ...

I tried sprouting and making powder , my kid rejected it .

Initially I used something called Silver spoon brand of ragi powder , it used to be available in medical Shops , not sure if they carry any more