1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Milk shake recipes for toddlers

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by writeme, Feb 7, 2012.

1. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My little one is a picky eater and she doesn't like any kind of fruits. I think its mainly because fruits are sometimes a bit tangy and sour. Can someone share ideas on how to make kids eat fruits?

I also want some milk shake recipes as its an easier way to make them eat fruits. Heard many fruit-milk combinations are not recommended. Can IL moms share their healthy milk shake recipes?

Not just shakes in that matter, but any toddler recipes are welcome. My baby (she is 1yr old) has an aversion to solids off late, so I'm very much worried. Any tips or recipes will help me!

Thanks,
    Indu

2. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Hi Indu, 1 year is a bit too early for the kid to start with solids. But still, its the right time to start. Even mine is a toddler, a boy of 2-years old. I did not have any trouble in his eating. But, try beating apples in a mixer, a little milk and required amount of sugar. You can add a bit of chocolate or strawberry syrup to make it tastier. I gave what is called kanji in tamil. It was made of boiled rice, a few pepper, saunf, cumin ground in flour machine store, or the mixer. I boil it in hot water until it becomes a thick liquid, like the milkshake.. Then I mix it with water and sugar to give him. He really liked it. Try it out. This has almost the same nourishment as the fruits. They will start eating fruits once they grow a bit older. Good luck.:)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

You can give

orange juice mixed with honey

Strawberry with milk and jaggery or honey

Mango milkshake

Avacado milkshake with chocolate syrup( but it comes too thick so you need to dilute it with more milk or prepare according to your little one's taste)

Apple milkshake,

Banana milkshake. Better to add honey or jaggery for taste than using sugar.:)

4. koala

koala Silver IL'ite

I blend 1/4 avacado with 1 date in 220 mls milk strain it and give it tastes yummy.

5. nithyanaga

nithyanaga Bronze IL'ite

hi
    you can try my recipe too

1.apple mlk shk

-> 1/2 finely chopped apple
    -> take 1 or 2 tabl spoon of cornflakes and 1 or 2 biscuit with 1/4 cup of boiled milk(within 10mins all will bcome soft)
    ->after 15mins beating all those things in mixer with 1/2 tspn of sugar(or honey)

2. sweet lime juice is very simple. no need to add any other things.sweet lime with sugar give more taste.
    it is the correct to introduce wseet lime..it give more immunity for cold

2 people like this.
  6. rsmadras

rsmadras Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    My boy gonna become toddler in a month. Already I started giving him fruits like sweet lime, chikkoo, papaya, elakki banana and boiled apple. I ve not introduced him cows milk. So no juices except sweet lime. Babies hates bitter tastes so you taste the fruit first and then give them. Coz of climate change some fruits won't tastes good. Avoid adding sugar and too much milk. Introduce babies to natural sweet taste which is there in the fruits. If you wish you can add honey.

7. infotech

infotech Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    I will give some recipes which I saw in TV given by Mallika Badrinath(famous cooking expert)
    See to that u start from a single ingredient before trying it. For example the soup given below contains dhal carrot etc. First day try, only with dhal. If your baby accepts it, then the next day add 1 veg, following day add 2 veg etc.

1. soup(from 7 months baby)
    2 tsp green gram dhal, 1 tomato, carrot/beetroot/potato pressure cook and grind it. Then strain it add salt, 1/4 tsp butter, 1 pinch jeera powder, pepper powder.

2.kheer(from 8 months)
    pressure cook 2 tblsp green gram dhal until soft. Add water, roasted bengal gram(pottukadalai) dissolved in milk and cook it for 2 minutes. Add dissolved jaggery water. switch off immediately. jaggery(u will get iron)

3. Aval Payasam(from 8 months)(A wholesomemeal)
    Clen Red aval(poha, flattened rice)(B complex, Iron,Carbo,Protein). Fry it in 1 pinch ghee. Grind it coarse (or powder it fully if u have not started solids)
    Boil Channa dhal(1 tblsp)(protein) in pressure cooker until soft.
    Jaggery(protein, Iron, B complex) - Dissolve in water and stain it
    Carrot(Vit A) Pressure cook until soft and smash
    Mix Milk(protein, calcium) and water add aval and stir it until aval gets cooked. Then add Smashed channa dhal and carrot. Add Jaggery water.Switch off . Add fried cashew, kismis for 1 1/2 to 2 year child.
    This payasam contains all nutrients.

4. Puttu(from 9 months onwards)
    200 gms puffed rice(pori) wipe it with a dry cloth. Powder roasted groundnut(40 gms), Roasted channa dhal(80 gms) along with pori. Take it and add little salt and little water(as we do for puttu), mix it(Consistency should be like bread crumbs). Steam it. Add powdered jaggery.
    U can give this as kanji also.

My sister-in-law used to give satthu mavu kanji to her 1 1/2 year old baby. The recipe is as follows:
    Ragi, Roasted channa dhal, Wheat, Corn(makkacholam- white- small one), Kambu, Red rice(puttu rice), Green moong(pachapayaru)
    badam, pista,cashew - less quantity.
    Dry roast everything little by little. Grind it in a mill and make kanji adding salt or sugar.
    If u add salt u can mix boiled veg like carrot, potato, beetroot, yellow pumkin etc with it
    If u add sugar u can add milk and boiled veg like carrot or boiled apple.
    But try adding one by one. Start with ragi when ur baby is 6 months, then u can add roasted channa dal, then a week or month later u can add green moong etc. If ur baby is able to digest the food, then u can increase the ingredients one by one.

bye,
    bindhu.

3 people like this.
  8. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for the detailed recipes.. This helps.. Let me try out one by one :)

Yesterday I gave her chicken+veggies soup. It was a hit, thankfully :) The recipe follows.

Cooked a small piece of chicken first, then added 1/4 carrot, 3-4 beans, and few corn kernals adding salt, pepper and 1/4 water. Once cooked, mince these and retain the stock. Add the minced chicken+veg to the stock and boil once again. Ready to serve!

Soup should be thick enough, so dont add too much water to cook veggies.

9. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I used to give my Daughter the below combination of milk shake she likes it very much.

In mixy/blender add 2 figs, 2 dates, 2 badam, 5 dry grapes, a pinch of jaggery and grind it well then add apple or banana or banana+papaya combination and add 1/4 cup of milk and grind again.

10. karthijey

karthijey New IL'ite

Thanks ILites, I was wondering how to feed my 2yr old kid with fruits, as he hates them. I tried all fruits such as strawberry, Litchie, Guava, apple.....but no use....Then i decided to start feeding him with boiled veggies... This worked a bit though not worst...

Now as i read most useful fruits recepies, i m eager to try them, i believe my kid would like to have a change...
    Thank u all for sharing.....