1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

milk feeding during night..

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by titli, May 5, 2009.

1. titli

titli New IL'ite

hi ladies,
    i hv a 13 month old son n i am feeding him formula milk during night. he drinks atleast 2 times during night..
    i wanted to know till what age shd i give him milk during night...can i gradually stop giving milk.
    thanks
    titli

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Titli,

My son used to drink (Cow's) milk from bottle even until 3 years, during the night and doze off to sleep with the bottle in mouth. He used to regularly wake up asking for milk in bottle. For most kids that's a comforting factor, I suppose. You'll have to cut down gradually... there's no specific age limit on this.

Latha

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Titli, I think I stopped the night feeding around 15 months. You can try giving water instead of milk. Or try gradually bringing the amount down.

5. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

I was thinking of posting the same Q. Thanks titli.

I trying to cut back but its very hard. So once she is awake I clean her tongue with a wash cloth. For the past one week she takes one bottle(used to be 2), she takes milk in tumbler during normal time but when she wants to sleep, she demands bottle.

I am planning to cut the night time completely. Hope it goes well.

Thanks Vanathi, Latha.

Dhivya

6. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

My Paedi asked to reduce right from 4thmonth, she said that if she wakes give her orelse you don't wake her and feed. This is to teach the difference between night and morning.

But my kid use to wake thrice in 4thmonth, twice in 5&6thmonth, From 7th what i did i give at 10p.m, then earlymorning the time she wakes (say 5a.m or 5.30a.m)

Now she is 8mth, she got completely scheduled to this system, she have her dinner at9p.m & wakes at6.30a.m for milk....

Hopes others also will able give you more suggestions and their opinion.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

I’m also trying to reduce night time formula feeding for my 19month old. Though he goes to sleep on a full tummy, he wakes up around 3am and demands milk (searches for my breast, which I avoid and force the bottle into his mouth). But when I offer water instead of milk he rejects. Now a days I’m fed up of BF and would like to stop it asap.:hide: shall check for advices regarding weaning LO off BF for ideas.. if any new sugestions, pls pour in.

8. titli

titli New IL'ite

hi
    thank you everyone for ur useful suggestions...i think i shd gradually stop giving milk..
    thanks once again..
    titli

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

REshmi, your LO is seeking comfort. If breastfeeding is not working for YOU, you may want to do gentler weaning techniques like pacifying him by rocking or talking to him to soothe. Forcing the bottle in seems a wasteful habit to incorporate now - when your LO does not take bottle in the day time and then weaning again at a later stage.)

10. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

yes I'm sure he is seeking comfort,that is why even if he doesn't get milk,he keeps sucking (actually wants the nipple in mouth to fall asleep!) and that leads to my discomfort.
    he takes milk from the bottle (weaning off bottle won't be a problem I suppose as he loves to drink from a cup) at night in half sleep but i wonder how I'll make him drink water instead of milk.
    i tried this several times..but he'll scream out and wake all others at home :bonk. so my conclusion: a bottle in his mouth saves others sleep!:hide: