1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Sneaking Into My Girl

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SimplelLife, Apr 2, 2019.

1. SimplelLife

SimplelLife Silver IL'ite

hey ladies..
    Mil is here and I am becoming more and more frustrated each day. As I mentioned earlier she does not have good vibes for me, even this time she finds fault in the way I do things for my daughter and dh gave me suggestions which he never did till now .. I asked him from where you are getting this wisdom suddenly since no man have knowledge of such things in front of mil. The things which irritates me the most is she is sneaking into my daughter every time. If my dd wants to do something with me she will ask her dadi will do. If me and dd going outside she will ask her sould dadi come? It’s like for everything. She tries to become most important person in dd’s life. Till now I am just ignoring her or telling dd I will do it for her. I understand many of you will justify it like it’s grandparents love and all that but I can’t digest it since I know her nature. She is always in the competition with her dils. Even when I went to India when dd was not going to her and giving preference to me she kind of challenge me by snatching her from me and saying let’s see who will win your mummy or me. I am feeling like she is trying to snatch her from me again. She will be here for more than one and half month more. I will got mad in that period for sure.

2. vijayan13680

vijayan13680 Bronze IL'ite

Hey ,

Its quite difficult to live with such people.

I had a few questions though ....

a) Whats the worst that could happen if your DD is with her grandma for next 1.5m ?

b) Do you think love is exclusive in nature or that it can be given to many people at once ?

c) Whats the most irritable incident and most lovely incident with your mil ? ( or what do u hate and what u love the most in her ) ?

WOuld love to see ur answers to these 3 questions. WIll help us to answer u better.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  3. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

I completely understand your POV SimpleLife.

My MIL is very similar to yours, she competes with me for EVERYTHING. My MIL has no daughters - only sons, so that is usually her constant excuse for "butting" into things with my daughter. When she visits, she tries to "encroach" and say "oh , your mom doesnt know how to tie your hair, let me do it for you . I wish I had a daughter that I could dress up . Well, now I have you.". etc etc.

Once I complained to my H and he responded "well, she never had daughters, so thats why". How is that MY fault? I DONT have any MORE daughters either. I WANT to dress up my daughter and be able to choose her outfit for her 1st bday too! I absolutely dont understand this logic of "its just 1.5 months , let it go". MILs need to understand that they are grandparents and NOT parents.

Anyway, the way I dealt with it was to tell her firmly but politely " For now, I am here . Let me do it. If I am not there, you can do it ". But until you say it, she will keep competing.

senorita2019 likes this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

She is here only for 1.5 months. Maybe she wants to spend entire time with her grandkid

5. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

I understand how frustrating that could be. I am very sure, even if she tries so much also, she can always be the grandma only. She can never become your daughter's mother. It is only you. You always keep telling this to yourself. Let MIL have a solo competition. Dont feel that you have to prove her anything. Keep reminding her that she will always have only the grandma role in your Dd's life. Even before your Dd asks something about Dadi, you first tell your Dd that call dadi with us. Always you be the 1st person to tell this. Nothing will change even if your Dd prefers dadi. Say that you got some free time for yourself. Nothing will change even if your Dd spends some time with dadi. Dont think that you lose if Dd wants to be with dadi for a while.

Sunshine04 and deepthyanoop like this.
  6. SimplelLife

a) Whats the worst that could happen if your DD is with her grandma for next 1.5m ?

Thanks for your reply
    She is a sweet talker with honey coated tongue . Even I, a grown up adult misunderstood her as a nice person and my well wisher earlier. I personally never seen such a manipulator around me though I have had grown up in saveral places with different cultural background of people. She is unique in her meanness. When I was newly wedded she presented all the people she is not liking as evil though I got to know different scenarios latter. I want to keep an eye on the company dd is bonding with In the same way we control the company our kids are hanging out in school. It would be my worst nightmare for dd to turning into her grandmother when she grown up and breaking other houses.

Somewhere I have this resentment that mil never cared to ask me my well-being when I was pregnant, never did anything when she came here 2 months prior to my delivery and now she want to play with my daughter.. this is the same girl I had in my womb when she does nt missed a chance to made my life vulnerable.

And lastly I am afraid she will poison dd’s mind the way she did with dh not in those 1.5 months but later making her bond stronger.

B)

No, love is not exclusive, we cAn spread it in many peoples life at once. But this does not apply over people who play favourism over their future prospective of gaining monetary things

C) I have so many irritable incidents with her.. confused which one blows my blood more. For now I think the one when I was asking for epidural after 7 hrs labour and she was giving a wicked smile. Before that she was sleeping there and actually snoring the whole time. Other one is when My father past away when I was pregnant and when she went there at my place to meet she gave them list of things she want for the baby shower which would be done after More than 5 months.
    Though I don’t love her for anything,, I can appreciate her one thing .. though she complain over tiniest thing to her sons she never fight with me at my face. I have nothing to love about her. Some of you will tell me she brought up your husband and I should be grateful for that. For this she happen to be the mother the man I marry and that does not draw any favor on me, even my parents brought me up and they never play superiority over my husband.

I hope this will help.

7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

That's worse. Backbiting

Chocolatey likes this.
  8. SimplelLife

Thanks for understanding .
    Absolutely true.. it’s not just 1.5 months, it’s every time they will be here and going back all demands I used to do this thing there.

If I will ask her that now I am here we will definitely have a fight later in near future. Though I am noticing significant changes in my dh ‘s behavior but the fact is he is her son .

9. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi dear,
    Relax. Your mil just wants to irritate you.You and your husband are the most important people in your daughter's life. No one can change that.Do you have friends there? If your mil wants to spend some time with your daughter,allow her. Ask her, if she can take care of DD while you go out with your friends for some shopping and movies or go out with husband or even when you take some time for yourself.Trust me if you do this repeatedly, Mil will not be that keen to DD. Don't worry about Mil brain washing your child. You are her mother and no one can turn her against you. She is just an old lady who can be jealous and love to play with dil's emotions. Deal with her tactfully. All the best.

Chocolatey and SimplelLife like this.
  10. SimplelLife

You are right that’s worst but now I am feeling if she will fight over tiniest thing the way she complains that would be most terrible. In this way atleast I have to fight with dh once in a while when he would ask me, so something better in this worst situation.

Sunshine04 likes this.