1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Problems Help Please . More Suggestions How Handle

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sangeeta85, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

I have got the worst mil ever I can't write each n every thing she has done to me if I then it takes book.. in short want to say she had created rift between me n my husband,I got that sorted out .. now she only looks where I make a mistake n start a fight .. I just can't take it on top she is here with me from months..I don't mind her staying but I don't want her to fight with me.. there were times wen I would politely ask her to even move she would start how dare u ask me to move m ur mil .. she has created drama in my life ...told everyone that m the bad person but when I meet those ppl they r very happy bcz I do everything to make inlaws family happy.. now I don't feel like to do .. I have told silly situations but there are many hurtful stuff mil n fil have done ..I can't ask them to leave but can someone tell me How to handle these ppl ..even tell me do I need to do any god pooja to have peaceful mind n house..
    I have spoiled my health bcz of over thinking n sleepless night..
    Gone through lot with health n even now it's going on..

cravingforhlove and Cantdecide like this.

2. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

I'm sorry that you are in this position. First, stop trying to live your life making them happy. They will not be no matter what you do. What is the situation are you in now? Where do you live? How long have you been married? Kids? Do you work?

Sangeeta85 likes this.
  3. Rukmini78

Rukmini78 New IL'ite

Sorry to here about your situation, firstly are you in a good position with your husband in terms of discussing things that bother you. Does he lend a thoughtful ear? And number of years into your wedding also matter! Do you have kids?. Was yours an arranged marriage? Unfortunately there still a few people in today's era of forwardness a bit backward, so instead feeling bad try to understand why she does things; this would help you. If you have sister in laws, co sisters etc also matters. And most important of all you need to give a deaf ear to things that are irrelevant to you. You can either confront the issue by getting of with a tussle or try to just ignore them. Keep your mind occupied with things that you enjoy. Most importantly you need to be in good equation with you better half, because at the end of the day only that matters. Girl honestly spoiling your health and trying to make people happy out of your way is really not worth a droplet if it is not reciprocated. And prayer definitely helps. There are various slokas that are available online for good home atmosphere. Sri Hanuman slokas helps in clearling any health problems. Sankatanaasha ganesha stotram helps keep a good environment at home.

Take care

Cantdecide and Sangeeta85 like this.
  4. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Thanks ladies..
    I have been married for 8 years .have 1 son.. my husband got to know his mother behavior towards me .. he did argued for me and even after he has spoken to her she dared to argue with me again recently on maha shivaratri fasting saying I follow my native way of worshiping n not the inlaws way..i remember she had fought with me on maha shivaratri few years back too .. I had once mentioned her I like to do this one fasting whole heartedly... believe me my inlaws r educated both and fil was at justice department n this is the atmosphere at home..
    mil n fil don't talk they just start to argue .. stop talking to me ..
    I feel like to cry the way these ppl have treated me n my family..
    I have this hate for them but it's more damaging me then them I know this but I don't know how to come out of it.. I felt like I did the fasting whole heartedly but god just watched she being mean to me.. I am very sensitive person but never scared of anything in my life before marriage but after marriage n this ppl fighting I m scared to much frequently thinking did they get mad at me or did I say anything that upset them would they fight .. how will my day go .. thinking n over thinking lost sleep.. I was not like this at all ..I can't argue back my body starts to shiver,I did tell my mil n in front of fil touch me nnsee i m shivering..the worst is my husband had told them not to fight with me it effects her health even then she did right after my endoscopy..
    there is so much still to say ,, my eyes r just watering ..
    I tried to understand her but all the time they just took advantage of me n my husband good nature..

sindmani and Cantdecide like this.
  5. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

I don't work ...

Cantdecide likes this.
  6. Rukmini78

Rukmini78 New IL'ite

Please don't be heart broken, you have a son and a caring husband that's all matters sangeeta!. I know I am going to sound all philosophical, but believe me there are only a few reasons why in laws especially MIL get all on the wrong side.
    • She might just be too possessive of her son and after the wedding like usual adults, her son would have to focus a bit of that attention to his wife. So small things could lead to bigger issues.
    • She would have had a rough past with her MIL or her husband could have been an disappointment, witnessing the vivid relationship her son shares with his wife would trigger a zillion emotions which eventually going to come down on the weakest link. Unfortunately we are always the one from some other family and never consider as their family.
    • She has a few relatives who tend to influence her in her decision making And try to manipulate her into being who she is towards her DIL.
    In any of these situations you as such can't calm her behavior down, she should either realize it on her own or you need to try sit down and talk to her along with your husband. The only immediate way out is physically move out and stay separately in another house if possible. You don't have to be in a different place but just move out probably even next door. So that they are on their own and have as little as interactions as possible. Considering it's eight years of marriage, I am sure ur husband would be a great support.

Kindly do not spoil your health, you have a son who would look at you everyday and be glad that your there for him. You stay healthy and prove to be the mother you are than the mother his dad has.

Cheer up gal!! There so many things in life that would bring happiness. Two human being can't change your world.

Sunshine04 and Cantdecide like this.
  7. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Do you live together or are they just visiting? The best thing for your own peace of mind is first to learn to ignore them and not give weight to what they say. Easier said than done, but start practicing there. If they don't like how you fast or worship, know that you are doing what is right for you and what you believe it. Just think of it like if they said you are wrong to drink water from a cup instead of a glass - what does it matter and they are no more right than you are. The best revenge is to live a good life - do what makes you happy, and if they are being rude or unreasonable, sometimes the easiest thing is to just walk away. Maybe they will think you are rude, but it's just to protect your own peace of mind.

Sangeeta85, Sunshine04 and Rukmini78 like this.
  8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hmm. I wonder what the point is of being educated and having had a good life when they can't treat another individual as an equal. Clearly they are just bullies.

I suggest that you read up about how to handle bullies. It is brilliant that your husband stands up for you. That is a good sign and make sure that you protect your relationship with him and any cost .

Now, you need to get some perspective. Remember the following.

1. They aren't going to be happy with you even if you bring them the moon and the stars on a plate. It's not your fault. It is their problem. Don't make it yours.

2. They need an audience for their dramas. Don't be one. Leave the place immediately. Go to another room or go for a walk.

3. Don't explain yourself to them and open yourself up to more criticism.

4. Have stock phrases to use when they are unreasonable - like "I'll handle it my way." or "I prefer doing it differently" for inane suggestions; "I don't want to argue." or "you need to calm down first." or "you are being unreasonable." or even "you need too think of what yo are talking especially in front of the child." All of this said politely but firmly. Ignore them when you've said it and move away. Don't react or show them how worried you are.

5. It is important for your to be strong and take care of yourself. Do what suits you in the way it suits you. The rest will fall in place as long as you refrain from explaining yourself and bowing down to them.

6. They do nt deserve any extra respect just because they are your ILs. Reward good behaviour with niceness and ignore them when they behave badly instead of trying to please them more.

Get some counselling to heal yourself too if you can. It will help immensely

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  9. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot ladies for understanding what I m trying to say ..
    They are just visiting.. still 37 more days to go ..
    I will learn to ignore her and learn to be firm n stop getting scared .. I don't know I can't fight back or argue.. as you said if I go away to another room wen arguing they just stop talking to me for days.. if I m at their place she will say ok don't do anything just go away..
    They r making me feel guilty by saying we dint wanted to come here bcz my husband said them not to fight bcz of it effects my health n she said if bcz of us ur health is get spoiled y should we come..but my husband had not said that even though its true..
    I got all sorts of health issues ,
    They never bother to ask how my health is..
    Oh lord the way they taunt me all the time is horrible n on top fil does it to to make worst ..
    Will read the book how to handle bullies....thanks for those phrases.. if you have more let me know.. I m very bad at those..

sindmani likes this.
  10. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

It's a long visit - is there any way you can go somewhere for a visit for your own time off? Go out for a weekend and stay with some friends for some peace of mind? If you go away and they stop talking to you, okay fine, you don't want to talk to them either. They have to learn that it's only acceptable for everyone to treat each other with respect, otherwise there is no point in talking.

You don't need to feel guilty if they are saying that you guys don't want them there. That is the truth - if they cannot treat everyone well then they are not going to be welcomed with open arms. If they are able to act mature and good to you then of course you would both be more welcoming. At least your husband is able to see your point of view as well, it's a hard position to be in for both of you. I'm sorry!