1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL order to stop nursing - Who is she to tell me

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by wife1, Feb 2, 2013.

1. wife1

wife1 Senior IL'ite

I really need advice to give it bad to my MIL next time she ask me have you stopped nursing yet or not..???

My id is 1 year now and I do want to stop nursing but by my own terms and situation..every week my MIL ask have you stopped yet or not ? if not, then do so as sooon as possible??//
    I just dnt understand her concern here..it is good for the kid ..actually if I have patience I would do it for 2 years... why is she so bothered???

Pls help me frame my answer to her next time she asks?? I couldnt sleep last night because of her repeated questioning.
    1. this is something personal to me
    2. I she doesnt care about me anyways, then why is she so much bothered
    3. I dnt want to take any order from her..she does everything for her daughter, then she should be giving order to her and not me

Im so pissed right now...frame my answer friends

2. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

Calm down... I think older generation believes that after an year, if we still feed the baby then it will be very very hard to wean. Even my mom says something like you will get very sweet milk after an year. So you should stop. Also my mil was saying that after an year the child needs more solids and should reduce milk intake. That's how much they know and would tell us with best interest on the baby.

I think you can explain that here doctors encourage to feed for 2 years. I want to try that. Plain and simple.

3 people like this.
  3. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

lol. She is much cared about you. She is not saying anything wrong. Even my grandmom use to say such things to her daughter-in-law. Take it in a positive way, and don't look it in a negative way.

2 people like this.
  4. rkk1

rkk1 Gold IL'ite

As long as you are feeding your child enough solid food in addition to milk, then it is okay to nurse a bit longer.... maybe for a few more months. But don't be like those people who are still nursing their 8 year old child, as that is pretty gross.

No need to get angry at your MIL or have her tell you what to do. Just make sure you are taking the child to the pediatrician to make sure your child is growing properly. You can get advice from your child's doctor if you don't feel like getting information from MIL. Next time your MIL asks you about this, you need not discuss this issue with her or give any details. Just say nicely "Thanks for your concern. My child is getting all proper care and nutrition, and we don't need to discuss these details. I have been taking my child to the doctor and he/she is happy with her growth." I would leave it at that.

1 person likes this.
  5. jaanu143

jaanu143 Gold IL'ite

Dont take it hard, nothing is wrong in what she said...After certain age of kid, it will be difficult for u to make them get rid of the habit...I saw some kids pulling their moms pallu infront of every one at age of one and half, 2 years...Then it will be difficult for u to control....

2 people like this.
  6. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

I feel ya. She doesn't mean any thing in this case. Try this one "Works best for me"

Tell her that Don't ask you again and again and your are feeling pressurized. You will call her and let her know once she totally stops it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

I find it funny....

Your thread title is "MIL order to stop nursing - Who is she to tell me" and no where in the post you mentioned that she "ordered" you. She just asked you that if you are still nursing, do stop as soon as possible. She has been in your situation before and has definately has more experience about breast feeding than you. She is saying this for your own good. But the way you took it...I am just WOW !!

I don't blame you. I have seen many threads like this where the title is different and the actual thread is different. So much resentment and anger towards MIL even thought MIL is giving good suggestions or advice. If it was your own mother, would you start a new thread? Would you have the same anger?

2 people like this.
  8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Decent Guy- How about this that it is plain intrusive for someone ..yes...even MIL to ask if DIL is still bf and when she will stop. I am sure OP has a doctor to advice her. Where are the boundaries of decency for a MIL in interfering in another grown woman's life even if she is DIL?

Every woman had her own way of rearing her child and the MIL is nit the sole authority.

1 person likes this.
  9. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

I still don't understand. What if it was her own mother instead of MIL ? Would you still think that would be intrusive?

There is nothing like "sole authority" in this...She never "Ordered", she just asked and suggested to stop it as soon as possible. I am sure she said in a nice way but the OP took it in a rude way. MIL said that because she knows more about breast feeding than the OP am sure. There is no point of "decency" in this. Both are mothers and both are grown women.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Look dear, you are in U.S., baby is in U.S., the feeding equipment is in the U.S., then why giving MIL so much bhaav (importance) ?

A wise person once said in a thread that humor can be used to deliver dissent. So, employ humor to do the needful. How about
    - DH says not to stop (though he is shy to say the same to you)
    - we have to consult astrologer for a good time to stop it
    - I would to stop, but baby is just not leaving my ....

or the naughty
    - i like to breastfeed, don't want to stop..... ever
    - yeah, hubby also is saying same thing... maybe he is jealous... do u think he is jealous? why is he jealous? how long did u breastfeed him?

go on, have some fun.... and post results here.

Seriously, a one time opinion from MIL that it is better not to feed for too long is one thing and easy to politely ignore, but a weekly check up on status is too much. I can understand why OP is so pissed off.

7 people like this.