1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL forces me to wear pure silk sarees & heavy jewels everyday!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by venkitam, Sep 7, 2012.

1. venkitam

venkitam New IL'ite

Hi,

Please give me ideas and suggestions on how to handle a MIL who wants me to wear pure silk sarees and jewelery everyday, that i bought during wedding. She forces me and compels me to wear them everyday.

I feel like a clown. If I back answer and say no, my DH hits me and says i am not respecting his parents!! Is there anyone who wears these pure silk sarees everyday??????

Even he doesnt like if i wear heavy jewelry, but just bcoz his mother says it all, he never supports me!! My MIL keeps the house stinking dirty and she expects me to wear costly clothes and do all household chores..

1 person likes this.

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hmm. Your DH hitting you for back answering?? also I see your Location is in NC , so her visit is it temporary or permanent?

Tell him that if he hits you again you will call 911. Such actions are not appropriate.

6 people like this.
  3. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

I would be more concerned about your "DH" hitting you vs your MIL's suggestion...seriously ?? are educated women so blind as to unable to see what is really WRONG in their lives?

4 people like this.
  4. BPallavi

BPallavi Bronze IL'ite

wake up girl, stand up for yourself! If you dont want to wear it, don't wear it, ask you husband to wear his wedding dress to office everyday if he insists!
    In the initial days of our wedding, my husband raised his hand on me once, I clearly told him, if it happens again, am going to walk out, anytime anyday! That was the first and the last time!
    You dont have to say 911, coz it will simply mess it up even more, but just be firm and bold. It is highly unacceptable for some one to hit you!

7 people like this.
  5. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Ditto to what Tanujam said. Your primary problem here is your husband hitting you , your Mil is secondary. The only reason she can do this is because she know she has support from her stupid son.

You need to do something about physical violence ASAP. Where is your self-worth?

6. falgunid18

falgunid18 Platinum IL'ite

Really. Are you serious? You are not concerned on DH hitting you, but worrying to satisfy your MIL's demands. What is wrong with you? Have you decided to live your life by succumbing to all their tortures. Wake up lady. Do not accept any behaviour like this. Physical abuse is just not acceptable.

Please dont think we are over reacting. All of us will be happy to guide you on your main question of wearing heavy sarees and jewels, but I guess you haven't accepted or seen the reality yourself. Hitting is just inappropriate in any relation.

5 people like this.
  7. serenity2010

serenity2010 New IL'ite

i agree with the ones posted before me. u r concerned about silk sarees, but casually refering to ur hubby hitting u as if it's his routine work????????????
    wake up girl. forget about sarees and jewels and tell him he'll have to face the music if he hits u again. do u live in india or abroad. wherever u live, talk to some one u trust about your abuse. dont take the beatings lieing down. if he is beating u up for such a trivial issue think what will happen to you if you really did some mistake.

8. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

Your MIL also wears costly silk sarees at home ?? Is she influenced by the tamil movie - Mapillai villi MIL who wears heavy jewellery and silk saree at home ?? LOL anyways ... Dont you feel something is seriously wrong for you to just casually tell us your husband hits you ?? Do you understand what the real problem is ??? Please wake up soon :(

9. Ranjitjayanthi

Ranjitjayanthi Silver IL'ite

Hi dear

oh pls!!!!!!!
    resolve the hitting issue first ma....are u newly married ? if so maybe she wants to portrays the jewels n sarees to all her relatives is it so?

pls get d dealing done with ur hubby first dear... let him know to talk things out rather then using his hands on u ...u r not to be abused n do his commands(is he a IT guy??)- tell him his programming is totally in BUGS!!!!!!!!

u have to full stop this now else will continue forever n will have teh habit to do so in front of otehrs as well...

u show ur disagreement with ur mil - house is dirty n i dunn wish to spoil my good clothes in the dirt!!
    (make her wear her heavy sarees n do the house chores too)!!!
    all be well soon dear...

10. venkitam

venkitam New IL'ite

THANKS everyone for your replies. I am in INdia now. we came back from NC. so i cant call911. and the hitting issue got resolved when i walked out and my parents interefered. but the sari issue did not get resolved. MIL thinks silk saree represents richness. she wears silk saris everyday. they all look very old though. she says silk saris is sleeping in shelves, if i dont wear it then what was the use in buying tehm/.. etc.. she nevers listens to waht i talk and keeps shouting. now my dh is telling softly to listen to what my mil says.. i have a 2 yr old daughter and i have to run behind her with these silk saris. i am so happy i can pour out my feeling here. and i feel so connected to you all.. thank you so much. i shall get back soon.. bcoz i dont have much time in front of internet too..