1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil-dil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by periamma, Apr 11, 2018.

1. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@shravs3 Thank you for your compliments ma.Mutual understanding between my dils and myself make us close.My two sons would make fun with us but we won't fall a prey to their game.i admire that great lady from Bangalore .Love and affection must come spontaneously and we should not demand for love and respect .

I was much attached to my Mil like a grand daughter as i was only 17 yrs.old.she is a noble woman .

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    MonikaSG likes this.
  2. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

3. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Here is my understanding about the whole MIL- DIL saga.
    For any relationship to work, both the parties need to understand, co-operate, compromise and finally stop the comparison.

Most of the time, dils look for their mothers in their mils and vice versa, and This leads to unwanted hatred, jealousy and most of the negative emotions.

Everyone wants to talk about how flawed the other person is, and this hatred and blame game becomes ugly in any relationship.
    Why dont we adjust ourselves and mend our egos here and there, before pointing fingers at others....

For a mil, her son is never an adult and is always her pampered cuddlesome and most innocent soul on planet earth, whereas for the dil her husband is a grown up man....

4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

@periamma

Lovely post amma.. I am beginning to understand the longings and disappointment a MIL goes through after i had a child. Although they are proud and happy with their kid’s success and blissful life abroad, I can imagine how heart breaking it is for a parent to know their kid is never coming back home, except for the occasional two week vacation. They cannot see their grand kids as much, pamper them and spoil them with their favorite food and snacks, teach them life lessons and have fun with them..although some parents act that all is well and good with kids settling abroad, I can see that most parents are longing for their kids to be back with them, and I think that is a parent’s nature.
    Glad to know you have a lovely family..

periamma likes this.
  5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I feel dowry itself is wrong . Parents can gift to their daughters whatever they want whenever they want our of their capacity and choice. No need to declare how much they can afford or document before finalising the alliance.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    periamma likes this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@nandinimithun
    "Most of the time, dils look for their mothers in their mils and vice versa, and This leads to unwanted hatred, jealousy and most of the negative emotions."well said ma.sweet response

nandinimithun likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@GoneGirl Thanks for your response .Happy you have caught the correct point of human nature

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@nakshatra1 yes dowry itself is wrong but unfortunately this was started by the girl's parents to show the status of their family.slowly the system was poisoned by greedy parents of the boys.Again i am saying just ignore that greedy people and select a boy who has no demands.Now Love marriages are in full swing and so no dowry .

Fifty years ago alliances were fixed in the near by towns or villages as they thought the traditions are common in the same district.Mostly they will be related to each other and so no need to list the gifts.Then education brought an awareness in choosing grooms from other districts.To avoid unnecessary fight after marriage the declaration of gifts were in the form of Paper which was duly signed by the parents.

9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

10. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Oh my God ! I met a lady once on a flight to the US. We sat next to each other and got talking. She seemed very nice and learned. She had the exact same story .She had lost her husband quite a few years back. Son is in the US with his family and daughter in UK. She stays alone in Bangalore and teaches music ( I am not sure) to the kids. She visits her kids and grandkids every year.She is from Bangalore too . Wonder if she is one and the same :) . Small world .

Sandycandy likes this.