1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL... crazy? Causing too much stress!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Mezy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Mezy

Mezy New IL'ite

I really can't figure out my MIL. I mean, she doesn't seem to care about her children at all. She never really "mothered" them. She treats me really well, she even thanks me for cleaning :shock:, but my DH can't seem to do anything right now matter what he does, around the house or in school.

Every once and a while though, it's like she loses her mind. Last weekend DH and I had a movie night on the couch upstairs. We accidentally left a blanket out, and the next morning we wake up to her screaming about the blanket being left out. For the next two days we had to tiptoe around her as she screamed, cried, and slammed things around about a blanket being left out. Two days! It's like a large two-year-old on a temper tantrum. I've never seen anything like it.

Anyone else have a MIL like this? How do you cope? I'm having a lot of problems dealing with it because my family always got along pretty well. Here it's like a cloud of anger hanging over everyone's head everyday, always waiting for her to go off like a bomb about something insignificant.

2. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

She needs help, seriously. Mental illness is not funny.
    EDIT: Just wanted to add- It's extremely difficult to live with people with mental illness. You need as much help/conselling as her.

1 person likes this.
  3. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

My MIL gets in the lecture mode when things aint done her way, but yes she doesn't slam things. I think ur MIL needs some help. She seems mentally sick with the way she acts with you guys.

4. Mezy

Mezy New IL'ite

I always thought the same thing, but there's no way we can tell her that. She's a doctor, about to get her PhD... she always thinks she knows best. Don't get me wrong, she is a very smart woman... not always logical. When she does something that doesn't make sense, she doesn't listen to anyone else. It is impossible to tell her she is wrong. She'll just argue until you give up or yell until you agree.

And to Monita, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I thought it was funny. I just don't understand. I don't know what to do.

5. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

My MIl she is always ready for lecture(50-60minutes):bonk and she use to say this in my house(MIL) thatz why you are not careful...and every time she want to creat a issue for small-2 things, we normally visit India once in a year for 14-15days in that time everyday she creat some issue..:rant:rant...I really don't want to visit her..:hide::hide:

6. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Mezy, I didn't mean that you find it funny. It was a general statement. You seem to be such a level headed person. I can totally understand what the problem is. I think it will be best if you could take help from a close relative or friend of hers whom you can trust and ideally it should be your DH who should talk to them. You will have to convince your DH for that. You could talk to him saying that mother seems to be really stressed, and you suspect she might be having some hormonal or some such issues and it will be really nice if it could be sorted out. You don't have to mention mental illness.

Mental illness doesn't have anything to do with intelligence at all, and it doesn't mean madness. Anxiety disorder, depression all come under the category of mental illness. It's a very wide category. Unfortunately, because of the taboo attached to it, not many people seek help.

1 person likes this.
  7. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

u r saying she is a doctor 1. they never make matters worse(IMO) for silly reasons I agree with monitha be clear with ur dh about the things happening she needs help tackle her with love & care if u having any sils just talk to them about this thing normally they may help its because of their mother take the step quickly before her illness goes out of ur hands

2.Sorry to say this how is the terms between both of u may be she is pretending that she is disturbed just to make ur life hell but this will be a very rare case as she is a good professional woman I don't think she will stoop this low

Any ways discuss this with ur dh and be fast before its too late all the best dear