1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mil Behaving Rude

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by adisum, Jun 8, 2018.

1. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am in a big dilemma. I don't know why and how it came up to this extent but my mother in law and my husband had a big fight last Sunday because my mother in law was sweeping the floor without waiting for me to get it cleaned by broom first. I just said " let me finish with brooming mummy" She ignored me completely and this triggered my husband. But the blame came on me that he had fought because of me.

I would also like to highlight some previous events:

I got married in Feb 2018 and 3 days after our marriage we went for honeymoon for 4 days.When we came back I noticed a strange feeling from my MIL , i thought she was jealous so I asked my husband to spend more time with her than me. He did the same , everything was going fine but my MIL was ude to me , she was not replying me for anything, ignore me most of the times. whenever we three (me, my husband and MIL) were sitting together, she always talk to my husband and not me.

Whenever I made something new in the kitchen she wont taste it. Then she started sitting away from us. If we both are on ground floor, she will sit at teris and if we are at teris , she will be in kitchen. She wont talk politely, most of the time she was quiet and if talk she spoke rudly.

She started scolding my husband that he do not bring any household things which includes only milk and vegetables as per her. The other things he bought for home like laptop, Air conditioner, snacks, other things like handwash packs, soaps, cooking oil etc etc. I didnt understand why she was so emphasized on milk and veggies only and she constantly kept saying that you dont bring anything for home. My husband was very sad hearing this everyday. He discussed with me , i suggested him to talk to his mom direcctly, when he tried that his mom blamed it on me that I have filled his ears against her and thats why he is talking about all this. again a big fight between two of them.

She is blaming every step of her son on me. If he is happy then that is because of her and other than that everything he feels and do is because of me. Now from last sunday's fight, she is not talking to me and my husband. I prepare meal for everyone after getting home from work and she is preparing her meal separately. Yesterday, my FIL interrupted in this and asked her why she is preparing different meal , she again blamed it on me and said that I have asked my husband to include FIL in this matter. I tried to talk to her yesterday night that if she dont want to talk to me thts fine, at least talk to her son, but she walked away talking rudely.

Is this some sort of insecurity, jealousy or have i done something wrong to let all this happen ????

VinuthaS likes this.

2. VinuthaS

VinuthaS Silver IL'ite

This could be her insecurity or a trap for you to drop your guard and talk to her something annoyed and she could make a mountain of it .... this was my experience. .
    Just start ignoring her and let her do what ever she wants... stop telling your hubby to pacify her also... you never know when they will change things around with 1 incidence...
    So your bit, talk to everyone politely ...take care

nakshatra1, GeetaKashyap and NeetaR like this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

You are newly married and this problem has started just now. You just ignore her behaviour and do your duties. Never argue never fight back and never question what and why. Keep yourself busy and try to be polite else leave. Your first argument will be the start of making problem worse tht you will never be able to cure. So just avoid that in any case.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

She is insecure and struggling with it. She is seeking attention. As @VinuthaS and @messedup suggested, keep your cool. Let mil get hold of her feelings and notice your goodness. It may take some time but eventually it will happen. In the meantime, don't worry, be happy.

shravs3, VinuthaS and messedup like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Insecurity and jealousy. Do not cater to her childish behavior, and do not complain about her to your husband or discuss her behavior endlessly. Also ask your husband not to needlessly fight with her. Both of you ignore her when she starts acting childishly and just do your duties properly. Lack of attention is the best medicine for this. She will get tired of this drama soon when she sees that it is not having an effect.
    Do not allow her to spoil your early married days.

cheenu123 and shravs3 like this.
  6. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Is your husband a single child?
    If yes, then she's insecure.

7. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

As others here have said, she is highly insecure and jealous. The good thing here is that your husband is at least standing up for you. If I were you, I'd stay out of it completely. Don't even discuss with your husband unless he broaches the topic with you first. Don't go out of your way to do anything for her either. You are recently married, hopefully this is just a phase and once she realizes that you aren't going anywhere, hopefully she'll settle down a little and start behaving normally again. In the meantime, just be yourself and pretend like nothing is wrong.
    My MIL was the same when I first got married. Because we didn't live together it took her almost 4 years to accept me.

yellowmango likes this.
  8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Her actions is not normal, she hates you and she is insecure. Good that your DH understands the situation and supports you. Don’t complain about your MIL to your DH but insted praise him and thank him for being there for you and give him a special treat :)

yellowmango and shravs3 like this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

:tearsofjoy::tongueclosed:

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Congrats for your marriage .

Your mil is just being a typical mil.
    Stop trying to give attention to her. When she is in good mood ,talk to her. What she is rude...just avoid her. Trying to pacify her or asking for reason is just feeding her attention seeking ego. The more you do it...the more she will sulk.

If she does not want to be around you both...consider it a gift for you both. Enjoy the privacy she is offering you .

As for her fighting with her son, don't get involved on either side. Stay out of it . They will sort it out between themselves.

You just do your work in the house and then do your thing .

Her talks about not contributing could be about your pay too. May be she is hinting...or may be not.
    Don't bring it up if you do not want to give your pay.
    Make some recurring deposits on your name and keep husband informed about your saving .

If you are fine with contributing,then take up one thing that you would contribute towards...like electricity bill, vegetables, etc.

As for getting blamed for everything...that is a part and parcel of a dil's life in India. You will be blamed for your husband work issues, you will blamed for husband getting cold ....just wait ,you will be blamed if your kid sneezes in future.That is unfortunately the mil's entitlement.
    Since you have to live with her,develop a thick skin. Just ignore and do not pay attention. Act like it does not effect you. That is the fastest way of getting her bored.

Just play it cool. She is itching for a family fight probably to check loyalties. Don't give her the opportunity. Everytime you ignore and avoid...give yourself a pat on your back. That is a small victory.

Keep your husband happy . Let him know how you are trying to keep peace. Tell him you are reacting according to her mood to avoid confrontation in the family hence you are staying aloof but respectful when she is rude to you and you are normal when she is normal.

If he fights for you or stands by you...do not interfere. Just stay in the back ground. Later on let him know how much you appreciate it with a big hug.Less words,more feelings.

If you need to talk to him just to off load some frustration,let him know you are doing it to let off steam so that you can keep cool at home.

Let him know he need not react to it or talk to his mother about the issue.

Let him know you feel better after telling him and hopefully you will be better able to maintain peace .Keep this complaining to minimum.

Best wishes op.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018