Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sathyamvasu

sathyamvasu New IL'ite

Re: Migrating to Melbourne from India - Need info

Hi Tarun,

Thanks again.

Here goes my final list of items for packing. pls add if anything important you feel is missing or needed there.

1. Grinder
    2. Mixie
    3. Rice Cooker (optional. depending upon the baggage limit)
    4. Pressure Cooker
    5. Few non stick items like dosa tawa, kadai and a saute pan
    6. 3/4 stainless steel kitchen utensil
    7. I feel leather jackets aren't of use there. So planning to get thermal wears and sweaters for all three of us.
    8. Few instant or ready mix cooking items which are sealed (to start with our initial days till we find an Indian store nearby)
    9. clothings

anything else you feel is really needed, pls add/advice. Im more cautious as im bringing in my 20 months old kid.

Thanks,
    Sathya M Vasu

2. Tarun

Tarun New IL'ite

Hey Sathya,

Its good to hear that you finally prepared the final list for packing..I would suggest its good to bring some Indian utensils like Kadai, tawa and some other pan that you can't find anywhere else on earth , you can buy these things here but that would be 15 timesMORE expensive while things like mixer /grinder and some non stick pans can be bought here easily but its good to bring them as you will need them from very first day.pressure cooker this good thinking, do bring that with you...don't bring any ready to eat food or mixer as you may be eligible to pay penalty for it on airport....One of my friends brought GITS ready to eat food/ dahi vada mixer and he didn't declare these things in declaration form so he paid $550 as penalty at airport so If you bring anything like this "PLEASE DECLARE THEM IN DECLARATION FORM". You and your cutie pie son will need warm clothes as winter is just around the corner so bring some warm clothes..leather jacket is not in fashion in melbourne so even if you don't bring them won't matter much. Have you guys bought the ticket already ??????????? when you arriving ???????let me know if you got more questions...thats why asked to speak with me on phone so that we can discuss it better...anyways..
    take care
    see how u go

Tarun

3. sathyamvasu

sathyamvasu New IL'ite

Travelling to Melbourne in Winter??? Need suggestions on winter clothes

Hello Ladies,

Myself and my 1 year old daughter are to travel to Melbourne in March end. As known the winter is supposed to begin by end of march and last till end of August (i guess).

Now i have quite a few questions for you.

1. could you please let me know from your experiences what are the most important things that i need to carry for my daughter and myself from INDIA to face winter courageously. Being in Chennai, we have never faced cold winters.

2. I understand winter clothes are neccessary, but now my question would be about the exact type of clothes that i would have to take.

3. Then the shops where i can get these specific clothes in Chennai.

Would be grateful to you all if these clothes are described in detail with their specific names, as am clueless in this area because of being in Chennai.

Thanks,
    Vasu

4. sathyamvasu

sathyamvasu New IL'ite

Hi Tarun,

Thanks a lot for your detailed view. Will call you if I have any other queries. Else will call u once I reach there. held up with shopping and other things.

Thanks,
    Sathya M Vasu

5. Nithya1278

Nithya1278 New IL'ite

Hi MR. Tarun,

Am new to IL team, I was jus gone through some of your replies to Ms. Sathya. I live in India, me and my husband wanted to work in abroad. Especially in Melbourne or Canada places, can you suggest how to get a job in Melbourne???

Your reply would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nithya

6. Tarun

Tarun New IL'ite

Hi Nithya,

First of all I am sorry for a late reply as been busy with job ...hope all good at ur end...well getting a job abroad is not a big thing these days but it depends on the skills you got. Migrating or getting a job in a country depends on the " Skill Requirement " in that country. I have no clue about your and your husband's occupation so can't say anything.

Thanks

Tarun

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  7. daffny

daffny Silver IL'ite

shifting from gulf to Australia

hi

i am in gulf with my husband and 2 kids, 8 yrs and 1.5 yrs, boys. my husband has got an offer from australia and we are in a dilemma whether to accept that or not. here we are very comfortable as it is very near to india and we can go anytime to visit our parents, a big indian community so that you will never feel you are far from india, availability of indian goods.....etc.

i have heard the racism issues in australia and feel little hesitant to shift there. but dont want to miss the chance too. how will be the life style there for indians? what about the studies for indian kids there? if anybody has shifted from gulf pls reply. gayathri this what i wanted to ask.

thanks
    daffny

8. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Re: shifting from gulf to Australia

Hi Daffny

There are many families who have moved to Aus from gulf countries especially about 2 years before until. They have found job and seems to be happy. Your children are young so do you and your DH. So its not a wrong decision to move. Your children will get better education also. These are the positive side. In Gulf especially in Dubai, its safe and secured at any point of time of a day to go out and return.

Negatives:

1. Distance from home town.
    2. Annual leave and passage may not be available
    3. Racism will definitely prevail
    4. No late evening outings due to racist security
    5. Comfort level will definitely be NOT UPTO THE MARK OF GULF RESIDENCY.

Now you may decide for yourself.

Best Regards
    Shanti

9. daffny

daffny Silver IL'ite

thank you very much shanti for your immediate reply. do our children have to study in indian schools like gulf? or in international schools with other nationals? my husband already got offer there. i am a B.E graduate and working as a junior project coordinator in an engineering company here. will it be possible for me to get job there or only IT people have scope?

10. gayathriram

gayathriram Gold IL'ite

Hi daffny,

Schooling here is purely international system.Language you have to teach your kids own. racism is not here, its only media exaggerating the things. People are friendly and a wonderful place to live.

gayathri.