Migrating to Australia - resources and information

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by lahari, Nov 26, 2006.

Best gift for a new born and new mom

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. Gift vouchers

66.7%
  2. Nappies for babies, flowers for mom

4.2%
  3. Clothing for new born, Bio-oil for stretch marks for mom

8.3%
  4. Baby name personalised photo frams, fleece, jacket

12.5%
  5. Pampering and Spa Gift vouchers for new mom to relax

8.3%
  6. Anything else please send on reply post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Princee

Princee New IL'ite

Moving to melbourne

Hi all,

yeah, we got visa for all our family members and planning to move in April. Now i have some questions regarding house, school etc. What is the trend there for rental accomodation (fully,semi or non furnished) and if it is semi-furnished then what type of facilities we can get?
    Pl. suggest some suitable areas.

My other question is - can we get admission (year sixth) in schools in the month of April as one term will be finished there by March(according to internet knowledge). and what documents they demands at the time of admission? Is TC will be required as in India or only marksheet will do?

I heard that Aus immi is very restict to bring eatable items, can we bring indian masalas and pulses as it will be required immidiately? can we get Indian vessels like Pressure cooker, kadahi etc. there or not ?
    Any other suggestion for moving to Aus.

Thanks

2. brahul

brahul New IL'ite

Re: Is Australia Safe for Indians

Hello,
    I appreciate your point of concern about racism in Australia.
    But i do have a question in my mind.Did we hear the news 8 to 10 years back that there are racial attacks only on Indians and on no other community at large.At that time also some of our fellow Indians have been migrated to Australia for better prospects.

But i never came across such news about attacks on Indians.Unless until we go indepth and analyse the situation and reason behind the attacks then onlly we can conclude for the same.

As far as my Knowledge abt Australia,its a wonderful country with very good and friendly people and very nice geographical locations.They provide good facilities in all respects.

Do you know one thing why on this earth only Indians are getting raciestal attacks and why not on other community people who are residing there and doing great with equal responsibility??

What i suggest is try to avoid such places which is unknown to us and why should we try it.Try to avoid late parties/shows till the issues gets resolved.

Wishing you all guys Good Luck and safe living.
    Thanks,

3. supriya84

supriya84 Senior IL'ite

Re: Moving to melbourne

Hi,

First of all most rental properties are unfurnished...but all of them contain some essential items such as stove, oven, grill and built in cupboards for the roms.....

The australian quarantine authority is strict and there are enough and more indian spice shops in Melbourne.....with all the masalas and spices you can think of .....so there is no necessity to carry them from india.....

Apart from indian shops, there are Srilankan and Mauritius shops selling most spices....

I dont know about schooling,(im newly married) someone else myt e able to help you.....

You can get grinder , pressure cooker as well as other indian utensils here but when compared to indian prices these are expensive....(especially for new immigrants....till you find a job)...

For example a preethi grinder might cost between 125 dollars(small one) and 175 dollars(big one.).

Its better if you ship these items from india....but do so if you have lots of heavy stuff to ship....because you have to consider the prices of purchasing these items + indian shipping charges+ australian custom clearance charges......make sure its worth the money....

4. supriya84

supriya84 Senior IL'ite

Re: job that you can expect in australia at the beginning

I would say it may take between 6 months to 9 months to get a job in accounting......

But somepeople get it before that......

However, its easy to get a casual job, and the wages for that are quite good.....

You can get casual jobs through contacts.....cos they want experience even for casual jobs....

5. newsweetwaves

newsweetwaves New IL'ite

Ok, everyone I have been living here for the past 21years, I have not experienced anything like that personally. I have a daughter here who has never experienced anything like that. In general its a very safe place and the incidents that has happened in recent times has taken many of us to surprise. To cut it all short, No we do not experience any threat on our day to day activities here. Hope this helps. I can go on and on but the answer is simple.

6. suchi

suchi New IL'ite

Re: Job Prospects for Accountants any idea

Hi Viki
    Best site to see "seek.com.au" to known abt market.
    Suchi

7. neev

neev New IL'ite

I feel currently that it is a much safer place than Bombay...where women get raped, people stabbed and even freedom of speech is curtailed these days. Where the sena roam free and take their potshots at anyone they fancy...
    Having travelled the world as a single woman i do practice some basic rules of safety, so as not to be targeted by these unsavoury types...be it Bombay or Boston....some common sense should prevail, like in any big city.
    Making a move is a difficult decision, esp if it involves kids and I do understand the premise of peoples thoughts...but to let media hype get the better of us and not be well informed is our loss entirely...its a play for ratings that matters no issues it seems...
    wonder why that crook who burnt his car for insurance money is mum now??

8. Jagapriya

Jagapriya New IL'ite

What kind of dress do the Indian female wear in Australia?

Hi,

I'm 24yrs old female and currently working in chennai as software engineer.As I have a 2weeks of Business trip to melbourne-australia, I would like to know the dressing style,How the Indian females will dress up?How the Australian female(they may wear so modernistically which will not suit for our style:)) will dress up for offices?or jean and long sleeved tops are ok?Are the ladies use salwar?Please let me know the dressing which will not seems as odd..I'm alone flying from my company for the Business issue and its my first international trip,kindly share any information which you have and that would help me a lot..

Thanks,
    Priya

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Re: What kind of dress do the Indian female wear in Australia?

G'day Priya,

Salwar is OK in the privacy of your home/when you go for sightseeing. Certainly not in the office.

If you are comfy only in Salwars/Sarees, you can talk to the HR of the office you are going.

You can never go wrong with a white shirt & black skirt/trousers. It will be autumn soon, so get some woollen clothes with cottons.

Jeans are a no no in an office envoirnment. Long sleved tops are OK.

Dress in Corporate clothes. They are: Suits, Skirts (long & short), trousers, stockings, closed toed shoes.

Hope this helps.

Oz is a warm country. You will enjoy it here.

Regards,

Corallux

10. deepi53

deepi53 New IL'ite

job in melbourne

dear all,
    hello
    we r planning to migrate in australia, but we have kids also. we have permanent residence visa. due this visa what allowance we get immediatly. and pls let me know abt job market. how can we get job immediatly there.

thanks
    deepi