1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave-Safe Containers and tips to use MW.

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, May 27, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Krishnamma,

I am really fine. thanks for asking. thanks for the mention of the blogs. I was on vacation with veda for the last two months so not much into IL.

I waited, as I also wanted to know if you had a better answer.

Hey I hope Saraswathi convinces you to post a photo of you here. now that you have shifted to blore, don't know when i can see you. Ramya told me you were her neighbour. only then came to know how very close we have been..
    may be we can meet when you come down next time.

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi,

Actually when I sent you a PM before you come to India, in that I stated about me. That we are living in Madipakkam and happy to note that you also coming near me. ... like that.
    I think you forgot that. Yes I introduced IL to Janani ( Ramya Varadharajan), you met her on IL's annual day. correct?
    mmmm..... I met Sataswathi and her husband. They are so nice people and me and my husband dint felt that they are new to us.
    :notthatway:But regarding photo me and my husband both against that. Sorry ya.
    I will try my best to meet you my next visit to Madras.
    By the way how is your husband? Hope you would have enjoyed 2 months vacation with him.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Krishnamma,

Veda is fine. we enjoyed the 2 months. I remembered your mentioning madipakkam but by the time I settled in chennai you had shifted to bangalore.
    My bad luck i suppose???

Yes. let us have a nice time during your next visit.

4. krishnaamma

Ya Shanthi,

Correct. we went to Bangalore and you settled in Madras. But no problem our house is there, so whenever I come there I will try to contact you.

5. vidhya78

vidhya78 New IL'ite

dear shanthi,
    thank u for sharing. will try according to ur tips and let u know.
    as u said there is an option for cooking rice but nothing is available for roasting.
    One small doubt, any vessel which is kept in the microwave gets hot(tried borosil bowl also). i cant get the vessel out with bare hands. is there any problem in the mw or is it common? sorry to ask such silly qns. plz bear with me.

thank u in advance,
    vidhya

6. vidhya78

vidhya78 New IL'ite

dear krishnamma,

first of all thanks for ur welcome. i am new to this site but found very warm and useful. ur microwave tips are useful. but still not using to the optimum.

regards,
    vidhya

7. krishnaamma

You are welcome Vidhya.

I read your question to Shanthi also. If the vessel is too hot means you should not use that in MW. When you use in MW the food must be hot not the vessel. If you use baking means, you must have one gloves to remove the dish from the MW. ok ya?

8. kapuchu

kapuchu New IL'ite

Dear krishnamma

Thanks for the tips and use of microwave. I too normally use for reheating and making papad,coffee, tea....

I just want to know if we can use tupperware in MW. esp. the lunchboxes!

thankyou
    bye
    kapuchu

9. krishnaamma

Hi kapuchu,
    no problem you can use them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vidya,

Sorry for not replying immediately. Just checked using a ceramic mug in heating. the mug gets heated to a excent.

Some dishes don't get hot when microwaved. and some do. as long as the dish is microwave safe it is fine to use. always use a glove to keep you from burning or scalding (by spillig of hot liquid) until you are used to cooking in the mw.

You can make a good veg biryani, pulao in the MW.

REgarding roasting, you can still turn the dish few times and roast it on the MW mode also. It all depends on how well roasted u want them.

One word of caution when using borosil/ or any glass bowls , be careful that there is no water on the outerside of the glass and also when u take it out of the MW, ensure there is no water or liquid at the place where u place it..as the glass will break.