1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave-Safe Containers and tips to use MW.

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, May 27, 2008.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Here are some tips to choose the containers which we use in Microwave. And some tips to cook in Microwave.

Everyone knows that microwave ovens are fast and easy to use.
    Use cookware that is specially manufactured for use in the microwave oven.
    Glass, ceramic containers, and all plastics should be labeled for microwave oven use.
    Generally, metal pans or aluminum foil should not be used. The microwaves reflect off them, causing food to cook unevenly and possibly damaging the oven.
    Choose the proper dishes. Always make sure the dishes you use in your microwave are safe for it.
    If you are not sure about a perticular dish, fill it half full of water.
    If the dish gets hot, it is not safe for cooking.
    If the dish gets warm, youcan use it for reheating and
    if the dish stays at room temperature, it is safe for all cooking.
    Always use a dish twice the size of what you are putting in, to it to avoid your food spilling out.
    Do not use gold or silver trimmed dishes. They could ruin the microwave.
    Using containers that are round or oval in shape can help to heat food more evenly.
    With square or rectangular shaped containers, the corners tend to receive more energy, which can cause food to overcook in these areas.
    Use metal measuring cups for both liquid and dry measurements. The glass measuring cups normally used for liquid measurement allow too much variation in amounts, producing variations in result.

keep these tips in mind:

Be sure to use nonmetal utensils in the microwave.

For microwave cooking, cut vegetables in uniform sizes to make sure that they cook evenly.
    Paper plates, cups, and napkins can be used in the microwave. But don't use foil-lined paper products, paper towels that include nylon or synthetic fibers, or newspaper.
    When using plastic roasting or cooking bags in the microwave, discard the wire twist tie and use a plastic fastener or a piece of string instead.
    To ensure that food cooks fully and evenly in the microwave oven, stir food and turn dishes periodically while they're cooking.
    If you wrap a sandwich in paper towels before placing it in the microwave, it won't get soggy.

Salt on the surface of food tends to attract microwaves, which can dry out the outer layer.

If salt is desired, sprinkle it on the food after removal from the microwave.

Contd.,

1 person likes this.

2. krishnaamma

Some more tips.

Here are some more tips:
    If Potato chips that have lost their crunch can be placed on paper towels in the microwave oven and heated briefly. The towels will absorb moisture and restore the chips to crispness.
    Thick-skinned foods, such as potatoes, squash, and tomatoes, trap steam or bust during microwave cooking. Pierce the skins before cooking to allow steam to escape.
    If you want to peel tomatoes or peaches. Heat them for just 30 seconds on high, then allow to stand for 2 minutes. The peel will slip off easily.:hiya
    After cooking, lift container lids and wraps carefully and facing away from you, so that hot steam is released safely. Be careful not to burn yourself.

To clean stuck-on foods and grease from inside your microwave oven, heat two tablespoons of lemon juice in one cup of water on high for 2-3 minutes until boiling.
    Do not open the door for five minutes after heating as the vapors from the liquid will help lift tough grit and grime from microwave surfaces.

Similarly, heating lemon juice in the microwave can help get rid of tough odors. Mix ½ cup lemon juice with 1 to 2 cups of water, cover and heat on high for approximately 5 minutes. And let it be like that for 5 more minutes. Allow the mixture cool before removing.

For really stubborn odors, repeat as necessary. You can also do this with a whole lemon. Just squeeze the juice into the water, then cut up the rind and add it as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. krishnaamma

Can we use Plastic Container ?

Of course, using a plastic item in the microwave that was not labeled for microwave suitability, isn't necessarily "unsafe."

But unless a product is labeled for microwave suitability, you won’t have the assurance of knowing that an item was tested and evaluated for this purpose.

The concern is that, if used inappropriately, an item may warp or melt when exposed to extremely hot foods, and accidental burns could occur.

To play it safe, look for plastics that are labeled for microwave use and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Note that plastics such as butter tubs and deli containers are designed for cold food storage and are not intended for reheating.

If your container isn’t labeled for microwave use, plese avoid using it.

4. krishnaamma

Microwave Cooking Safety Precautions

Do not turn your oven on when it is empty because microwaves may damage the cavity. If you accidentally turn an empty oven on, leave a cup of water in it to absorb the microwaves.
    Only use your microwave oven to heat food. Do not use your oven to dry or heat clothing. The only exceptions are a browning utensil, which is specifically designed to be heated alone in the oven; and some non-food products specifically designed to be heated in the microwave.

Never rest heavy objects such as food containers on the door while it is open.

When thawing frozen foods in the microwave oven it is important to thaw the food thoroughly before cooking.

Do not use microwave ovens for sterilising baby bottles or other food utensils.

Ensure that all food prepared in a microwave oven is stirred and/or left to stand for a few minutes before consuming. In particular, take care when heating a baby's bottle.

Even though the glass bottle may be cool to the touch, the milk could be very hot.

Cases have been reported where babies have received severe burns from drinking liquids taken directly from a microwave oven.

To avoid problems do not heat baby's liquids in a microwave oven. If there are no alternative means, thoroughly shake the bottle to mix the contents and test it's temperature against your skin after heating.

5. krishnaamma

Here are some tips for specific foods.

Apples, potatoes and tomatoes - pierce before cooking to let off steam and avoid splattering.

Butter- To Soften a stick of butter - 50 percent power for 45 seconds.

Chocolate (square) - Melt at 100 percent power for 45 seconds per ounce of chocolate.

Coconut- Toast a cup of coconut at full power for 2-3 minutes. Spread out thinly to your toast.

Citrus fruits like lemon -microwave for 20 seconds & you will get more juice when squeezed.

Day old cookies, crackers, potato chips- Renew at full power for 10 seconds.

Fruit (dried)-Plum by putting in bowl with a little water and cooking them at high power for 20 seconds.

Herbs- Add during the standing time. Dry fresh herbs in your microwave.

Ice Cream- Soften frozen ice cream at 30 percent power for 20 seconds.

Potatoes (mashed) - Cube the potatoes. Add water. Microwave covered until soft.

Potatoes (baked)- Always pierce the skin or cut off the ends to let the steam escape.

Salt- do not add until cooking is finished. Salt draws out moisture.

Vegetables- Cook on high power. Figure around 6-7 minutes per pound. Cover dark green vegetables with wax paper for better flavor and color.

6. krishnaamma

Reheating Food

When reheating meals, check the moisture of the food before putting it in the microwave. You can add a table spoon of water in the food. Or sprinkle water on it.

Cover foods with a lid or a microwave-safe plastic wrap, which will also hold in more moisture and provide safe, even heating.

Allow 2 minutes for each cup of refrigerated food.
    Cover rolls with a napkin or cloth, and cook at fullpower for 20 seconds, more or less depending on the number of rolls.
    Heat gravy for one min. at full power.
    Reheat popcorn at full power for 20 sec.
    Pancakes should be reheated in a paper towel for 25 seconds.

7. vidhya78

vidhya78 New IL'ite

Re: Reheating Food

hi i am vidhya from mumbai. bought a new microwave oven. but still not accustomed to using it. a steamer has been given along with the MW kit. i tried to cook rice in that vessel today. it is 1.3 l capacity. i just cooked only 1 cup of rice in that.i cooked the rice covered with the lid given for that purpose. but kongee type of thing is spilling out. what to do for this? one more doubt, the technician who came for the demo told that even we can keep our non-stick kadai inside the MW only for grill/convection mode? so if i want potato curry to be crispy shall i give the thalimpu in the kadai and keep it in the Mw in grill mode?
    found ur tips very useful.

8. krishnaamma

Hi Vidhya,

Welcome to IL. Happy to note that you pur. a MW . good. Generally I will use MW for reheating many things and use it as third stove. Like cooking veg, to make oil less pappad, or to make crispy chappati. like that. I will make oats, coffee or tea in that.

I have not tried rice in that. But my friend tried and in India and she did it well. and also we tried Idly in her house it came out well. And we tried 'parappu usali' in that. It also came well.
    But no idea about keeping non stick kadai in MW.:confused: but you can make potato curry in that, but use the given cook ware. Let us wait for others reply.

Thanks for stepping in this thread. Please browse all my threads and my sub forum also. be happy while browsing in IL.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krishnamma,

Waited till you replied. I don't use the microwave for heating after coming to chennai. what with FIL staying no patthu/pasai...one way it has become better, that i don't cook in excess.

Dear vidhya,

I have cooked rice in a microwavable container. I have a convection mode oven which has menus. if you have the rice menu use that and after half time, the menu will prompt you to stir the rice, if you stir and continue. the rice will be cooked. and you can leave it standing (standing means you leave the container inside the mw even after the cooking time is over...)

regarding frying aloos, the demo person is right about using a non-stick, but that should not have a plastic handle. the handle will melt during grilling or baking due to heat.

Do roast potatoes, i use the menu i have a roasting menu. i think it should be there. or for others veggies like brinjals, i use a ceramic tray and will first mw the whole sabji, for few minutes, then just sprinkle little oil and grill it/bake it according to the requirement.

hope it helps.

P.S. each oven has different settings/temperature and times. I use a SHARP jet convection with double grill....please read your instruction manual.

1 person likes this.
  10. krishnaamma