1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Microwave Sabudana Khichadi

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shivachoubey, May 17, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Before you guys pounce on me let me tell you this is not a diet food but it is a smart turn around food where in you reduce the amount of calories..

Sabudana khichadi has been my all time favorite. My sister makes amazing sabudana khichadi. She would cook everything in lots of ghee, fry the potatoes in ghee and then the sabudana.

When I was 74 kgs I would say no to this delicious dish. I told my sis 'once I touch 69 kgs I will surely have it'. Finally, I had this stuff when I touched 68 kgs. Awesome.

My husband observes full 9 day of fast during Navratri. Though he does try to go on only fruits but we all know how he is (don't we). So, in an attempt to get down the calorie content of this dish I tried the microwave version and it came out to be pretty good. This is how we eat sabudana khichadi now.

Ingredients

1. 1 cup sago seeds - Wash them with water and then drain. Just leave very little water. Leave overnight or 6-7 hours.

2. 1 large potato.

3. 1 green chilli.

4. handfull roasted crushed peanuts.

5. 1 tsp oil.

6. 1 tsp ghee.

7. 1 tsp cumin seeds.

8. 1/2 tsp sugar.

9. Salt to taste.

View attachment 130058

Procedure

1. In a microwavable bowl, put oil and cumin seeds and microwave for 30 seconds. Don't forget to cover the bowl.

2. Add the chopped potatoes and chillies, mix this stuff well with a spoon so that the oil is spread evenly. Cover the lid of the bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Take out and mix well with spoon. Microwave for another 2 minutes.

View attachment 130059

3. Now do the fun part. Add the sago seeds, peanuts, sugar, salt. Mix well with spoon. Put the lid on the microwavable bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.

View attachment 130060

4. Squeeze lemon and garnish with coriander.

5. Don't forget to enjoy.

View attachment 130061

2. aditim

aditim Senior IL'ite

Hmm... Looks tempting. :) Me and my hubby love Sabudhana Khichdi. This MW recipe looks easy and tasty!!!

I had gone off track for a few days as I was eating yummy food outside but exercised on week days.

Happened to visit ur blog and looks like I need to just control my portions and exercise.

Your blogs keep me going. :)

3. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva,

I love your recipes. I will try this out. Your tomato soup and Pumpkin in super duper hit with my MIL

4. shivachoubey

I am glad you liked the recipe. No worries on getting off track. Make yum food with less oil and you will be back on weight loss.

All the best for your weight loss.

Have a great great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

5. shivachoubey

Thank you for your appreciation. I sincerely hope that you like this too.

PS: Say my Hi to MIL.

Have a great great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

6. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    Thank you so much for sharing your low cal. recipes with us.Cannot wait to try it. I will remember you while eating them and will give you my blessings. Not only are your m/wave dishes easy but less khitpit and tastes awesome.

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Shiva,

Sabudana kichdi is my all time favourite- as a treat, as vrat ahaar, as comfort food. Years ago, I started Shankashti Vrat, just because the only permitted food is sabudana kichdi.I have a mami who makes it like a dream. Sadly, inspite of her teaching me repeatedly, I still cannot make the ultimate sabudana kichdi. Let me try your recipe and get back.

PS: One good tip from my mami. When crushing peanuts, use the longer variety since they are drier. The plump, small ones are oily and affect the taste.

8. shivachoubey

I am glad you liked the recipe and I hope you like the taste as well. Yeh do bless me to loose more weight.

Have a great day ahead.

Lots of love to you dear libra.

regards

Shiva

9. shivachoubey

I am sure this won't come out to be like a dream but I guess would be eatable. Thanks for sharing the peanut tip, I will also keep it in mind. Infact it will be good to have little less oily peanuts.

Let me know how this version came out.

PS : Sabudana Khichadi is my favorite too.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

SHiva

10. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Hi Shiva
    I love the recipes you post.Will be trying this Khichadi today.I followed your advice about reducing rice intake and eating more vegetables ,raita etc and have reduced 19 pounds till date.The thing is...I had stopped 'conciously' dieting more than a month ago and have still been successfully able to maintain my weight.:)
    But apart from just feeling good about myself,I got the best reward yesterday...we (my husband,son and me)had gone shopping yesterday and i saw a jean that I fell in love with.I was a size 6(but even those clothes were a bit too tight) .But to my dismay there was only a size 4 and no size 6 in that shop.But they said the size 4 could maybe accomodate a size 5 .So just for the heck of it I tried it on ...and lo and behold...it fit me!
    i am so thrilled by this that it wants me to keep going...
    So to cut this 'oh so long story' short....just wanted to say...Thank You.:)