Metformin Blues........

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by ferujoy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ferujoy

ferujoy Silver IL'ite

Hi,:wave friends....

Iam Diagnosed with PCOS, Doc recommends me to continue Taking Metformin 500 Mg tablets thrice daily..

Its 3 Months now since im using Metformin.. the one that iam using is Bigomet-SR (Slow Release)

I had symptoms like Nausea, and Frequent Urination every now and then...

Just Yesterday, After Lunch, I had usually taken the Met tablet, my stomach was upset and by evening I vomited , What i observed this time is the Metformin Tablet being Un-Dissolved even hours (6 hours) after Consuming it and came along with the Vomit..

The consumed tablet had not dissolved but remained as white Jelly bean.., :shock:

So test my Conscience I just put another met Tablet in a Glass of water, to test whether it gets Dissolved, the Next morning to my surprise the tablet has not Dissolved instead remained a White Jelly Bean...:bonk

I would like to know ,, is there a problem with the Brand of Metformin, that iam using that is Bigomet SR (quality) OR the Metformin itself....:rant

Will Slow Release SR tablets will not dissolve even after 12 Hours....?:confused2:

Iam Confused.... Getting too worried taking Metformin......:drowning.Witsend

Anybody going thru such experience ... please post...

2. nidhijoshi

nidhijoshi Silver IL'ite

My MIL is a diabteic she was also told to take Metformin. she was also taking the same Bigomet-SR 500 tablet and had similar experience.She was then moved to Bigonil by the doctor.....consult your doctor.

3. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Most of the people have nausea while consuming metformin ( irrespective of the brand) and Sustained Release (SR) tablets do not dissolve for people who dont have suffcient water in the stomach ( This was what my doc said when i was using SR kind of metformin tablet). I used to get stomach upset and the tablet comes out during excretion. So dont worry its common in SR tablets ..

So its better if you could check with your doctor and get alternate brand of metformin be prescribed.

Cheers,
    Sweetlife

4. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

I feel ur dose of metfomin is very high ...i am having high sugar and still my doctor advised me to take metphomin 250 mg twice before lunch and dinner ...so please check again for dose u needed? did u test ur sugar levels using GTT or OGCT?

5. Shirinsitara

Shirinsitara Senior IL'ite

I'm taking Glucophage (that's the brand name of metformin i'm taking) - 500 mg. I had acidity for a week, doc advised to take anti-acid for 1 week then it was fine. I din't face the other side effects you had mentioned.
    I'll try dissolving my tablet in a glass of water and will inform you if it dissolved.

6. Riya2012

Riya2012 Bronze IL'ite

Hello there,

I am diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries and on 500 Mg Metformin 3 times a day.

The first time experiences with metformin are nausea and upset stomatch. But I feel, you should speak to your doctor about the issues you are facing.

For me I started gradually with one tablet a day and then increased it to 2 another week and then to 3 after a month's time. It helped to fade the side effects except for few times in a month. Taking metformin on a full stomatch should be the norm to reduce its affects.

I found out by experience that eating protien rich diet(I am vegetarian),less carb,less sugar and high water intake keeps everything more in place.

Hope that helps.

7. ferujoy

ferujoy Silver IL'ite

thank u nidhijoshi for the reply....

thank u for the reply...yes i will consult the doc...thanks for your advice...
    :)

:) ya sure.....

and thanks for the reply....

thank u for the reply

8. ferujoy

ferujoy Silver IL'ite

hi...swatir23

NO i did not test GTT and OGCT ..My doc tested only insulin ...can u please tell me the information about this tests GTT and OGCT...

thank u.........

9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I think the medicine will go away and leave empty jelly bean.

The important thing to notice while taking this meidicne,don't eat high carbs that will make you bloat.

Eat more veggies,fruits,protein.And that will help in lot of aways.Don't just eat two cups of Rice.That will make situation bad.

10. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

hi
    i am also having PCOS. Now i am conceived. While identifying PCOS i am having thyroid also. I have taken 4 months treatement for thyroid once its came to control started to have metformin. This tablet will induce the sugar level my doctor told. My metformin company name is GLYCOMET. I did not feel any vomit and nausea. Morning after breakfast and night after dinner i am taking. Now the cyst size is got reduced much.