1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Message of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by manjukps, Dec 23, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Manju
    Very nice analogy in comparing drawing of kolams to life.
    I love kolams and always thought it benefitted us in more ways than just being a welcome sign or a pretty art adorning our entrances.
    The physical fitness, the mathematical logic and problems solving skills, and the altruism in providing meals for ants were all that I had known.
    Yours is a different point of view, nevertheless a very good comparison too.
    Good one Manju! Keep writing more.

2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your compliments Kamala. Sure it motivates me to write more when I get feedbacks from more senior ILs like you.

Regards
    Manjukps

3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thank you IL-Admin and Venkatakila for liking my post

Regards
    Manjukps

4. shambavi2000

shambavi2000 Silver IL'ite

hi

oh my my! Who would have imagined a simple kolam to spawn such philosophical musings! I must say you've captured so much profound truths of life in a simple kolam and presented it with such lucidity! I suppose it's the magic of margazhi!

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

nicely written with nice parallels drawn! Thank you for sharing them here with us! You speak of apartments, imagine us here - but the stubborn person that I am, I still do rangoli/koalm infront of teh house duringa ll festivals! Now the neighbors co me over just to see that - yes drawing a rangoli is a very favorite act of mine and I still do it on paper often - infact I had taught my DS angles and shapes using kolams and he still remembers them shhh..... don't tell anyone! Thank you for reminding of me the beauty of this wonderful art!

6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thank you shambavi. I am now happy that I did mistakes while even putting the dots for kolam and it gave such truth of life. It was really magical moment.

Regards
    Manjukps

7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Srama. When we enjoy doing, nothing is a constraint. Only our interest matters.

Regards
    Manjukps

8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILs,

Following is another feed back I got in my face book account in which I shared the link. Posting my reply too as I agree to different perspectives. The prayer she shared is really beautiful.

Your snippet reminded me of the prayer that I love and like to share. "God, grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    and wisdom to know the difference."

Only comment I would like to share, hope you take it in the right spirit. You had written "Life too takes twists and turns like curved lines but one step in wrong direction, needs number of valuable years to undo and start all over again. One opportunity we miss like I missed one dot, getting it again is a laborious task. Correcting it becomes cumbersome. Sometimes we will be able identify where we went wrong, sometimes not. Better to choose a right path in the beginning itself."

We cant always take the right path because when we begin we don't know if we are taking the right path or the wrong one. Once we realize we are in the wrong path we should take efforts to correct them. If we know the right path(not for the obvious ones) in the beginning itself I don't think anyone would want to take a wrong route knowingly. I also believe that making mistakes is not a terrible thing, it provides an opportunity to learn from your mistake. I know this opens a floodgate for everyone's opinion and I am just sharing mine. Reading your snippet it provided me an opportunity to think in a different angle and I hope I took the right path to comment on it.

My reply was

yes J, what you are telling is correct. Nobody can lead life without doing mistakes and that teaches us lessons and make us better person. Nobody, as you say do blunders knowingly. What I meant to say is before taking decision think to take right path, if it's wrong, nothing bad about that only it takes some time to rectify. It was only flow of my thought when I was drawing the kolam on that day morning and I did some mistakes which seemed to be simple in the beginning, but it took long time to somehow finish it. So I connected that mistake to be a blunder in life which even after correction leaves scar of that.

Of course, with same set of dots each person can draw many different designs of kolam as each person can interpret in their own perspective.

Like our Cheeniya sir's revealed in his snippet, how an Emperor, Hitler and our men in blue take their victories and defeat
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/cheeniyas-senile-ramblings/11559-emperor-asoka-and-team-india.html

Regards
    Manjukps

9. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Manju,

Happy New Year 2012. Life is always it's own hairpi bends, curves, sharp ends, straight and long curve
    We have to adjust and setright everything in a wiseful way. If we do it we are the winner of the LIFE
    Life has got filed old, new, present files where we have to go through to define meaning for our life.
    Nice article my dear friend. Tks for sharing

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Manju
    When I first laid my eyes on this thread, I thought it was all about drawing kolams which might be beyond the scope of an elderly man like me. So I skipped it but came back to read it after you mentioned about it in an FB of yours. I should thank you for it. I would have otherwise missed this gem of a post.

Kolams are geometrical patterns which trained hands such as you are can draw without using any geometrical instruments. But a novice like me would require them even to draw a simple straight line or a curve. The whole Universe may look disjointed to untrained eyes like ours but it is all set to a precise geometrical pattern. A Kolam is a small reminder of how God has set up the Universe.

Even the geometrical instruments teach us great values of life. A compass, for example, teaches us to keep ourselves in due bound with all mankind. With one arm rooted to a fixed point, the compass can draw a circle of any size but all those circles will have their reference to that single point. Call that point as our abiding faith in God and as long as we keep ourselves rooted to that point, we’ll be well within the accepted norms of human behavior. It is a point from which we can never err. When you say that ‘we should know our limits’, I can only think of this.

A square is another instrument that tells us how our conduct should be. A fair minded person will never deviate from square conduct. A well laid geometrical pattern will be able to satisfy all the norms. So should our lives be in order that in the evening of our existence after a regular and well spent life, we’ll also be able fit into the design that God made for us.
    Sri

1 person likes this.