1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Menstrual bleeding not stopping(URGENT)

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by yogmaya, Oct 19, 2007.

1. yogmaya

yogmaya New IL'ite

Hello friends;

I would like to know if any of you had this problem or heard about this...

My younger sister has a 5 month old baby and after delivery she had bleeding for 3 month continuous and when the bleeding stopped, next month she had her regular periods.

This time her period started on 28th of September and still going on which is scarring me a lot. She contacted her doctor (gynecologist) and believe it or not he said increase the dose of your birth control pill from one a day to two a day. I have never heard about taking two birth control pills a day and I don't know how correct the Dr. is? I asked my sister to not take 2 pills a day until some more research...

Can any of you suggest something on this matter...

Thanks a lot in advance.

Y.

Admin Note: Here are few links related to excessive menstrual bleeding that you may wish to read

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gynaecology/131765-exercise-cause-bleeding-after-delivery.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/f...4529-article-heavy-bleeding-during-early.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gynaecology/170435-prolonged-bleeding-problem.html
    Uterine Fibroids
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gynaecology/122878-severe-menstrual-pains-excessive-bleeding.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gynaecology/201613-how-much-do-you-know.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013

2. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Hello Yogmaya,

I had almost the same problem as your sister! My baby is now 7 months old and after delivery I had bleeding for almost 12 weeks also, then it stopped and I had my regular period. The next month I started my period again but had bleeding for 15 days. Every time I picked something heavy I would bleed. My gynec told me that it is Ok to have bleeding this much, but she advised me to take lots of rest, and not lift anything heavy. I have a few questions for you
    1.Did you sister have a c-section, because i did and that was one of the reasons I bled so much?
    2. My bleeding was not heavy all the time, it was more like spotting, is her's heavy?
    3.if her bleeding is heavy tell her to go see her gynec immediately...

hope this helps, and I cannot advise you on taking 2 BCP's for I have never heard of that.....

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I havent undergone this problem.But i would suggest u to consult with some other gynac.Is u r sister in US?if possible ask any indian gynac and send medicines thru courier.

4. yogmaya

yogmaya New IL'ite

Yes desiprincess; my sister had c-section and her bleeding is not too heavy but not spotting either...it's more like on our 3rd, 4th day of period.

SupriyaDinesh; yes my sister is in US (California).

Thanks you both for your reply, I will talk to my sister and ask her to check with some other Dr. and hope everything will be ok.

Thanks again.
    Y.

5. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

hi have gone through the same thing. was bleeding for 6 months after delivery, with just breaks of a day or two in between. My gynae in dubai suggested me to have a hormone tablet,she said it was due to hormone imbalance. after childbirth ones hormone levels take a while to settle down. That was my case. am fine now with regular 28 day period cycle. But this was diagnoised after a ultrasound of the uterus which showed no problem. each ones case and reason could be different. Dont panic.after 1 cycle of the hormone tablet the bleeding did not stop, so even i was sugggested a pill, which i refused as it reduces the flow of milk. I opted for the second cycleof the hormone tablet.

6. yogmaya

yogmaya New IL'ite

Thanks priyauc;

I am bit relieved to know that this problem is not that uncommon; I will tell my sister about hormone pill.

Y.

7. LakshmiAnand

LakshmiAnand Senior IL'ite

Hari om yogmaya
    i also share the problem. but my experience suggests that it would slowly reduce. yes.. my mil suggested the use of vazhaipu (flower of the banana plant) sabji /juice etc. this will help recoup.
    this also helped.
    take care.

8. yogmaya

yogmaya New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the replies. My sister's son is now a year old and my sister is doing well now. Her doctor gave her birth-control-pills and after taking them for a couple of months, her periods became normal.

I never heard of herbal pads, it must be interesting to try one.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
    Yogmaya