1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mensa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by nayidulhan, Dec 17, 2018.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

I had heard about MENSA and their tests for IQ. Does anyone know more about this? Who can answer, how to prepare, when to answer, how to enroll, etc. Has anyone here or anyone you know cleared MENSA? please share your experiences.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If you are in US , Cogat scores are considered for membership. My niece is a member of MENSA and she got it on basis of COGAT score I think in second grade ...

Check the website

nayidulhan likes this.
  3. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply, armummy. :)
    We are based in India. Any idea how to go about MENSA in India?

4. lakssubbu

lakssubbu Senior IL'ite

im based in UK as of now. Mensa members are considered as top 3% intelligent. Would be really eager to know any resources for its preparation.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Check for rules or any contact numbers in the Mensa page. You may need to get evaluation in India.

I am aware of US as I was one who informed my relatives to get niece enrolled after reading the rules and she got in.

nayidulhan likes this.
  6. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Wow armummy! Your niece is lucky to have you for the aunt! So nice of you to encourage her to take this up! She will be thankful to you for this meaningful gesture all through her life! God bless you! :)

Do you mind if I ask you to share all the details you know? e.g. these questions:-
    1) Is there a minimum age to answer the test?
    2) Is there a restriction on the number of times the test can be taken?
    3) Most importantly what things are tested and how does one prepare for it?
    4) Besides having the honor of being in the top 2 percent intellectuals of the world, where else can one use this achievement?
    Please tell me everything you know, armummy. You are the only person I have come across who knows anything at all about MENSA.

Thanks in anticipation! :)

7. lakssubbu

lakssubbu Senior IL'ite

1) Is there a minimum age to answer the test?
    There are no on-line tests that can be used for admission to Mensa. Feel free to contact Mensa for specific details about eligibility. Mensa has no other eligibility requirements other than IQ testing. However, many tests are not valid for people under the age of 16.
    2) Is there a restriction on the number of times the test can be taken?
    Not sure
    3) Most importantly what things are tested and how does one prepare for it? it is iq based. in UK it generally has verbal, non verbal and logical reasoning
    4) Besides having the honor of being in the top 2 percent intellectuals of the world, where else can one use this achievement?
    Most of the reputed institutions recognize Mensa score.

You can get more information in About Mensa International | Mensa International

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi again , my knowledge is limited to US as it accepts Cogat scores administered by US schools and you need a very high score to get into Mensa. My niece got in at 2nd grade.

There is no specific advantage but it is a tag of very high IQ person and very few are part of this ORG , it is a confidence booster for kid and definitely creates a good impact wherever it is mentioned and assuming it may help in college and job applications .

I don’t think there is any age restriction or no of attempts. I don’t think you can train for it as it is IQ test and I am not aware of any material.

In India you have to contact Mensa and find out the testing agencies and then get your kid evaluated and submit scores.

I think above poster provided good information and link to Mensa

9. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks lakssubbu and armummy. :)

Just a quick question for both of you... any idea if these tests are age related/ age appropriate or something? I mean will the questions that a second grader (approx 7-8 year old) answer be same/ similar to the questions that an 18+ individual will answer? Does MENSA take the age of the test taker into consideration or something?

10. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

lakssubbu, may I ask for whom are you considering this? yourself or someone you know? and any idea about brushing up skills/ aptitude? I mean what I knew in middle school is much less compared to what I knew in college. So I think preparation does play a role in this. what do you think?