1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memorable Meeting

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I was 21 years old (43 years back) when my cousin who was about to get married made that request to my older cousin that he needs his older brother’s help in inviting this celebrity to his wedding. None of us wanted our uncle (father of my cousins) to know that this celebrity would be invited for the wedding as he would have immediately killed the idea. But would be bridegroom was firm in his wish and his older brother told him to stay quiet for a while until an opportune time.

The celebrity was unconquered king in the Tamil film industry besides being an upcoming political leader aspiring to become the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. My cousin being a big fan, always considered him as one of the finest human being and never failed to see all his movies, if possible, on the first day of the release of his movies. Even though I wasn’t a big fan, I used to accompany my cousin and I was slowly lured to like him so much because of his high energy and fast-moving Tamil movies, his habit of having a set of popular heroines to pair with him and stunning duet songs. I made a casual request to my new bridegroom cousin that if he were to go to visit his Matinee Idol, I would like to accompany him. He promised me to do so if I can wake up early on a specific day.

Finally, the marriage invitations were printed and my older cousin who is a lawyer and a very close friend of this celebrity decided to invite the celebrity in person. This celebrity’s residence was 15-20 kms away from my uncle’s residence in Adyar. We realized that it would be difficult to get a cab to go so early in the morning. My oldest cousin decided to drive my uncle’s vehicle parked in front of our house on that day without his knowledge.

On that eventful day, we all woke up very early in the morning and left our uncle’s residence at 5:45 a.m. in the morning. Luckily, my uncle didn’t wake up to the sound of the car ignition. We reached the celebrity’s residence at around 6:10 a.m. We found two wonderful Italian dogs in front of the house with security guard opening the gate for us. The PRO asked us to be seated. Having found out the dogs as unusual breed, I asked gentle questions to the caretaker of the dogs. He said the dogs were very well trained and could in a heartbeat capture any intruder to the residence. He also added that they just sit quiet unless instructions were given by him. Seeing the size of the dogs, I stayed as far away as possible from the dogs. Eventually, we were given steaming hot Idlis and filter coffee while we stayed in a very-well decorated hall. While looking around, I noticed that the entire wall had so many glass-covered cupboards filled with so many mementos of his 100th day celebrations of many movies. I had also noticed the photograph of many national political personalities with this celebrity.

The time was flying and the wait became restless particularly for me with a lot of anxiety about how to greet such a personality having never met one before. At around 7:45 a.m., he opened the door behind my Sofa and entered the hall. He was wearing a milk-white dhoti and a nice-looking white shirt covering his entire arms and his stunning fur cap. In his inimitable style, he put his hands together and said “Vanakkam” (Salutation) in his typical style. When I rushed to get up, he gently came close to me and asked, “Brother, did you eat anything?” Already being so nervous about meeting him, when he asked this question directly at me, I fumbled and nodded my head in affirmation as words didn’t come out of my mouth. He gently asked me to sit down and started a conversation with my older cousin and shook hands with the bridegroom. He opened the invitation handed over to him and said, “I will definitely attend”. The meeting finished in 5 minutes and I dragged myself reluctantly towards the car knowing the much- anticipated show was over.

When we returned home, my oldest brother parked the car and ran out quickly telling us, “You are on your own to address father/uncle”. My uncle was very angry about misusing his vehicle without his knowledge and for making the wedding reception into a complicated event. The bridegroom and I took most of the brunt, but we were still dreaming about our meeting with the celebrity and everything my uncle said went through one ear and came through the other. Finally, we waited for the reception day and as promised the celebrity showed up with a brief case like varnished-wooden box which had six sliver tumblers in it. We all took photographs to our heart’s content before he left from the wedding reception.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Even with my limited knowledge of Tamil cinema I managed to narrow down, with confirmation from Google, who said celebrity could have been. How exciting! Looks like the meeting made a strong impression on you considering how vividly you recollect the finer details. Enjoyed the minute by minute build up to the rendezvous. I can't remember too many moments that left me star struck, but the one that stands out in memory was meeting APJ after he had become President Kalam. I met him at a reception at Rashtrapati Bhavan where my father was receiving a service award. After the ceremony we were ushered into a long hall with full sized portraits of past presidents adorning the walls. The president was to make a quick walk through and shake hands with the attendees. Though strict decorum was expected I managed to sneak in a request for an autograph and he graciously asked me my name and purpose in life, and scribbled a couple of words for me. I was over the moon. I have it safe in a copy of one his books. Some years later I attended a second such reception for my dad and this time Pratibha Patil was President. I didn't ask for her autograph. ; )

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shri Viswa,
    Quite adventurous.
    If my guess is correct he was MGR. Yes watching the cinema idol in person itself is a momentous moment. In your case, it was meeting him in person. Must have been very interesting.
    Reminds me of a Raju Srivastava, stand up comedian, joke. He was performing on the stage and Amitabh Bacchan was sitting in the front seats. And he said I have seen you alive first time.
    Another friend of mine would not wash his hands after he shook hands with Raj kapoor. For me I had a chance meeting with Jhonny Walker at a airport and he readily agreed to shake hands. I did watch many movie stars at Prithvi Theater in Mumbai but never felt like shaking hands or taking autographs.

sindmani, Viswamitra and poovai like this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I like to meet the next 'aspiring' TN CM... Mr. Vijay! :lol:

Lol. Nice that you didn't break the 'celebrity who' news till the end. Guessable, still enjoyed the suspense throughout. Any story about him gives me goosebumps!

Sweet experience, thank you for sharing. :beer-toast1:

Viswamitra and Cheeniya like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes meeting/seeing our favourite/liked celebrity is like a magic. It could be awe, admiration or it is simple overwhelming affection.

When I saw Hrithik Roshan at the airport a couple of decades ago, I was zapped by his stunning looks and couldn't resist my urge to speak to him. He was very respectful and courteous. Again a few years later, when I saw Sonu Nigam, I was strangely very emotional.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Viswamitra and sindmani like this.
  6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Thats such a beautiful write up.... I always wanted to Mrs Sudha Murthy, but have never got an opportunity till day, one of my relative met her in the airport, clicked a pic with her and sent it to my husband, i was ovwrwhelmed to see that pic....
    I felt extremely happy, as if i had my favourite celebrity....

Viswamitra and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Nandu,
    She is on my wish list too.:) I consider her as a complete woman and admire her.

nandinimithun and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You must be 64 now my dear Viswa. Ain't I a mathematics genius?
    Once I was coming by train from Madurai and T.M.Soundararajan (TMS) was my fellow traveler. He was a fine person with no airs about his popularity. When we were discussing about his movie songs, he told me that it was enough to sing from the throat for the Chief Minister to be but for the other legend, he had to sing from his stomach (naabi). I liked the way he differentiated the two.
    When your hero soared to become the CM of the state, my brother was posted as his Home Secretary in which position, he continued for 8 years. My brother was a regular visitor to his house and he was never allowed to return without having breakfast or lunch with him depending on the time of his visit. He has narrated several anecdotes about his boss. He was a non smoker, non drinker and he was very particular about his public image. When my brother fell ill with a mild stroke, he had him sent to Dr. Kanu in Japan for treatment.
    It was amazing how he won the election lying in his death bed.

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03,

Thank you for your first response. I am so happy to hear that you were able to guess it with the help of Google. I gave clues in an orderly fashion with the final clue of fur cap. That would have nailed it for many as he was the only one who used to make public appearances with the fur cap.

It is true I remember every minuscule detail from the time we started till we reached home. Ramavaram Garden, his residence, has now become a school for deaf and dumb children. I was very impressed with his golden heart. I had a second encounter with him when he was shooting a movie in Sathya Studios, Adyar. At that time, I visited Sathya Studios for reviewing their financial results and torrential shower started flooding the entire city. We were kind of struck in the studio. He was finishing up his indoor shooting and getting ready to leave. He came into the office we were all seated and asked a staff, "Did these brothers eat anything?" and when the staff answered negatively he said, "please send a vehicle to Buhari (a very famous restaurant in Mount Road) and get something for them to eat some hot delicious food and then arrange to drop them at their residences".

Thank you for sharing your encounter with APJ thanks to your father's service award. He is another big celebrity hero for me. I read all of his book and I have been a big fan of him since he started working in DRDO on Missile programs. One of his colleagues who worked for him in DRDO became a Director in C-DAC when I worked there. I have heard the story of him moving into the Rashtrapathi Bhavan. He came in an ordinary Ambassador car with two suitcases and when the staff asked him when his truck was coming, he said politely, "these two suitcases are my possession. There are no more trucks". I always wanted to meet him and my dream came true when he visited Tampa a few years back for a meeting. First he visited the Hindu Temple nearby before he came to the meeting. As an invitee, I had a chance to shake his hands. His tragic death while talking in a meeting made me feel really sad.

Viswa

sindmani and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I am just reminded of travelling with a celebrity by train to Tiruchirapalli in the same second class compartment.
    After 15 minutes an old man in panchakacham with vibhuthi and another lady entered the compartment. She was wearing a black pattu saree with self zari border.Her dazzling diamond nose studs,the style of wearing saree covering her shoulders with palloo revealed her identity. Yes, she was Smt. M. S. Subbalakshmi.If I had a camera I would have taken a snap. We were talking for some time.She was very particular not to talk about music or kacheris.Mama also was there.She never looked like a celebrity figure and she was very casual.After a few minutes she started sleeping. In the early morning we got down and took leave.
    It was a pleasant surprise when I again met her in the wedding hall.She had been invited by the bridegroom's party.While during oonjal(Swing ceremony)it was MS who sang 'Sita kalyana Vaibogame. laali and oonjal songs and she also recognized me as having seen in the train.Our joy and pride knew no bounds.
    Next instance was meeting Rajaji in his house in Chennai when he was in eighties.
    Casually on a Saturday afternoon myself and my friend wanted to meet Rajaji.My friend was an Iyengar girl. When we rang up, a lady took up the phone and my friend talked in Iyengar slang( Vaishnava paribhashai) to cover her up. " Appa, yaaro irandu ponnugal ungalaip paarkkanumaam.vara sollattumaa?( Dad,two ladies want to come and meet you, just informal.Shall I ask them to come ?")Pat came the reply"vara sollu"( ask them to come)
    We jumped with joy. We got a bunch of bananas in a bag ,went by bus to reach his residence. Some watchman was found in half sleep. He didn't notice us at all. We hesitated for a while ,then pressed the calling bell. A mami, wearing vaishnava style saree opened the door.We were sitting in the hall for a while.
    She took her inside the room where Rajaji was sitting on an easy chair.What a great opportunity!
    He asked us to sit on a bench and enquired about the purpose of our visit.We told him that there was no specific purpose and we just wanted to have his blessings.
    He asked me what I was doing.I replied that I was working for a bank.Immediately he asked me whether I was not taught by my parents how to run the family within husband's income?( aaththukkaarar sampadyaththile eppadi kudiththanam panrathunnu unakku appa amma kaththuk kudukkalaiyaa?)Then she spoke for five minutes about the hastles of women working and the sufferings of their children who are deprived of childhood happiness )After 10 mts we prostrated before him as per customs and he blessed me and my friend.He asked his daughter ( I think)to give us mor theertham ( diluted garnished butter milk).The lady at home ,his daughter bade us farewell by giving manjal, kunkumam.
    Unforgettable meeting with the greatest leader of our times.Those 10 mts are precious to me.
    jayasala 42

kaniths, vaidehi71, Mistt and 2 others like this.