1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Meditative Art In Oil Pastels

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by ChennaiExpress, May 9, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

3. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

4. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Silver IL'ite

Hi @ChennaiExpress ur art looks very colourful.. since u have mentioned about pastel I thought I can interrupt u to ask my silly doubt-
    what paper can I use to paint with soft pastel. I tried it once with canvas paper but it doesn't stick to it. It remains like patches and the powder just falls off. I read that pastel paper works. I found it in Amazon but not very sure if that it is.
    Any idea please?

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much dear :)

Soft pastels will not stick to most paper. You need pastel paper with certain amount of "tooth".

I haven't used soft pastel but I am told that Canson and Strathmore are good brands. And after you use soft pastel you must spray a fixative else the pastels fall off after several years.

And use soft pastels outdoors or in a room with good ventilation (you don't want to inhale that stuff)

Jerrysartsarama, Art Supplies and Materials - Jerry's Artarama sells high quality and inexpensive art supplies. Usually if I want to order something from Jerry's I check if Amazon has it cheaper (and with free shipping).

I've heard Dicks Blicks, Art Supplies from Blick Art Materials - Art Supply Store has wonderful art supplies as well.

This is all I know about soft pastels. They have most color because less binder material is holding it together, but you certainly need a fixative.

If you wish to know more in depth register for wetcanvas.com. They have forums on all mediums of art. The members are professional artists and very friendly and helpful.

Plz share your artwork if possible :)

wish4miracle likes this.
  6. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much dear @ChennaiExpress i will try to get those brands in amazon as i live in india.

i am novice in painting and doing it as my hobby. right now trying in acrylics over canvas sheets. i have never tried anything with pastel. will try my best and let u see the outcome:rolleyes:

ChennaiExpress likes this.