1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meandering Thoughts And Drifting Clouds

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I watch the dragon flies. I actually usually make time to sit and watch them. Fascinating little things they are, with their tapering bodies and spectacular wings and the myriad of colors that can be seen! I think of my mom who always told us as children that when one spots a dragon fly, rain is not far away! It is raining, nonstop for the past two days. I stand by the patio door to the back yard only to hear the gentle water of the pond flowing making the ever-present flowing water sound. As I sip my coffee, I notice that the grass looks overgrown and wet. Toby who is now standing by me refuses to step out and I see the worried expression on his face, and he looks at me with those puppy eyes. Birds are chirping. I even spot a robin walk away rapidly with an earthworm in its mouth. The fog is everywhere – the rising temperatures and the rain you see. It all looks serene and beautiful and I almost feel I am at some hill station in the middle of nowhere.

Recently a cousin of mine who visited me from India said that the surroundings of our house reminds her of her village in India. I was kind of pleased for despite the lovely surroundings, I bask in the knowledge that the road leading to the highway is like 2 seconds away. My DH has always called me such a ‘city gal’ and I agree with him. Oh, the number of times, I have been happy to leave the country roads to get onto highways! I love people and civilization yet; I love the oasis of nature around the houses. This feeling is kind of strange. You know kind of roots to grow and wings to fly! I think of that phrase often these days and I tell my kids about it often too! As I think about it, I decide to google and came across this (version) poem that I liked

ROOTS AND WINGS
    If I could give you many things,
    I’d give you gold and silver rings
    Of knowledge that I’ve gained with years
    The gift of smiling through the tears
    Confidence, courage, determination,
    Laughter and spirit and love of creation,
    Wrapped up in a box with a bow, I’d give
    To you these gifts to keep for as long as you live.

“If I could give you just two things,
    One would be Roots, the other, Wings.”
    Roots, not to tie you to the ground,
    But to guide you to where your fulfillment is found
    The nourishing start, the firm foundation,
    The source of your inner determination.
    Wings to soar over obstacles, wings to fly free,
    Wings to glide to the heights of the best you can be.

And when obstacles loom, from your Roots grows a hand
    Providing a strong, sturdy, safe place to land.
    I’d choose these two things for the gifts that are best,
    For with Roots and with Wings, you’ll find all the rest!

And here’s another thing; every single time I think of roots and wings, I visualize Waheeda Rehman in her light blue saree going “Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai. Aaj phir marne ka irada hai!” That feeling I tell you; I wish I had words to explain!

So anyways, coming back to the weather outside there is something to be said about the wetness of spring. I do wonder about whatever happened to April showers bring May flowers for now the showers seem to have decided, June it is - when they want to show up!

IMG_20190618_081320.jpg

Even as I take a picture, I think of my teacher – he has suffered a stroke and I was happy to hear his voice and was even more delighted that he remembered me. I can’t wait to meet him. Coming back again to the weather, yes, it still feels like spring! Summer is not far away. I can tell, no not because of the summer solstice that’s coming up soon but because of the fireflies! Yes, we have begun to spot them already!

I look at my plants enjoying the light drizzle, many of them still waiting to be planted to the ground from their confining pots. I can see their struggle. I promise them “Soon! As soon as the rain stops”. I look at the new jasmine plant I caved in and bought. That will be my third jasmine plant in the house. I look at my other potted plants and their resilience. This year, with the unpredictable weather I wasn’t sure if any of them would survive. But with the rain and the sun, I see that they are coming back, and I have already begun to count the pots that need to move indoors, trying to also think about how to make room in the house.

Talking of sun and rain, recently I was in a class and a picture of sunflower and smiling people were shown next to one another and we were asked to come up with some explanation on similarities that we see between them. There were many answers and one even saw Fibonacci sequence – I could see how she saw that in the sunflower, but I still wonder about people; rabbits I understand. Now, I wish I had asked her to elaborate! As the rain continues to come down, making the greenery seem only more expansive, I think of that Sun and wonder when he will decide to peep in. Of course, the clouds must clear out I realize. Even as I think about all this, I hear a plane in the sky. That always delights me and then, mind continues to drift…….all the while enjoying the sounds of nature around me while I hope that the meandering thoughts are only that, like those drifting clouds that will eventually show me the ever present sky and sunshine!

I am not at all surprised when later during the day I come across two articles, one that says that dogs have developed a special muscle that allows them to actually make that puppy face and the other explaining that 120 mins/week of time spent any which way one wants to in nature rejuvenates the being. I can only nod in agreement because the puppy eyes worked and I took Toby for a walk on the concrete holding an umbrella and two just looking at nature has calmed me beyond words, bringing that drifting mind to stillness. Talking of holding an umbrella in the rain, just yesterday, I saw a sculpture of a man with an umbrella with water dripping………….

upload_2019-6-18_9-10-55.png

I was completely mesmerized! Yes, I know I am still drifting………“A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion... .this is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.” Richard Bach

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Mesmerizing write up, as always. Your description makes one feel the weather in the mind without being physically there in your place. Have you played a game of holding a dragon fly and make them lift a small piece of round object with their elbows? That used to be a fun game when I was a child. Of course, we let them go free after conducting a brief training program. :)

Toby must be excited to watch the rain but don't want to get wet. Orion enjoys rain but is afraid of thunder and lightning. He is also afraid of garbage truck thinking that it was going to take him away from us. Stranger are the ways they think.

I really love the poem about roots and the wings. As I was overwhelmed with a transition request that was sent to every volunteer in our care center. The patient is turning 100 in a few days but is in unconscious state for a while now. Her wish is not to die alone and hence care center is making extra effort to circulate to all volunteers to help as much as they could. The day times are all already taken care and the night time is the problem. I have requested for a few slots this week to serve this patient. I realize that she has a strong root with this planet but needs help of a few fellow beings to fly away. The attachment to this planet keeps her alive everyday.

Srama likes this.
  3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Sabitha,

Wonderful write up, as always. Now, I have a feeling that I know your place very well. In fact, I feel connected to your place more than many of the place I had been physical. This is your strength of the writing. I so wish that I can write like you.

At North East Scotland, we haven't seen the summer yet. It is raining and still, we are using our winter coats. But, I am sure it is coming and I would like to hope that it is soon.

I loved the poem you have quoted and I cannot have enough of the below,

Now I am going to go for a walk while my YS is training and I couldn't agree more about the fact that nature rejuvenates the being. Thank you so much for the lovely, heart touching write up.
    Love,
    vani

Srama likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Thank you for your feedback. I kind of sort of remember playing with dragon flies growing up. My mom was very fond of plants and she had a green thumb. Perhaps I have inherited some aspect of that from her. Toby is not worried about rain as much as the wet grass - strange indeed. He will get all wet and walk on the side walk or road but ask him to step on a wet door mat or grass, he is chicken!

I do sincerely hope that the patient finds her peace and it is nice to know that all of you are there, taking turns.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani,

You know what even as I uploaded the pictures I did wonder if I am writing too much about my place :) and here you are attesting you feel like you know my place! I am happy to have you any time. I hope you enjoyed the walk. For me, some days are so overwhelming that I need to take myself out and enjoy that nature. I did find various version of the poem but I kind of liked this a little more. I have friends who have this on pillow covers for their children and have always wondered about. I understand it better as I grow older and experience more.

Thank you as always for your warm feedback.

Thyagarajan and girvani like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    We have a guided tour of your garden. We had also coffee on your deck!!!! Got rejunivated we too. Sun peeps rarely in London...when sun peeps in the whole city is outside their homes. The place from where I came had more than 40 degrees and we were waiting for a relief from sun!!!!!
    Roots and wings....Strong, firm sense of belonging to a place (otherwise we feel lost) and at the same time have wings to fly to achieve our dreams!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

There are thingd that we see everyday and ignore. Not everyone can see the poetry in them like you. Sorry about your teacher.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you @shyamala1234 as always for your warm response. Some days I feel the nature around me more intensely on some days than others. I am glad I have a yard I can look at when I need to calm myself down ;-)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Balajee ,

You truly warmed my heart talking about my teacher. I did not realize how much I had begun to care for him and even the thought that he may not remember me was devastating for me. Thank fully he was very happyto hear my voice on phone, though he cannot teach anymore, I am only grateful that at least I can visit him and share the pictures I take with him and get critiqued - I hope that helps him too for it helps me immensely. You know now I cannot take a picture without thinking of him and that is the kind of mark some people leave on us.
    The mundane things then become a matter of importance when an emotion is attached with it - now I know when I feel a little down even, I take that camera, walk around, think of my teacher and click away and then snippets like this simply flow. I know the emotions attached behind these snippets but I am grateful that I can at least look beyond when I need it the most.

It is nice to see you back here. Thank you for your feedback.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,
    An enchanting account as always.
    Two days' non-stop rains! how lucky you are! I am actually jealous of you.In Chennai we have totally forgitten what rain means.I was simply enjoying your write up twice or thrice and imagining of the same type of rain in madras.I totally forgot to respond. Only Srama can mesmerize us so much.
    jayasala 42