1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Meal Replacement: The Food Of The Future

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Umanga, May 12, 2017.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Hello everybody,

I am fascinated by the concept of meal replacement and I thought I would make the readers of this forum aware of the major meal replacement products available today as I am guessing this is a fairly novel concept for Indians. I don't have anything to do with these products, I am just very intrigued by the possibilities they present.

The main objective of meal replacement is to ensure that the human body gets all the nutrients it needs without the hassle of shopping, cooking, storing and preparing meals. It is not recommended that we completely remove normal food from our diet but if we are feeling hungry in-between conventional meals or we don't feel like cooking one day we can sip one of these drinks and it should keep us sated for hours, while giving us all the nutrients that we need. Meal replacement is not meant for weight-loss or weight-gain. However, it can certainly be used to achieve either of those goals. So, here goes.

1) Soylent (USA): This is the company that started it all back in 2013. Soylent is available as a powder, as a pre-mixed drink with the following flavours: original, coffee, nectar and chocolate and as a food bar. Each bottle of the pre-mixed drink meets 20% of the daily nutritional requirements of an average adult which are calculated at 2,000 calories. Here is a good article exploring the genesis of Soylent and the philosophy of its young founder, Rob Reinhart.

2) Huel (U.K.): Huel is short for "Human Fuel". This is a British company and it claims to be more nutritionally-complete than Soylent. If you live in the U.K., you can get this product. They have a gluten-free version a food bar and flavour packets like vanilla and chocolate. Here is a good review of somebody who existed on Huel for a week. Huel's nutritional profile is available here.

[​IMG]

3) Ambronite (Finland): This is the most expensive meal replacement product out there. I think this is because they don't use any artificial ingredients. Here is a good review.

4) Bertrand (Germany): This is a nice German company named after the English philosopher Bertrand Russell. They are fairly new but look promising and ship far and wide. I think they also use organic ingredients like Ambronite but are not as expensive. Here is a video in German (with English subtitles) that follows a student who exists solely on the drink. Here is a review on Reddit which is a goldmine of information on this subject

[​IMG]

5) Calorie Mate (Japan): Unlike the above products, which are to be consumed in liquid form, this comes as a solid. In the words of a lady who reviewed this product, "This is not a shake or a bar or a powder; it’s a “balanced food block.” And it comes in your choice of simple flavors: cheese, chocolate, fruit, maple, or plain."

[​IMG]

6) Supermeal X (India): Inspired by the Soylent craze in America an Indian fellow decided to make his own version. If you are in India, this is probably your best best.

So, I hope this article has been informative. I have not tried any of these products. But, I hope to in the future. As I said in the introduction, I am just fascinated by the concept. Produced cheaply and on a wide scale, these products could effectively end hunger and malnutrition. In the next few decades, I think all of us shall be drinking Soylent or some version thereof. Good luck and I am happy to answer any questions you might have as I have done fairly extensive research on this subject.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    kkrish and Shreema86 like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am intrigued enough. Is there a blog or some place where someone who has tried it for long has posted their experience?

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

There is the internet, you only have to look. People have been experimenting since 2013 when Soylent was released. Your best source is probably the Soylent sub-reddit.

Having said that, I thought I provided more than enough links and videos in the post itself.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hee hee. : ) In another lifetime, when people asked such queries as I have, I directed them to LMGTFY

Of late, I've found that google or other search results turn up way too many not good quality results in the first 2-3 pages. Hence, the query.
    That's true.

So, nosy question - you have done so much research but not tried it yourself? But why? Are you hoping sufficient people of Indian origin will try and post results and then you will?

Sunburst and Umanga like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Umanga likes this.
  6. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

interesting , thanks for sharing ! Personally I wouldn't try, as I am wary of any packaged food/powder . Also taste plays a major role in digestion. When we smell and taste food , our gastric juices are activated . in case of these types of powder we may gulp it down more like a medicine and gastric juices may not get activated .

IniyaaSri, Sunburst and Umanga like this.
  7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I live in India. It's easier to get real food here :)

8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Great suggestion.

Let me also add:

- RXBar

- Tudo

- Anapur

- Nutberg

And ladies, the best source of information on this subject and many others is Reddit. Just google "reddit" along with the subject of your choice and many user experiences shall pop up.

9. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

I live in the US. It's easy to get real, organic food here as well. If one is conscious and committed enough to provide the best for their body and mind , one doesn't need slurp this sludge . Soylent also had a few recalls of late . No one knows what exactly goes in these products and the overall manufacturing process so I wouldn't trust them. There is no replacement to real, wholesome food. Everything else is just marketing gimmicks.

satchitananda, kkrish and IniyaaSri like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Congrats on the nomination.
    Very interesting and as I checked the information I was wondering in what way these are new or different than the nutritional drinks already in the market? I know you are the messenger, so, no I am not going to bother you more. I'll read about these later.

As @Rihana mentioned in the nomination, it may help solve MIL - DIL relationship. Only issue is, what if the MIL or DIL is a person like me who needs spicy meals. MIL-DIL problems can never be destroyed; they will only transform ;).

Jest aside, the homemaker in me wonders at the cost effectiveness of these meals. The gourmand in me wonders if it will taste chalky.
    Peas, carrots, greens all in vanilla, chocolate flavor?
    Except for saving time, right now I, a typical sambar rasam lover, am wondering what other advantages these have. As @Sunburst says, despite the labels we know not what other stuff go in these as flavor enhancers.

That said I will support it wholly if they are cheap enough to reach people who are unable to move or cook, the undernourished, and poor children in schools. I doubt if these will be affordable.

Thanks for bringing this to our notice. Good to know that alternate solutions exist for those who might be looking for a quick nourishment in their busy lives such as doctors, pilots, nurses, firemen, night shift workers, policemen, security folks, etc., though I have my reservations.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017