1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Me Too?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

You don't nee to utter a clearcut NO at the tim b the guy makes a pass. After passively putting up with harassment and then cribbing does not show the accusers in a good light.r

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, I get to know about some of the Indian current events from your snippet posts only. I like reading them even though I don't know enough about those topics to respond.

You have valid points in your posts in this thread. I too have misgivings about sexual harassment claims from long ago including about the inevitable unfairness to some men as the this pendulum swings the other way.

I am a fan of humor, and a supporter of the freedom of expression. But, a topic so sensitive as this needs more delicate handling. Your first post was not in good taste. That it got to remain in a ladies forum for so long is very surprising. I am reminded of this beauty pageant where a winner returned her crown after #MeToo was joked about in an insensitive skit performed at the pageant. The skit described in this link is about as funny as your gramps' #MeToo. Beauty queen turns in crown after #MeToo joke - CNN

sindmani, joylokhi, PavithraS and 2 others like this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This has been said before, rather more crudely (or eloquently, depending on your point of view), by the inimitable Karl Lagerfeld: “If you don’t want your pants pulled about, don’t become a model!” said Karl. “Join a nunnery, there’ll always be a place for you in the convent.”** He was castigated in the media (without any real consequence, one might add), but the question remains: in industries in which sexual appeal is the product, where do the boundaries lie? What is it exactly that a woman (or man) consents to when entering such a profession? Surely, even there, it is not to wholesale humiliation and exploitation? Is it so terrible to say, well, hips do lie; projecting sexuality onscreen is one thing, but putting out for an oleaginous producer quite another? As for a statute of limitations, the ship has sailed. It may work in the courts, but not in the Agora online.

** I get the impression that Lagerfeld was actually talking, not about sexual harassment, but about having the lacy unmentionables fiddled with during a shoot.

4. Rihana

The good light be damned. Accuser finally came out. Finally she got the support, the courage. Jai Ho.

If after 10 pages, and heart-wrenching narrations by women, we are not even beginning to convince you how hard it is to accuse someone... it is a lost battle.

I was reading this thread past few days, and not able to post much in IL. Reading the past experiences of women, I thought back to some of my own. I was horrified not at re-recalling some of those tattooed in the mind, but to realize that there were many more that I simply dismissed as 'happens' or not a big deal. And to multiply that horror, some are FB friends with families and respect and all. I am not talking about a lewd joke or comment about my dressing. It is 'will you kiss me if I...' or 'my wife is out of town, come to my apartment...' At work.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    sindmani, ano and PavithraS like this.
  5. Rihana

Deleted.

Am out of this thread. Way too disturbing and old-ghosts-excavating for my fragile and relaxed Sunday eco-system. : )

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Indeed. As you can see, the question was somewhat rhetorical!

However, if you think about it for a minute, it's trickier that that. When we start saying "Hey, you know what this field is like! If you don't want to put out, then go do something else - this is not for you!", then we exert a not so subtle selection pressure in favor of people who are willing to (or feel compelled to) debase themselves for the opportunity. After that, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy (everyone does it!) that ratchets up with the exploiters and the exploited finding one another pretty much on auto-pilot. It does not require an organized conspiracy. It is manufactured consent, insinuating itself into the very DNA of an institution or of society, becoming systemic.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Urmila likes this.
  7. ano

ano Silver IL'ite

:BangHead: I am sure none of the women who have come forward expect a character certificate from you either.
    All we expect from you is not to make tasteless jokes at expense of trauma victims and then defend that sick joke for 10 long pages.it does not show you in a good light

boby, Mistt and HazelPup like this.
  8. Durga55

Durga55 New IL'ite

Its difficult for any girl to speak up unless parents or elders make her confident enough to share everything with them.

Mistt and sindmani like this.
  9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Those men who talk against the #metoo campaign with questions like why they didt say NO or file a complaint back then should first go home and ask their women - daughter , sister or mother or anyone about it. I am sure most of them will have a story about similar events if not major to tell and reasons why they didn't file a case. First start it from your home instead of blaming the victims about their inability to report. Its pathetic that even educated men are unwilling to come out of their narrow mind setup and is pretending blind even now. We will be wasting our time by trying to change them. Let us invest our time for some thing better.

You can't wake up someone who pretends to be asleep.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Very true. Thanks for understanding women's problem. Hope there are more people like you.

joylokhi and shravs3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.