1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

# Me Too And A Knee-jerk Reaction By Men

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Oct 13, 2018.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Geetha, A timely snippet. Congrats for bringing out an elaborate picture of the reality.

Almost all women would have had this bitter experience at some point of time.I well remember an instance when we were having Darshan of Ratnangi Seva in Srirangam on Vaikunta Ekadasi day. My father and my sister(15) were standing in the previous row, myself 10 was standing behind.There was no queue, but people were standing in a haphazard manner in a big pandal. My sister had a good frame looked really beautiful. Some chap behind tried to reach her mid chest from behind. It was such a packed crowd. She felt uneasy and was requesting my father to leave the place and go home.She could not convey anything to my father. But I could watch all these things from behind. I suddenly caught hold of his hand , bit him severely with my teeth to the point of bleeding.He gave me a slap and fled the place.A few people watching this from behind warned my father for having taken the aged daughter amidst unwieldy crowd. Some women seeing this appreciated me for my courage.
    Even then my father scolded me that the fellow would have recognized my face and misbehave while going to school.Though I was not the victim, the incident can never be forgotten.On reading the news item, my sister in 80s telephoned to me whether I remembered the incident in Srirangam temple. She could not forget it even after 68 years.

Jayasala 42

boby, rachaputi, poovai and 9 others like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. GeetaKashyap:

Even what is posted just here in the following threads to be counted, one can understand the menace the women are facing in general.

# Me Too And A Knee-jerk Reaction By Men

Me Too?

It is very painful to know how many women we know here in IL or their family or friend have encountered sexual harassment. It looks like if one is a woman, there is no way one can grow up without at least one such experience. This is really alarming and #Me Too is the only solution. I tip my hats off for women who openly share their experiences. The women I interact everyday and revere so much here in IL have all faced difficult situations in their lives. Seriously, men need to wake up and be part of the change #Me Too is looking for.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

You said it, Sir!

Only a sufferer would know the enormity of a problem.

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

Awesome presence of mind, ma'am! I can very well imagine how it must have left a permanent scar on your sister's mind. Public places are where such creeps lurk and because of them, we could never enjoy any public activity. When a friend of mine was attacked by 3 goons, one was trying to silence her with his hand. She had the presence of mind and strength to bite of his one finger! The moment he realised, he loosened the grip to run away and she spat his finger out!

Unfortunately, in the offices and professional fields, the creeps are sophisticated and very powerful. The conditions could be quite overwhelming and can harm a victim professionally. A friend's daughter had issues with her boss and when he refused to back off, she resigned in a huff. Then for over 6 months, she couldn't find a job and she was getting rejected everywhere mysteriously. So in desperation, she took up a job for a far lesser salary!

sindmani and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

Thanks for these soothing words, Sir.

I too faced discrimination, innuendos and even open suggestions when I worked for a multinational and later when I freelanced post my marriage. Lately, women are far tougher and ambitious; undoubtedly, these irritants must be a routine for them.

7. GeetaKashyap

Lol, good one, Satchi! This is worth sharing with others, hope you don't mind!:)

8. GeetaKashyap

[​IMG]
    O-zone by Vinita Dawra Nangia in Sunday Times special edition dt 14.10. 2018

Amulya Gopalakrishnan writes under 'To name and address' in today's Sunday Times
    "MeToo is not about M J Akbar or Nana Patekar or other powerful men who are now in trouble; it is about questioning a culture marinated in male sexual entitlement and the inequality that undergirds it. If this feels destabilising, it's because it is- it's about changing what's normal."

'

sindmani likes this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

[​IMG]

Source: Sunday times dt 14 October 2018

10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

This topic is all over. Good that it has been put in IL. There is always time for certain things. A few weeks back it was LGBTQ and they got a reprieve from the Supreme Court. But a big but will that solve their problem? No court order can solve such problems. Society has to accept them and before that parents of such children will have to accept them. A long way to go.
    Ditto for 'Me too'. Good that the ladies are coming out and taking the risk. Long back, because of such possibilities, all cabins of high ranking employees, were fitted with glass doors so that all could see what is happening inside. In some offices now there are no cabins. Sexual harassment did not stop. On the contrary fewer women were employed. These in the 'Metoo' movement will face the same. I am sure they are ready but it will affect other women aspirants.
    There is yet another angle. M J Akbar and others have threatened that they will take legal action. How many of these accusations will stand the trial is yet to be seen but it is quite possible that some of these may be are vendetta for some other reason. The career of that man is at risk. Well some would say it is all collateral damage.
    The most important thing is that all these men were children once and had parents who failed to make them good citizens. All those crying hoarse today are forgetting their own role of bringing up their own children.
    Women are exploited all over the world and from times immemorial. I am posting one of my old blog. Please think a while.