1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

May Your Best Saree(s) Win!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

May Your Best Saree(s) Win!

colors.PNG
    Blue with shades of purple, pink and white is how I remember it for those were the only color names that I knew then. Now, I can picture it in my mind with the hues of teal, periwinkle, magenta, lavender, mauve, azure, lapis and cobalt that it had. If I close my eyes, I can recall the feel of its crepe and chiffon pallu grazing my forearm or its fall-trimmed edges reaching my toes. It was more than just a saree; it was an experience, a discovery, an itinerary, an intellectual intimacy all at once and by turn.

Whenever I recall @kkrish 's post about sorting her saree collection, ironing and lovingly hanging them, my mind unbidden goes through each almirah, suitcase, chest of drawers and closet I have used to store my sarees over the years. Remembering all those sarees is like standing in front of each set and trying to choose which one to wear on a given day. Many memorable sarees came to mind, but that blue-purple-pink-white chiffon-crepe saree is the foremost. It was special then and remains so now even if it exists only in the innermost recesses of my memory.

The print was too bold to wear to interviews or presentations, but it was perfect to wear when going for a joyride on my TVS. A joyride in the rain. An indulgence that was not frowned upon by anyone as long as the rain was only a drizzle. It was my go-to saree on days when I knew I would be taking a crowded city bus or had to go to multiple locations of my office. Two safety-pins was all it took for the crepe-chiffon to stay in place the entire day faithfully protecting my modesty on crowded buses as well as staying wrinkle-free. Talking of wrinkle-free, it was my first true wash-and-wear garment, though ironing it did give it a sophisticated sheen and even better fall. The one time it went to the dhobi for ironing by mistake, I was fit to be tied for I trusted only me and my sister with ironing it. The whole family breathed a sigh of relief when the dhobi brought it back intact three days later.

My friends and colleagues often pulled my leg about how often I wore it. The closer ones dared to call it my "uniform" and I later came to know that some used to even place bets on whether I’d wear it to work on a given day. I wish I still had it. It was not so fancy as to be preserved with care for years and handed down with love and instructions to the next generation, but I would have liked to see my daughter wear it once. There were a few other sarees that were special to me, but they will always come second to this one.

There are many sarees for various occasions and times - teen years, first job, the first one "borrowed" from your mom, your wedding saree, the reception one. Which one stands in the forefront of your memory? Which had that special material, print, or memories associated with it? Do share. Maybe even a picture of the saree if you still have it.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I think I can give a better answer had you asked which saree/colour I don't like.The maroon red ( Wedding saree in almost all the families), mostly nine yds, with two inches zari border.The aversion came to me as I saw all the brides in the same colour saree.My MIL bought the same coloured saree for me too, as it was not my choice.But for my daughter/daughter-in-law I chose mango yellow and green.,which they liked a lot.
    Normally double shades I like, though some fade away after some years.
    Silk sarees don't have long life, however much care we take .
    I don't have many collections and I am content with limited numbers.

jayasala42

SinghManisha, Rihana, kkrish and 2 others like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I have not one but many favourite sarees.
    My first and favourite was a pink saree which I wore for my 12th farewell.
    It had white stones on it.
    The pattern was something similar to a saree which was worn by an actress in my favourite movie.
    My parents had selected this saree and I couldn’t go for shopping as I was preparing for exams.
    The moment my parents showed me the saree I was surprised as pink is my favourite colour and the pattern was my favourite. And without even me telling my parents about how the saree should look!

The next favourite is a yellow saree which I wore for a puja in my college.
    I have lots of memories associated with it.

And coming to the next favourite and most important saree which I wore for my wedding.
    For a long time I was looking for a particular colour saree but it was mostly a disappointment.
    Either the shade was not the one I was looking for or the design would be bad.

Coincidentally I found it during my wedding shopping.
    The first time I saw that saree I fell in love with it. It was a lavender colour kanchivaram saree with golden buttas and peacocks near the border.
    The happiness in my eyes when I saw it was priceless. Not just me all my family members who had been for shopping loved it and decided that it will be my muhurtham saree :hearteyes:
    Finally when the day arrived when I wore it I received so many compliments for the shade as it’s usually very rare for silk sarees.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Prior to getting married I rarely wore sarees...during wedding shopping , after seeing the collections I fell in love with dates and the elegance that Indian women get due to well draped sarees...got married many years ago but still all of my engagement and wedding sarees are equally special to me...especially one in a unique beautiful bluish green colour...

SinghManisha, Rihana, kkrish and 3 others like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I have had a few favourites over the years.

My first one was a navy blue saree with gold border.
    I went to buy it with my friend for my 12th farewell.
    I had no knowledge about sarees and it was pretty ordinary silkish saree...but I loved it .
    Even wore it to a few parties post marriage till it torn along the fold .

Another favorite was a Mysore silk saree. Deep blood red with a navy border with a thin gold line separating the two deep colours.
    It was such a beautiful saree.
    Wore it to distruction . I learnt to sew blouses and made a tiny sexy navy blue blouse to go with it.
    My husband loved the saree and me in the saree and the blood red lipstick.:yum:

Another favourite was a nude colour chiffon saree with shiny nude colour sequins. Sexy was the only word to describe the saree.:rolleyes:

The most worn favorite is the one gifted by my mil.
    She has real good taste in sarees.A black crepe with maroon and creme gold border. I have worn it so many times that the fall had to be changed.

Last but not the least....a torquoise chiffon with turquoise and silver sequins .....this one because my girls love it .:kissingheart:

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for tagging me @Rihana
    My love for sarees is so well known a friend told me she thought of me while watching the ladies in the movie "Mission Mangal".
    I love all my sarees, each in its own way.

However, when it comes to comfort I will vote for three sarees I had while living in India - all of them Khatau Terrycot sarees that I wore to work - one a soft mauve, another a pale cream yellow, and another a leaf green with dark green border.
    All three draped so well and stayed in place the entire day without a single pin to hold them.
    They also lent a quiet distinguished look. Just the way I liked it.

I would starch them despite them being terrycot, and after ironing them they had this "like-new" sheen.
    It was hard for me to let them go.

SinghManisha and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Loved your repsonse, Ma'am. : ) Gives me idea for another thread.... your least favorite saree color/type. Actually I do have some from the current fads that I can't stand - one being the abomination called half-saree though it is a full saree.

The brides always wearing some colors -- aah many a bride among my relatives were chided for trying to go against the norm.

Amulet likes this.
  8. Rihana

Wow shravs so nice to read the descriptions. I can imagine the 12th farewell setting, the scene in the shop as the entire family is involved in the buying, the salesperson showing saree after saree ...

The lavender color brought to mind memories of running to multiple matching centers for blouse material of rarer colors. Then taking the saree and fabric (wrapped around a roll or carboard) to outside the shop to check it in the day light.

shravs3 likes this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

All my sarees ! Every single one of them!

shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

I had one from my 12th farewell and one from college farewell party. They are part of my favorite sarees. Much to my sister and mother's amusement and chagrin I packed them in the two suitcases I took to the U.S. Wore them when we went to watch Hindi movies in the U.S. before we got married. Pati dev had SLR camera (with tripod, multiple lenses etc). I happily modeled them and it feels nice to look back at those days now through those pictures.

Same combination Mysore silk was the one I wore the day I knew he would kinda sorta propose. : )

This is getting a bit eerie.. I had one like this too. Only my sister and I called it 'onion' color. This was the saree bought for me in my brother's wedding. Actually I think we bought the saree and got the work done separately. Felt so womanly to wear it.

Sigh.. time to get back to serious exercise routine so I can wear all the old ones more often.