1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

May You Live In Interesting Times!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Two recent MILs were sitting on a bench in a park and chatting.

MIL1: Times are getting worse. I never thought I would see such days. The other day, my son called me and told me he got married and is bringing his bride home. I was shell-shocked. With a lot of running around, I prepared to welcome my new DIL at home, consoling myself that if not the wedding, at least I get this ritual done for my DIL.

The bell rang. I opened the door and my son was there with his bride. I looked at the bride from head to toe. The clothes were different, with no Mehndi in hand and no jewelry. “Is this my DIL?” I asked myself and then consoled myself, “The times are changing. At least the bride is not of a different culture.”

With a heavy heart, I stretched myself to apply kumkum and rice on the bride’s forehead and performed an aarti of the DIL. The bride walked into the house and pushed the Kalasha (copper pot) filled with rice, signifying that the bride will bring in wealth and prosperity to the house. I had then to run back to the kitchen to get a bigger thali (dish) as the bride’s feet were larger than I anticipated. I filled it with a paste of kumkum and water and made the bride step into it before entering the house, chanting the rhymes at the same time and asking God for help.

At that time, my mind couldn’t even imagine of the problems that ensued. My DIL doesn’t wear decent clothes in the house, never cooks or cleans or does laundry, wakes up late, goes to gym daily – what do I say? Whom do I say? When our own child does this to us, whom can we blame?

MIL2: Yes. You are right. I am going through the same situation. One day, my daughter informed me that she loves someone. Both my husband and I were against the marriage. How will we face the society? We tried to persuade her but she didn’t listen. Finally, we got her married in court. My dreams of a big wedding were dashed. The only saving grace is that my SIL (Son-In-Law) is traditional in nature and on top of working, does the dishes, cooking, cleaning, laundry and all that much better than my own daughter. At the marriage, as part of the ritual, I had to pick the nose and in doing so I had to be careful as the nose had a piercing. My nieces wanted to hide the sandals of the SIL but they even didn’t get a chance to do so. What can we do? Whom do we blame? Just as the purported Chinese say, “May you live in interesting times!!”

MIL1: What's the name of your SIL?
    MIL2: Priya. What's the name of your DIL?
    MIL1: Rohan.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2016
    Balajee, Scorpio707, Kamalji and 3 others like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Nice snippet.
    Thought provoking and so true, times have changed.
    Either we change or endure hurts. So the better option is to accept the change, it would be challenging but that's the way, to get peace of mind.
    Thanks for the write up.
    Vaidehi

Akanksha1982 and beautifullife30 like this.
  3. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

Hi nice snippet and both ladies though they feel bad they accepted the reality i am glad by that because instead of fighting over we have to move on accept what has happened ....

Akanksha1982, momsky and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. Lakshmi6197

Lakshmi6197 Gold IL'ite

"May you live in interesting times" is supposed to be a chinese curse :mask: as per what I have read.

Well narrated but frightening content :rolleye:
    Saw a same sex couple a few months ago and didnt know what to think :facepalm:

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aks,
    Yes this is a chinese saying.
    and yes it is better we see our son marrying a lady than a man.HAHAHAHAHAHA

Times are changing and are interesting really.i too see a lot of these things around me, and i can tell u, i can write books on them.But let them be, apne baap ka kya jata hai eh !
    Regards
    kamal

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Akanksha1982 ,

A nice narration on this generation MILs. I don't know what is in store for the DILs and SILs when they become MILs and Dads of teenage daughters!

Thinking of the P.S., Is it not better for the society to totally ignore this aberration or different compulsion for a small part of us and move on? In my opinion all our ancient treasures of wisdom like scriptures /traditions/ literature and mythologies and sculptures have carefully and purposefully avoided this phenomenon and ignored without a mention or judgment to ensure social coherence!

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  7. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Nice one Aks...it caught my eye with the mention of park :) .
    Talk about interesting times now...so much happens all around these days. I wonder if others look at us if they find us interesting too, for whatsoever reasons :D:p .

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  8. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

So are you saying that you are not okay with same-sex unions/couples/marriages ? or maybe ok with the concept but hope your own kids won't go down that path ?

Akanksha1982 likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why were you traumatized? What is this reality that you're dreading so much? Have you never seen heterosexual couples kiss in public? Why write a snippet lamenting the future when it is two gay men? There is a word for it -- homophobia!

10. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Why is someone gay? Is it genetic, or is it due to the environment they grow up in like is it due to media influence or what is the reason?
    Why do we see the numbers more these days of people saying I am gay than earlier days? Is it because they are accepted better now and were judged and even persecuted earlier? Whats the reason?
    Is there any mention of homosexuality in our epics, itihaas or puranas?

Akanksha1982 likes this.