1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Maxi Dress / Skirt

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by GoneGirl, Feb 6, 2017.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Would you wear a maxi dress ( talking about a conservative one with a cardigan or sweater) or maxi skirt to work? I love them both but feel it may not be appropriate for a conservative work place. But still puzzled that an above knee pencil skirt is acceptable, but these not so! Your thoughts?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

if without much prints/designs and overall with cardigan if it looks more of business casual than an outing dress you can try wearing and see how you feel comfortable or not. Do you any body wearing those dresses in your office? if not try one friday and see.

GoneGirl and momsky like this.
  3. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I think they are classy and stylish at the same if worn with good accessories. I agree with Kashmir, plain or less prints are good for corporate outfits and you can play it up a bit with your blazer/cardigan/scarf.

GoneGirl likes this.
  4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I wouldn't. I could never pull it off as semi formal. I don't even wear them to mall or any other place, except to pool or park parties or beach.

Amica and GoneGirl like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Not to work. It does not look formal enough, even in our business-casual office. I have never seen any woman at our large organization wear one to work.

GoneGirl likes this.
  6. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

I would not consider it to be work appropriate unless you work in a fashion industry or some other specialized industry that does not adhere to the more traditional "business casual" dress code. Pencil skirt's are considered to be appropriate because of the fabric and the tailoring. It has a zipper, structured, wool, etc. Like a pull-on bandage skirt would not be appropriate either even if it's the same length as a pencil skirt.

If you want something more conservative than a pencil skirt, there are a-line skirts that fall to mid-calf length or so.

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

It depends on your work environment. I work at a university and I do wear long skirts and maxi dresses sometimes and my colleagues do too. How you wear a maxi skirt/ dress can make a huge difference.
    A nice maxi dress (solid color, belted, non clingy) worn with a blazer looks professional. Similarly, maxi skirt paired with formal blouse or button down shirt looks quite professional. Here are few examples:
    IMG_20170207_231929.jpg IMG_20170207_231816.jpg IMG_20170207_231958.jpg ff987edd757adbe3b766d6beda1a45b6.jpg

Kera, GoneGirl and Anusuya like this.
  8. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I would have hard time wearing maxi dress but then again I don't wear the dress normally either because I am short & don't feel comfortable. But I have worn maxi skirt at work with cardigan & a neck scarf. It was black/white chevron print. So I agree with the comment before, as long as it is minimal print/solid color. Try it out

GoneGirl likes this.
  9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I agree with most of the posters, that a maxi dress/skirt is a little too casual and not appropriate for the workplace. You can dress it up, of course, and with neutral colors and accessories, it would fit in alright. But most maxi dresses are made of fabrics that look like casual wear - thin or colorful.

GoneGirl likes this.