1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Math Club Contests In Spring - Pre Amc, Mathcounts

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Nanali, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Nanali

Nanali New IL'ite

Contests My Math Club are going in Spring

To explore MathCounts and AMC typed competitions, and to further improve our problem solving skills,

all Elementary students of our math club are encouraged to attend one or all of the following math

competitions in March and April.

[​IMG]
    Math Olympiads for Elementary and Middle Schools (MOEMS)

Mar-Apr 2019. Please register a team with your coach
    Grades 4-8 in team setting
    Individual Round: timed 10 problems

Team Round: timed 10 problems

Playoff Round: timed 5 problems

MOEMS is a large and popular math tournament in USA. It’s also a great preparation for your future

MathCounts contests

Results are announced onsite right after your competition
    Sample problems can be found @ www.moems.org

[​IMG]
    Beestar National Competition (BNC) Mathematics Online for Grades 2-7

Mar 18-21, 2019, a 4-day online competition
    As a popular online mathematics event since 2015, BNC is held twice a year Fall and Spring. BNC is

a great preparation for your future MathCounts and AMCs

Similar as the Sprint and Target rounds in MathCounts, BNC has Round 1: DASH with 4 timed exams of

10 problems ?Round 2: SPARK with 4 timed exams of 5 problems

$7 per student. Please register @ www.beestar.org
    Competition Honor Roll will be posted online

[​IMG]
    Math Kangaroo in USA held at registered centers since 1998

Competition date: Mar 21, 2019
    Similar as in the AMC (American Mathematics Competition), Math Kangaroos has a single round of 75

minutes contest

24 problems, timed for levels 1-4?30 problems, timed for levels 5-12
    Math Kangaroos has helped students to reach their goals for 20 years. It is also a great preparation

for future AMCs

Competition Honor Roll will be posted online
    $21 per student. Please register @ www.mathkangaroo.us

[​IMG]
    The Math League has contests for Grades 4-8

Our contest is on 4th Friday of April for Grades 4 & 5 students
    One round contest for 30 minutes
    Your contest contains 30 multiple choice questions. You may not have enough time to finish them
    Book awards and Certificates of Merit for top scores
    ContestsSample contests can be found @ www.mathleague.com

lavani, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you know how the Mathcounts teams are structured and how they are picked? I believe you have to compete at school, then charter and finally at state level? Different charters have different cut offs to make it to the next level? Do you have any experience with it? Thanks for the thread. I'd been thinking of posting something similar myself.

3. Nanali

Nanali New IL'ite

Mathcounts is for students grade 6-8. Students who start to participate math problem solving training have advantage in mathcounts. The programs I forwarded was from an elementary school math club. Those competitions have levels for elementary students. Beestar contest is for grade 2 and all the way to grade 7. Kangaroo is for Grade 1 and up. etc Beestar provides all year round free math and Gifted and Talented math competitional weekly exams online for grade 1 to grade 8 students. All those are some of the ways to improve kids math levels before mathcounts hits.

Mathcounts has 4 rounds of competition. School round is the first round for picking mathletes. It usually happens in late Fall. Every school has their students and teams(4 in each team) picked up to compete in chapter round that is early Feb. Each chapter will select 6 teams and around 20 individuals in each chapter are picked to the State round. From my experience, students with pretty intense math training in elementary school usually make into State round. The State round is in March of each year.

Most middle school has a contest math program. I also see it pretty common that some middle schools have parent volunteers to run their contest math program and organize the team to Mathcounts events.

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

5. Rihana

Rihana IL Hall of Fame

Team formation and how they are picked is up to the teacher or parent who is the coach. It is a well organized competition. The handbook lists the rules clearly. The italics and underline below are not mine. : ) The organizers would have received sufficient complaints from parents to have included that line like that. The entire handbook is worth reading by parents of any interested participants, even if the parent is not coaching.

SCHOOL COMPETITIONS (TYPICALLY HELD IN JANUARY 2019): After several months of coaching, schools registered for the Competition Series should administer the 2019 School Competition to all interested students. The School Competition should be an aid to the coach in determining competitors for the Chapter Competition. Selection of team and individual competitors is entirely at the discretion of the coach and does not need to be based solely on School Competition scores. School Competition materials are sent to the coach of a school, and it may be used by the teachers and students only in association with that school’s programs and activities.

I was a coach but left it to another parent to select the team. A few years before and after that, the middle school math teacher selected the team and registered and all that. He had a criteria for team selection that looked arbitrary to most parents. He gave his students an unfair advantage by having them do mathcounts problems in regular class time. But eventually, I felt that each year the most deserving students got to be in the team.

From what I have heard, this kind of team selection politics happens more in public schools, especially the competitive ones.

The AoPS mathcounts videos are a treasure to behold. They were the reason I took up the thankless job of coach and co-coordinator. All AoPS books, courses and material are of the highest quality (as also observed by sokanasanah in many posts including this one) but their mathcounts/amc online prep courses are even more special. If I am recalling correctly, my DH used to peep in occasionally while our kid was doing the online course in his/her room, and DH said that the questions other kids asked were cool or something.

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. lavani

lavani Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for this.

@Rihana . I am confused and have a question for you.
    Can the child appear on his own. My kid's school did not announce any such programs. this looks interesting atleast something to keep my kids busy. I am not sure, if approaching the school will help if they do not have any such initiative , i do not want to volunteer with my work schedule quite busy.

7. lavani

lavani Gold IL'ite

@Rihana how different is this from Kumon, JEI.

8. Nanali

Nanali New IL'ite

If you want to keep your child busy and ask about Kumon, you can simply start something FREE and on your own. Like the online practice of math or gifted math programs. The beestar mentioned earlier has FREE weekly math challenges and it is awarded with ribbon and honor roll on every Sunday. It is easy to keep up and handle. beestar.org is the website

You can find other similar resources for free too for regular math practice.

lavani likes this.