1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Materialistic life!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tuvila, Jun 14, 2009.

1. tuvila

tuvila New IL'ite

Hi all,

Just want to share my experience and get updates on how u would have tackled it..

Iam basically from a very wealthy and well educated family with a father who considered self respect and self esteem more important than money!! He never compromised on his happiness or prestige in order to make more money.
    I grew up with the same attitude and didn't change even after marriage.

My hubby changed 4 companies in 6 years and each time he would give me excuses that his ego was being hurt,his seniors were not giving him any respect,they were giving him the work fit for a junior etc.And instead of making him understand the importance of earning and saving for the family i allowed him to resign if he was not happy in his job.And this continued in every company.
    Even after marriage and a daughter my parents have been supporting us financially and this made life easier for hubby.Whatever money he made was saved up for his sisters marriage.
    And now for the past 7mths my hubby is without a job,and we don't have any investments or savings. Right now we are surviving on my hubby's PF money.

Is this a punishment for not being materialistic? Isn't that what religious gurus tell us,don't be materialistic,self respect ,happiness are more important etc??? If so why am i now in this position?

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Tuvila,

In your case materialism dosen't figure anywhere. What matters here is your DHs attitude. I think since your father is helping you financially your DH is taking it for granted.

It is just next to impossible that in 4 consecutive orgn he finds people who are not supportive. I don't know in which field your DH is, but being an HR person i can say that these days for any company the client comes first and then the employee so its hard to believe what your DH has to say.

3. aparajithaa

aparajithaa Bronze IL'ite

but dear
    if i speak practically you may not understand and may say that is not ethical and all
    but society is not good we need to face everything

dont you remember even vasu deva (being father of lord krishna the incarnation of vishnu murthy) has to catch the legs of donkey at one point of time. isn't?
    then he never felt bad about it dear.

see dear if i want to leave a job i can give so many excuses
    but see its recession time and it happens
    sometimes we need to face it and survive

also if you say they are hurting our self respect sure at some point they will punished
    see they have bad reputation isn't?

this wont help you survive
    but you will find some justification for the question you asked na?

cheers dear
    :cheers

by the way even you can do a job na?

4. Ajith

Ajith Silver IL'ite

Don't blame your husband. You and your father are to be blamed. Your father is like Amudhasurabhi/AkshayaPatram for your husband. What incentive does he have to work when your father is taking care of the material needs? Changing 4 jobs in 6 years is not a good sign. I bet your husband would have stayed with the first job if your father hadn't doled out money whenever you asked for it. Ask your father to stop providing financial support. Yes, it may strain the relations but it will make your husband to stand on his own and think twice before quitting his job.

5. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

100% agree with Ajith. Only exception is, I think some of the blame belongs to your husband for being irresponsible. Regadless of the free money, where was his own work ethic?!? Even though your intentions were good, this problem is mostly your own doing. You've enabled your husband's irresponsible behavior.

Anyways, what Ajith said is what I also would have suggested. Tell your dad to cut off the money flow.

Take care.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Once any body is an adult, they are responsible for taking care of themselves financially. Man or woman. Life would be much simpler if marriage came after being financially independent for at least 2-3 years and preferably living away from parents.

Babies should be had when there are enough savings to tide over at least 6-9 months of no income. Once married, girls (and boys) should not expect their parents to pitch in with help except in emergencies, and even then the amount should be returned.

Your father may have considered self-respect and self-esteem very important, but frankly, that seems to be missing in you or does not come across from the original post here.

Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in being content with what my husband makes. And if that is not enough for us, I go and work too. I keep our financial problems to ourselves and do not tell my parents. Your father helped because he could not see his child suffer. Nothing wrong with that, though not the smartest move. I see the problem as you and your husband not planning your finances well because you both know your dad will always bail you both out.

If you are looking for a solution, here is an idea - sit down and talk with your husband. Without bringing up too much of the past and his frequent job changes, without hurting his ego, tell him that you are tired of receiving financial help from your parents. And that you want you both to be self-sufficient. Don't bring up about the money having gone to his sisters. Focus on the now. What can he do to get a job? How you can get a job (if you are qualified to work). how you both can live within your means.

If your father still insists on giving money, tell him to start a education account/fund in your daughter's name, with the money being available when she goes to college.

Rihana

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Isn't your husband being the same as you? And you think that's bad?

Whats your excuse to have supported this nature of him?

Who made this decision?

what happened to your financial support from your parents?

Sorry, but there's nothing to be proud about. I wouldn't blame anyone for this mess other than YOU. Your parents - it was your choice to ask them. YOU did it. Your husband - it was your choice to make him understand or prove how his job jumps is hurting you as a family. YOU rode the free ride on your father's money then.

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

i allowed him to resign if he was not happy in his job.And this continued in every company.

I may sound rude here but you let him do it the first time and the second time . That set a pattern and he didnt feel guilty. We women have more responsibility to see to it that no such hasty decisions are done in marriage. This is true especially if our husbands are challenged with regards to finance, personal relationships and any small and big thing in marriage.We need to keep them roped in to REALITY. Here it is you in picture. And partly one more fault wud be that he was not BURDENED with family expenses with repeated job changes.Yes, I call it burdened becoz he needs to realize his responsibility of having a family.

Now is also not too late.You can have your parents show cold shoulder to him and tell him to take responsibility.They also need to stop giving you support for some time. Its all for good . Initially it will be lot of angry outbursts name calling all such things. But it will also make your husband give up his old ways.

Besides,Nobody at work place is obligated to treat co workers as the other person wants. Thats why its called work.I have seen many senior people offer a cup a coffee to their seniors in some meetings. Does that make them peons. Definitely not. The situation calls for that work.Within reasonable limit doing a junior's work is not something to be ashamed of.

Insist and be firm with your husband that he becomes the man of the house and take responsibility and do the right thing. You shud assert your role as an aggressive wife , take control and drive him to do the right thing.Help him find a job and make him stick to him and not let him give excuses for job environment.Turn cold when he does and tell him he needs to stick to the job period. Good Luck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Your father's instinct is to maintain the same lifestyle you had before marriage, and he figured giving you (yes you) and your hubby money would help. It made things worse.

If he keeps resigning, obviously, there is an issue. At times you have to do menial work, even when its beneath you. Did he expect to be pampered at work? I don't get it!

I see that you are from a well educated family, didn't mention anything about you? Do you work? Just a question, because its the responsibility of both partners to provide for the family. Maybe as your husband sorts things out, you can pick up the pace and work for a bit, and there is nothing wrong with the wife bringing home the bacon.

10. aarcanu

aarcanu New IL'ite

I say that all of 3 of you are at fault!! Your father, for doling out money to his SIL whenever required, You, (1)for accepting the same from your dad and (2) Blindly listening to what your hubby is saying without validating yourself.
    And finally, your hubby - I see something drastically wrong in someone who has changed 4 jobs in 6 years. He seems to have a very high opinion of himself, and very high expectations from others - and this is definitely not acceptable at the workplace. People will get work based on the tasks that are available/pending, and secondly, on the capability of the employee. It is very probable that while your hubby thinks highly of himself, the same is not the impression of his boss(es). His bosses probably think he is capable of only the work that he is getting. One boss may be wrong, 2 may be wrong, but not ALL the bosses, ALL the time.

Another point to note is that, in an organisation, the company does not gain anything by making a senior person do a junior person's work. It simply does not make sense or profit to the company since they would never pay somebody a senior's salary(going by the designation), while making him do a junior's tasks. If a company did that all the time, soon it would be out of business!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009