Masala Varuval (Chips/ Fry)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by rajmiarun, Oct 25, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

This is something special which I like and which I have introduced it to my family and my husband and kids have also started liking it. Though I have made slight alterations to the recipie given below, the remaining is same. Will give you the recipie and also the changes that I make.

For this you could use Potato, Raw Banana or Chenai Kizhangu (Yam in English pls correct me if I am wrong).

If you are using Yam, cut it into a resonably big squares. If it is potato or Raw Banana then make slices of a reasonable thick size.

The ingredients are for 1/2 kg potato or 1/2 kg Yam or for 2 Raw Bananas.

Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
    Red Chilli Powder - depending upon the hotness of the powder take it 2 or 3 spoons.
    Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
    Onion - 1 Big
    Tomato - 1 Big
    Tamrind Paste - if thick 2 tbsp, and if watery 4 tbsp.
    Masala Powder/Masala Paste - 1 sp

Method :
    Make a fine paste of tomato, onion, and ginger garlic paste. Mix chilli powder, turmeric powder, tamrind paste and Masala Paste and the ground paste with oil and necessary salt. Make it a fine paste. Add the cut vegetable to it and mix it thoroughly so that the paste coats on all the slices. Keep aside the slices for 15 mins. Then pressure cook till 3 whistles (make sure while pressure cooking that the lid is tightly closed and no water enters the vessel in which you have kept the vegetable.

Remove it when it is cool and in a tawa fry it with a little oil. Turn the other side and fry that too. The outer side will be crispy and the inside will be a bit soft. It is a great side dish for Karakuzhambu/ Sambar/ Vathal Kuzhambu and any time of Rasam.

If you want to have it as a side dish for Chappati or Dosa you need to use only potatoes add water and make it a thinner gravy

Ok...
    now let me share how I am forced to make this dish for my husband who doesnt like masala items or ginger garlic.

Make the vegetable into slices. Add 4 tbsp oil, pinch of turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Spread it over the vegetables so that it coats on both sides. Pressure cook the vegetable and fry it on the tawa.

2. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hi Rajmi,

Nice recipe. Will try and give you FB.
    Regards,

Abha.

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Abha,
    This is a recipie which I learnt it so easily and it the one which you could make all sorts of variations you need.

Will be waiting to know whether people at your home and you liked it.