1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by forumvisitor01, May 19, 2006.

1. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

I looked at my toes, my 1st 2-toes are of the same length. Do you get any brownie points?

But, my share of 'blessings' came from my grandmas and aunties in Tamil as, 'entha maharajan vandhu kattiga poorano, avan paadu thindatam' (Who is the lucky one, going to marry her that would be his problem).

When I was growing up, I was handful to my mom and very mischievous (she said so). Always, I was the 'talk' of the house when our grandparents visited us - she did that/she brought home such and such. After my 3rd grade, I was shifted to new school every year to the boarding school, near where my dad worked (Govt. engineer). The boarding schools taught me to be a tough person, to take care of myself and to stand out in the crowd. Somehow, others bullied me or I retaliated as they expected, became very 'popular' girl. If there is no good boarding school nearby, then I was sent to live with my maternal uncle's house, and spent most of my younger years in my grandparent's house. I was very close to my maternal uncles and became their favourite niece. As my grandma's favourite, I was constantly present at most of my relatives functions. Those days, schools are not strict?, uncles are popular in local town, 1-day off if it was a distant relative's wedding and 3-days off, if it was a closer relative. Studies are not necessary for girls and told, just time passing for us. When someone says no need, that's where I put my effort to show them, they are wrong, he he he I made it to the engineering school on my own. No one expected that I would make it even to college, I disappointed many young hearts and disqualified them from my marriage alliance.

For some reason, the entire clan was waiting for my wedding period as the 1st grand daughter and for many young men who were in marriage market, it would be a lucky prize with quite 'sum' money. Later years, I came to know that I became the personal pride of my grandpa/uncles since I spent most of my childhood in their house, and many would not dare to come close to meet them for my marriage alliance, in person. One of my maternal uncle (lawyer) came to know, about 'to be' DH working in abroad as an engineer and convinced him with my 'fame' qualifications. My grandpa didn't like the groom when he met him in person, found him to be rude/impolite person and 'to be' ILs were really afraid of my entire clan's, power. My DH crossed all the hurdles and finally married me, believing in my uncle, 'vella chokkakaaran poi chola maattan' (the man who wares white shirt will not lie) :biglaugh :biglaugh

BTW, my uncle within 5-years after our marriage became the 'popular' politician. In 80's, he was a fresher out of the law school, barely opened up his law practice. My uncle proved that he really had the 'knack' to fool people, in his early career, found one only alliance for me and closed the deal secretly, even convinced DH to go against his own parents/siblings to marry me, I still wonder what he could have said to convince the 'rude' groom. I didn't make any landsliding commotion in my marriage life as many old ladies predicted and proved them all wrong, again :biglaugh :biglaugh

Well, DH has the controlling authority as our Indian president, get to sit at the driver seat and drives me around for my weekly shopping :thumbsup

3 people like this.
  2. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

For you maharajan...for me 'pava patta paiyan' (poor boy)....but the rest of the dialogue identical. :hide:

2 people like this.
  3. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for opening up nice memories. My legacy was about 40 years ago. :eek:mg: time really flies.

1 person likes this.
  4. deepa10

deepa10 Gold IL'ite

Wow! Such an interesting post eaindian.. My toe is way too smaller than my second finger and yes, my whole family including cousins tease me that I would be a dominant person in my house.!! I have been married for less than a year now and many people think that I am setting the rules in my house and poor DH follows...
    Well, all this bcoz of my DH who acts as as silent obedient husband in front of others.. Though, I try explaining my DH as "Veetla Puli velila Eli" (yes, just the reverse) no one believes me..!! :)

Thanks for the lovely post!

3 people like this.
  5. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

That is true dear. No one believes me too. :-(

3 people like this.