1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage And It's Romantic Cousin

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by coffeecups, Apr 16, 2016.

1. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    Few years back, on the eve of my marriage, when i was casually talking to a close relative, the person said " lot of people would have given advice to you regarding marriage and life after. I would like to keep it simple. Don't have high expectations about marriage. Like my husband will pamper me, love me to the moon and stuff. Marriage is like a bank. You have to invest before you withdraw in this relationship. The higher you invest, either time,love, respect, higher will be ur returns"
    Though I made a mental note of what he said, I didn't realise the true meaning of it back then.
    When I read some of the posters here feeling bad, that their husband has not got them anything on their honeymoon or doesn't say I love you even in the early days of married life, I realise thAT I too had similar feelings at the start of my marriage. My husband never articulated the words I love u for a veryyy long time and didn't get me anything either during our honeymoon or for a long time later.
    Little did I realize at that point that, this man is new in my life and the relationship is taking baby steps. Instead I over burdened it with my expectations.
    I don't mean expectations are wrong. But entering into a marriage with great expectations of romance, if not reciprocated by the spouse leads to bitterness and disappointment and a sense of misplaced judgement that I have married a person who doesn't love me.

But my husband used to talk kiddish/keep funny faces with me sometimes in the early days, and I never realised it was some exclusive thing which he shared with me and told him irritably during an argument that " for the record, I hate your funny faces"...my husband was too hurt to speak further or tell me at that point that, he shares such a high comfort level with me, to be childish in my presence.. And ironically the argument we were having was abt how he never loves me or considers me Special...
    Blame it on whatever, the Rosy periods of courtship depicted in most of the romantic novels or movies..
    The more we grow together as a couple truly understanding our spouse, we realise that at the end of the day romance doesn't lie in red roses or v day cards or I love u notes, but when your spouse returns home, after a long and hectic day at work, and the mere presence of you, makes him realise, all that, was worthwhile !!
    And after few years of marriage, I realise that love exists in the most unexpected unromantic ways.. We just have to be open to realise and accept it !!
    This was just my thoughts regarding romance, love in marriages, and it has evolved over a period of few years.. People are free to pour in their thoughts and experiences regarding the same :blush:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016

2. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Lol.. After typing in all this, I do accept that there were occasions wen minor arguments did crop up between me n dh reg expressing love in a physical form thru gifts.. Lol, I told him how much I adore cards and now he gets me one wen he is all lovey dovey though not on bdays n anniversary. But d difference, I have gained is no matter what, I don't attach undue importance to romantic gestures, and realise that love exists without romance and DAT u need to b receptive. Plus as the saying goes, wat may b romantic to one may b unromantic to d other . so, it's all about balancing our boat!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
    kaniths, sugarnspice and sindmani like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, sorry to bring this up, but could you edit your post to remove chat/sms type words? They are very distracting and make the post difficult to read.

satchitananda, kcb and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Ya, I didn't realise it. Sure will do

Induslady, satchitananda and Gauri03 like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP you write well.
    Avoiding sms type words will make it better.:beer-toast1:

As for the topic.....If one can't have expectations of romance in a marriage,then where else ?Even in arranged marriages,romance is expected.

Now I don't mean filmy romance,but the kind that should be there there between a couple who make love to each other.Caring and being nice and considerate and all that is fine,but there has to something special between a couple other wise what is the charm of this new relationship.

It is amazing that in some of our arranged marriages....sex can happen on the first night but pyaar aur izhaar hota hai dheere dheere (love and romance takes time):hollering:.

6. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

What I was trying to say is, when ppl enter a relationship with hope of love and companionship, that's understandable.. But this concept of romance, when we have very strict definitions for it and have already predetermined notions as to what amounts to romance, we will fail to enjoy the little pleasures all along, waiting for something big to happen!! At least that's wat I faced thru ! Romantic gestures add depth n color to d relationship, but nothing shud be forced or wrenched out, thru heavy expectations.. And as a spouse feels d burden of expectations melt away, he feels more free to express himself/herself better

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

coffeecups, a nice pondering on the topic by you. It often crops up in threads, and good to talk about it like this in a generic way, rather than in a thread where OP is sad about current lack of romance in marriage.

That love exists in the most unexpected, unromantic ways, is
    i) a realization that comes as the marriage grows older.
    ii) is a good way to pacify the heart when it craves romance.

Other than that, ym had said most of what I wanted to. As she often does. :)

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...it is very difficult to find two people whose idea of romance and love is the same.It is even more difficult for these two people to meet and get married.Very often one is less romantic than the other.

In our set up where the two often do not know each other well.sometimes one or both are reluctant also because they don't know what the response will be.(like your hubby making faces:tonguewink:).Sometime pehle tum pehle tum (first you)results in both waiting.

My husband's idea of romance is sharing a towel. Otherwise he is not the kind to show much romance.
    Does that stop me? no...I go about doing what I want and romancing how I want.
    Twenty years into marriage...and I am planning to wake him tomorrow with a shower of flowers on his face.I have a sadabahar plant on a table in my balcony.In the morning the table has fresh fallen flowers on it. Doing silly things like that makes me happy .He will smile and think....silly woman.
    What I am trying to convey is that why have expectations of romance only from him.If he is slow,you take the lead. Sometimes it doesn't work(I don't ruffle his hair now:grazy:) but it mostly does.

Write him notes,give him flowers ,give him surprise hugs and kisses...whatever you want.As long as one of you is being romantic and the other is enjoying,it is fine.Life is short.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

yeah yeah yeah... so says the gal whose dashing Rajput prince did off all romance in mandap itself with the now legendary lota.. last i heard, there was an Amar Chitra Katha in the making on said events. :)

OP, done with distraction. :) Back to scheduled discussion. :)

yellowmango likes this.
  10. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Ya.. Well said.. U r happy cos u just shower unconditionally and do not expect to be reciprocated in a similar way. To each his own, I suggest looking out for what ur spouse considers as romance, rather than having fixed expectations, that may backfire sometimes causing all d more disappointment