1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage and event management"

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Feb 9, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Of late conducting a Marriage has become so costly but still people spend so much on catering, decoration etc. They leave everything to the caterers and they have ladies dressed in uniform to take care of the guests.

So many items are served for breakfast, lunch and Reception. Earlier they used to have only three items for breakfast. But now a days they have some sweet, Idli, Vada, Pongal, Uttappam and in some places other items also like Bread Toast, Sada Dosa, Masala Dosa etc.

Today I had gone for a marriage where there was heavy breakfast. Since the marriage was over by 10.30 a.m. or so we went to have lunch by 11.30 a.m. sothat we can go home early.

There were so much items for lunch. They had payasam, thayir pachadi, sweet pachadi, kootu, kalan, Potato kara curry, avial, olan, pickle, puli inji, kela chips, papad, sambar, rasam , Jilebi and Paruppu vada.. They had kept four bowls in which sambar, rasam, payasam and dahi was served. Besides dahi spicy butter milk was also there. Sambar and Rasam if served the plantain leaf we can have how much we want , but keeping in a bowl some wont be using the full bowl and the remaining will go to waste. If you tell the people who serve the lunch to serve little they dont do so and so much is wasted.

It was a grand marriage. The Mandapam was well decorated, TV and Screen was there showing the marriage , so that those who cant see the marriage can see on the screen and TV. Now a days chairs are kept so difficult to see the marriage.

The next persons who earns more is the Priest. He takes care of all the marriage rituals. They charge more but still some are there who charge less for those people who cant afford.

8 people like this.

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viji mami,

wow! what an interesting post. I enjoyed it very much like how you had atttending it. I just finished my lunch and now you have made me drool by laying out the yummy menu [​IMG]. ... testing my will power eh? [​IMG]

Yes, its a boon (by minimising the stress & strain for the girl family) as well as a bane (expensive and lot of wastages)

Attention :- Satchi, VJB, Sumi :- my first feedback here is just an accident! [​IMG] [​IMG] I am not [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dear viji mami, satchi, VJB, Sumi a good news :- join me in the land of foodies and let us enjoy the most fond moments @ http://www.indusladies.com/forums/groups/foodies.html

3 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty,

I have to say just reading those names made my tummy feel full :) every year as I come back to India, I feel more and more like a stranger and am left with a feeling of wow and many other thoughts.

Looks like you had fun in the marriage as well. I was seeing some pictures of some friends who got married recently and I have to tell you, it feels like a celebrity marriage......times indeed are changing.

1 person likes this.
  4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty....
    Your post brought a marriage mandabam in front of my home-sick eyes......:drowning
    Oh...how I miss attending a South-Indian marriage......
    Pattu ( Silk ) sarees.......Padi kolams( Rangolis).....
    Paal payasam( Milk kheer)...Paruppusili( a veg side dish)....:drool
    Vaadhyaars( Priest) and Vaadhyams( Dhavil and Naadhaswaram music).....
    Would grab our wedding CD and going to watch it......:):thumbsup
    Thanks for this cute post aunty.......

1 person likes this.
  5. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Viji ma,

a Well though out post.. yes it is true.. now-a-days weddings have become a costly affair (Ofcourse Indian weddings were always a grand affair).. But these days it has become more of prestigious issue to show-off what the families can do to their children..

As you said... earlier it was few varities../. but now-a-days many people want to show-off their wealth & the hosting power they have by including all the varities available on the earth...so that the guests attended will talk about how great they have been treated etc.. etc..

Essence is not the food but the promise the bride & groom made and the guests are pour their blessings..
    In short Wedding has become more of an Event Management rather than holistic moment.. (No Offense to anyone who wish to celebrate the moments in a grand manner..)

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Oh Viji mami,

You have made me all drooly thinking about this food :) We had a very similar menu when we performed our father's shastiabdhapoorthi in October last year.. At the end of the day, when we calculated the expenses, our father told us (me and my sis) that we spent more than what he had spent for our wedding!! And the gathering was much smaller!! (Oh, now you have got me thinking about parupu usli!! )

Yes, prices have shot up, menus more elaborate, and wastage more too! Apart from the food, other expenses have also gone up. People spend more on the sarees, decorations and just about evverything!

Mythili

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vijima,

Just yesterday I had gone for a wedding reception. It was the best one I have been to in a long time. It was conducted in a resort which must have been very expensive. But other than that everything about the reception was low key and in very good taste. For a start, there was no music playing. There were many chairs and tables put out outdoors, so people could sit down and eat. The hosts were all over the place, so one could go and talk to them. So too the bride and the groom, who were walking about meeting the guests. So there was no long queue waiting to go up to meet the couple, stand with them take a video/photograph (I was seriously worried how long we would have to wait to go and congratulate them). The bride was dressed so simply but elegantly, it was hard to spot her in the crowd. Dinner was a buffet meal with limited number of items (compared to the lavish, over the top spreads these days), catered by a very famous group, simple and tasty.

The atmosphere was so serene and cool. I am sure it would be a day the couple would like to remember for a long time to come - not forget as soon as possible. And the nicest part was, all this was the desire of the couple - venue etc. All of them are professionals, earn huge amounts and could have afforded a lavish, glitzy show. What I really admired was the simplicity and the elegance and good taste that they had exercised in conducting this event.

2 people like this.
  8. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This thread Vijima is very apt in today's scenario. As you have truly mentioned these food items are mandatory and a very elaborate breakfast is a must. Also for reception people come out with new ideas............such as 'Panju Metai" the pink sponge like sweet.............too sweet, chocolate fountain, popcorn, chat stall are some of the things served in Chennai weddings. But I have seen that in North Indian wedding the food menus are very very elaborate and a person's status is judged by number of items he serves for his child's wedding...............colossal waste of food....

1 person likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijiakka
    Wow! You made me so hungry and crave all that food. Yes i agree that the concept of a simple marriage with good, simple, and moderate amount of food is gone. I always felt that instead of spending so much money wasted on extravaganza if they can spend it for some other bride whose family is struggling get her married that blessings will be much more worthy.

Anyway, like other dreams this is another...
    Nice thought provoking and insightful aritcle akka.

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Mira dear thanks for the first fb and sorry for the late reply. Glad you liked the post. Since my dh knows many people we get invitations for marriage or other functions and enjoy the food.