Marketing Indian Companies in US, UK or Canada?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by bharthi, Apr 3, 2005.

1. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

There are many Indian companies that want to get software or outsourcing project from US, UK and Canada - but don't have the money to have a full-fledged Marketing Manager in these countries.

One company in Bangalore recently contacted me to ask whether I would be interested in getting them software projects. I didn't know head or tail on where to start, so I didn't take that request further.

Opportunities like that might be interesting, if it is in an area which we know. Anybody doing that successfully?

2. uma

uma Senior IL'ite

I have also seen a lot of classified ads in Indian websites that call for such marketing people in US/UK.

I haven't dealt indepth with any Indian company on such offers, but I am wondering whether the money will make sense for us. I mean, Indian companies will be willing to pay only in Rupees and it might work out to be a very small number in dollars and Pounds.

Have anyone worked this out succesfully?

3. manju_j

manju_j New IL'ite

I tried that with an Indian software company that does some embedded software.

I negotiated something like this:

- I asked them to pay a very nominal weekly rate for calling up companies and asking for projects
    - I negotiated a signficant portion of the revenue - from the projects I bring - as my commission.

I find that Indian companies are more willing to give a higher percentage commission that higher base salary. They are paranoid that we will receive the hefty monthly salary and not get them any projects.

However, it took longer time and effort than I thought. Circumstances changed at my end too. Overall, it was a neutral experience.

My recommendation would be that if you can focus on just one Indian company and stay with them for a few months, you might make some head-way.

4. simi

simi Junior IL'ite

Risk of answering the customer

I like this idea of marketing...but want to know the level of risk invollved in being answerable to the customer.

What if the Indian company does not deliver quality or to the agreed time?
    Won't we be at risk sitting here locally? How do we handle it?

Appreciate your thoughts...

5. sheetal

sheetal New IL'ite

Simi brings up a good point.

I think that it will take a minimum of 3 to 6 months before you even get close to receiving a project. During that 3-6 month time you need to be vigilant and make an assessment as to what the company is capable of delivering.

Also, it is good idea to take up the assignment only if you know something about the software or service that you are marketing.

6. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

It looks like this is atleast worth a try, particularly given that I am at home doing nothing. I can explore such an opportunity and see if this will be worthwhile.

How do we go about finding opportunities like that?

7. sonal

sonal Junior IL'ite

There is a company that contacted me asking whether I can help them get software projects in US. I declined because I didn't know much about the technology this company is selling.

I have no interest whatsoever in this company other than the fact that my father knows the CEO of this company. If anyone is interested, send me a private message and I will put you in touch with the right person.

8. kavya

kavya Bronze IL'ite

Opportunity?

The following company approached us recently asking whether any of you would be interested in acquiring software projects for them either in US or UK. They are willing to aggressively compensate (x% of project value) to anyone interested in this proposition.

If you are interested, please send me a private message and I will put you in touch with the contact individual. Thanks.

The company is
    http://www.newtechsoftware.net/

Kavya.

9. Kruthibharath

Kruthibharath New IL'ite

Re: Opportunity?

My first feedback on this site is that it does not look that professional!

10. Kruthibharath

Kruthibharath New IL'ite

Re: Opportunity?

The expectations from a software company while giving them software projects would be very high. And this site needs a complete overhaul