1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mansi asks: Do you believe what goes around comes around?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansibhatia, Oct 23, 2010.

1. mansibhatia

mansibhatia New IL'ite

I am really not sure what I think about this question.

I certainly don't believe in destiny, kismet, fate, call it what you will ... even though many eventful happenings in my life have been attributed to that amorphous, yet comforting, idea.

But the concept of karma ... or what goes around, comes around has always intrigued me.

It disturbs me because it trivializes the notion of doing good for good's sake -- making it more of an undertaking for fear of retribution.

Karma is a bitch, say people, when they see a tyrant die a painful, slow death. Or when a miser's children are killed in a car crash.

We like to think there is some power in the cosmos keeping tabs on our daily activities, an account of all our wrongdoings that will eventually catch up with us in some form or the other: loss of loved ones, cancer, loneliness, etcetera.

But then why do rapists, murderers, corrupt public officials with whom the law enforcement or justice systems haven't caught up, not suffer? Why do we see those who squash, plunder, and ravage other people's dreams and lives thriving in an abundance of health and wealth?

Some say it's because they face a bigger judgment day. Convenient, eh?

They don't know that. No one does.

It's just something we've invented to keep societies form getting out of control. You see a bad person not getting his due in this life and you pacify yourself with the "knowledge" that someone up there is watching ... That the Supreme Power will make him pay one day.

What about paying for your "sins" here and now? I don't see that happening with 100 percent accuracy ... Or even 50 percent of the time.

Just because someone has been a law abiding, generous, upstanding citizen and a compassionate, loving human being, doesn't mean that person won't die of pancreatic cancer.

And conversely just because someone has been corrupt all his life, doesn't mean he will "get what he deserves."

That's just not what happens.

And yet, there's some romance in the idea ... A sense of optimism and hope ... That we will reap what we sow.

So, my readers, what's your verdict?

Mansi asks: do you believe what goes around comes around?

Chime in to keep the "Mansi asks:" series going.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Mansi,

I ask the question everyday. I am a senior citizen, but haven't got straight answer from anyone. I have seen good people dying with cancer, ALS etc when I asked my friend ( who supposed to be good these kind of philosophy), she said that good people die like that have no more birth. She/he goes to heaven.
    Then what about bad people??? that is Karma.
    No one can give a good answer.
    If you don something good, it doesn't mean it cancels the bad deeds. For bad deeds, you suffer.
    But as you say, it is very romantic to say Karma for everything.
    I hope someone can explain to me. You have asked great question. Thanks.