Mango Contest - May & June 2010

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Laxmi, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vidhyarohini

vidhyarohini New IL'ite

In some parts of Tamilnadu, they make Maampaal (a recipe using mango) and offer that to Lord Subramanya/Muruga on Vaikasi Visakam. In TN, Vaikasi Visakam is celebrated as birthday of Lord Subramanya. On that day, they make Maampaal to satisfy him by giving mangoes. Being a child it is offered mixing with milk. We all remember the story of Lord Ganesha won the mango from Siva and Parvathi while Lord Subramanya met with failure and went to Palani. In order to pacify him, his devotees make this on his birthday.

How to make Maampaal?

Cut best varieties of mangoes into pieces and put it in water and allow it to boil. to this add 2 tbsp of Rice flour mixed with water to get the right consistency. Add enough sugar to this and after dissolving, stir continuously to blend that completely. Turn off the stove and add boiled milk and 2 tbsp of Honey.

It must be a different recipe to taste.

2. kiruthigasiva

kiruthigasiva New IL'ite

How to choose, cut and eat mango
    -----------------------------------
    i) Choosing the mango
    ==================
    when we choose mango it should be heavy for its size. It should give nice smell when we held near our nose.

ii)Cutting the mango
    ===============
    1.Holding the mango on its side make an initial cut slightly off center
    2.Holding the mango firmly you make a cut on the another side.
    3.Now mango is divided into three parts ( Two fleshly parts & seed )
    4.Now peel off the one part of the fleshly mango and cut into cubes
    5.Same on the another part and the seed
    6.Serve the cubes in the bowl.

iii)Eating the Mango
    ================
    cubes can be used with salads,lassi, and desserts etc.. Enjoy the delicious mango

3. latha_sasi

latha_sasi Silver IL'ite

Mangoes are the king of fruits.In tamil we say ma,pala and vazhai......... so mangoes tops the list of fruits.I am sure mangoes are liked by one and all.Its full of Vitamin A and since its seasonal we must make the best use of it when available.Mangoes can be cut and served plain,with ice creams,as juice and even combined with other fruits as salad.When in season we can cut the ripe mangoes,grind in the mixie ,strain the juice and add sugar and store in clean,dry sterilsed bottles in the fridge for later use. This way you can enjoy real mango juice throughout the year.There are so many varities of mangoes.....banganapalli,padiri,imam pasand,swarnarekha,rumani,bangalura,neelam, etc.But the richest fruit among them i would say is Imam pasand.It is also known as Banishan.The pulp is thick and full and when eaten it is like a meal by itself.I remeber when we were young we used to spend our summer holidays in our village.There was a vaikal..sort of canal and we used to take these mangoes grown in our farm and sit in the steps there and enjoy the fruits.We used to feel so full that we even skipped the lunch many times.We just used to have curd rice that too because Paati insisted.Those were the most enjoyable ,Juicy and memorable holidays.
    And Thanks to IL for bringing back those days thro' this contest.

Latha Sasidharan

4. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Mango Contest - MANGO PAPAD

Hello everyone,

Here I'm with a simple, interesting and a tasty recipe :

MANGO PAPAD
    Ingredients :

2 Mangoes
    1 Banana
    1 Tbsp Corn flour
    2 Cups Jaggery (grated)
    a pinch of Cardamom
    1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil (Dalda)

Method :

1. Remove skin for Mangoes and Banana. Mash them in a mixer without water.
    2. Heat Jaggery in a pan till it becomes thick.
    3. Add Cornflour, Jaggery & Cardamom to the mango and banana mixture. Mix.
    It will look like that of a Chappathi dough.
    4. Make small balls. Apply Vegetable Oil on plastic sheets.
    Roll each ball between plastic sheets, to look like a papad.
    5. Dry in shadow.
    6. After it is dried well, deep fry in hot oil.
    7. It will become red in colour, but very tasty !!! :)

Nutri Point : This is rich in Vitamin-A. Good for eye-sight, cures skin diseases and enhances memory retention !:thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. ANUKOLLI

ANUKOLLI New IL'ite

hi i have intresting fact that mango can be used to make a home facial.just take two to three chunks of ripen mango or mango pulp is fine..if it is pulp just take two to three spoons and add 1spoon honey.keep the mixture aside for 5 mins..apply it face and neck areas and leave it for 15 mins.after that wash the face and neck with milk and sunnipindi.result was instant.you cam notice the glow..one more interesting fact is that mango can be used to reduce the pain during periods..by eating mangoes we can control heavy bleeding and stomach pain..both of them worked for me.one more fact is that people who are looking to loose their should not consume mango more than two daily..one morething is eat mango before your lunch or wait atleast half an hour to one to eat mango.do not take mango along with your curd rice..
    hope so they are going to work you
    please let me know if they are useful
    thanks
    anu.kolli

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  6. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear ILites,
    Thanks for your overwhelming entries for the Mango contest.

Though the fruit continue to hit the streets, the Mango contest comes to an end in Indusladies Community.

Will be back here shortly with the winner announcement.

Until then it is Mango facts time for the Judges.
    Bye.

7. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Thanks for the overwhelming support to this contest as well as to the King of Fruits - The Mango.

At the outset I would like to thanks our Moderators - Gauri03 & Pavithra55- who helped us to scan through the maze of entries on Mango facts and to nail us the winning entry.

With no further delay here goes the winner announcement...

Winner of Mango Contest
    Gayathri47

Her entry stood out for the Mango fact was informative, different and unusual, relevant to all ladies out here.

Congratulations Gayathri.
    Thanks for such a wonderful Mango fact and am sure next time I shop for mangoes I will look if it is ripe from bottom towards head. Thanks for such a wonderful tip that helps us to eat mangoes that are natural and not artificially ripened.

Special Gift for Winning the Mango Contest:

Glass Painting of Baby Krishna

glass_krishna.jpg

Note : Please send your postal address by mail to support@indusladies.com to receive the special gift.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much!
    Its the first time I winning at a contest in IL.. !!! Thank you so much Laxmi, Gauri and Pavithra.. This has just made this day simply remarkable for me!! :)

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Gayathri for winning the seasonal contest.
    All the best for your future winnings!

sriniketan

10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Gayathri ,
    Congrats for winning the MANGO contest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.