1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Managing a rose plant

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by depressed, Jan 23, 2009.

1. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

View attachment 129791

Roses are not easy to maintain. The plants give flowers after a long time and not too often. But you can follow the following tips :

1. Make sure that the soil you put in the tub before planting the rose is DRIED first. Take soil, crush them, add gobar/cow dung in them. Leave the soil (mixed with cow dung) in sunlight for a day. When the soil is completely dry (no moisture) put it in the tub and then plant the rose.

2. After planting the roses in the soil, add a layer of rotting vegetable, peels of vegetables and fruits, (no cooked food please),dry leaves, tea residues (left after boiling tea granules/leaves),wood chips,grass clippings, cow dung,etc. NO NEED TO USE ALL OF THESE in the protective layer.You can use any two/three combination of this mixture.It has to be spread over the top layer of the soil to reduce evaporation and soil erosion. It helps to keep your maintenance down a bit. Roses will require a lot less watering and weeding if you add this PROTECTIVE LAYER. It will also not allow the rose to catch diseases. Add leftover tea leaves/residues often. GO ON ADDING THIS PROTECTIVE LAYER OFTEN, ONCE IN 12-15 DAYS OR AS SOON AS THE LAYER GETS MIXED WITH THE SOIL.-THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT !

3. CUT OFF the top part of the dried as well as the about to dry branches of your rose. You can even cut off the stems where there is a rose bud. The buds will eventually become new branches later.

4. Cut the dead and damaged branches first. Then cut some of the leftover healthy branches.

5. Water your roses often, but lightly. When you water them, avoid directly watering the foliage because it will cause fungal diseases. Water the roses at the roots.

6. Spray a little water mix with bleach in the stems (NOT THE SOIL) once in a month. It will protect the roses from insects.

7. Protect your roses during the winter months by adding a few extra inches of soil to the base of them. This should provide the extra needed heat in the winter.

8. Roses require direct SUNLIGHT. Make sure, you place the rose in a area where there is sunlight.

Thanks

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the details. My problem with roses is the white powdery substance that forms on the stem. Is there any natural pesticide?
    Jaya

3. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

This is a case of powdery mildew, a fungal infestation. It is caused by too much humidity in the air.

If roses are planted indoors, in the shade or in an area where there is no direct sunlight, this condition may develop. It may be also because of TOO MUCH WATER and watering during the evening or night-WHICH SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS ! Because water should be poured on early morning and NEEDS TO BE DRY AT NIGHT.
    In winters when days are a bit warm and nights are too cool, this white substance may develop and also where air movement is restricted. This disease spreads very fast.
    Do the following:

1. Mix water and baking soda-
    Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil with one gallon (4 liters) of water. Shake this up very thoroughly. Spray on leaves, flowers and soil lightly. Repeat after 5-7 days. IN YOUR CASE IF THERE ARE ONLY A FEW ROSE PLANTS ,use this mix SPARINGLY. USE half teaspoon of soda, oil and half liter of water.

OR

2. Use NEEM OIL or PASTE of NEEM LEAVES with water and spray.
    OR

3. Use FRESH COW MILK mixed with WATER and spray
    OR

4. Some people MIX VINEGAR with water and spray. BUT I do not know how effective this is.
    OR

5. You may use store bought PESTICIDE/ANTI-FUNGAL medicines-as suggested by the sellers of these products.

Plants must be dry before nightfall. Don't water at night. Only water in the morning so things can dry up quickly. There should also be good air circulation and sunlight.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,
    HAPPY

4. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the detailed tips.

5. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Swathi / Andal ,

Thanks a lot for reading the post.

Love ,
    Happy

6. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    Thanks for the details, i love gardening and so it helps me a lot & also iam against chemical fertilizer and pesticide.

1) Please in the next give me more details on hibiscus and as am collecting different varieties of hibiscus
    2) somehow iam unable to grow coriander. I love coriander leaves in my cooking & some how it does not grow properly.
    But iam able to grow mint & other herbs.
    Thank you very much.
    Jaya

7. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Happy

Wow !!!!!!!!That was an excellent photo of rose.....!!!!!!! Breathtaking beauty !!!!

Did you take the photo ? Good.....keep going !!!!

Sorry... i just love flowers but i really dont know to take care of them except for watering and cutting stems of roses ...and asking a gardener to come once in every 20 days and clean all the weeds in the grass and trim it...Occasionally when he says....that we have to spray medicine...i ask him to...but everytime....he does it....my plants are almost dying....and i have to talk to my plants to relive again..... because i cant lose them....and i often feel that i know to take care of my plants more than that gardener... i think he puts a lot of medicine ....ya....?

here....the plants are sold in pots with the (rice) grain husk (not soil like in india) and manure is mixed to that. Is it good for the plants or should i take the plants from the pots and plant them afresh in the soil (ground) ?

bye

sunitha

8. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Dear,
    Am so happy to see that Yellow Rose. I love roses. I have rose plants in my house. Am mad of roses but i won't pluck from the plant n won't allow others also. Gardening is an art. You will forget everything, i use to talk with plants. Thank you for your tips. I use pesticide.

9. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

hey happy

nice to learn about rose plants...this summer i wanted to get few rose plants and put them in my balcony...wanted to create a small balcony garden retreat for myself.. :) thanks for sharing this info

10. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

I will be glad if my advice works for your garden. I will also give you tips on growing hibiscus and coriander in my next blog on Tuesday. Hibiscus and coriander are very easy to grow. But do you live in a very cold climate ? Let me know about the weather conditions (and also about sunlight and soil) in your city first.
    Thanks for your visit. Till I reply to your queries, take care.

HAPPY

Dear Sunitha,

Yes, I took the photo. As I said earlier, photography is a SERIOUS HOBBY for me ( I take at least one photo -DAILY !!!) and I have a photography web page in the internet where I post all my photos in my REAL NAME. However, I do not post the same photos (that I post in my Web page) to IndusLadies to guard my privacy. I have two High End Digital Cameras- Canon Powershot S5is (discontinued by CANON now) and Canon EOS 1000D (A DSLR) and a TRIPOD. I read books on Photography too.
    I took this photo using the "SUPER MACRO MODE" which also means SUPER CLOSE UP. In this mode, you can take photos as close as from 0 mm/ 0cm. The veins inside your eyeballs will also come out clear in this mode while taking a photo of your eyes. There are also various Macro Lenses available separately to get superior results while taking close ups, such as- TAMRON, CANON, NIKKOR, SIGMA ,CARL ZEISS, etc.

As for gardening, I am not an expert but I can safely say that this grain husk is good as far as your climatic conditions are applicable, but planting directly in soil/ground /over the land/on earth is always better since the roots spread easily and get a good grip. I live in a flat so I have no option but to plant in tubs/pots and cannot directly plant in the soil/ground.

Thanks
    Love,
    HAPPY

Dear Vidhu,

Nice to hear from you. I agree gardening is an art and it involves lot of love and care. So, do you talk to plants ? It is very good for you and the plants. I have read an article somewhere that plants grow if you play music near them. Do play soft music for an hour near the plants and you sit beside them. See if it helps. I am trying to do the same. I keep my music system in the door step of the living room. It is a common door step between my balcony garden and living room. I sit in the living room while playing the music and watch the garden.

Thanks,
    HAPPY

Dear Haasinii,

Please create your balcony garden now ! Start with any flowering or non-flowering plants. Take photos and share them with us.

Love,
    Happy