1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Man proposes and daughters dispose

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 20, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

MAN PROPOSES DAUGHTERS DISPOSE
    The year[2013] started with pongal celebrations in Melur meadows[a retirement villge where I seek refuge whenever I need space] with a difference and a delightful rural flavour.Some seniors ventured to have a bullock cart ride followed by application of Move and hot water fomentation.All the seniors amidst breathlessness and cough shouted pongalo pongal.There were many traditional games like breaking the pot etc.I did not try it because of spondylytes and the fear that my neck may not come back to the original position.
    I went for a dental check up to see what is remaining and how to ensure that I carry them to the grave.While the chief dentist examined me,a girl dental trainee was trying her hand in extraction on a woman patient.I heard two different sounds-AHHHHHHH from the trainee and IYYO IYYO from the woman patient.However nothing happened.The woman patient rushed out minus one tooth gritting at the trainee with the remaining teeth.
    Went to a diabetologist to bring the fluctuating sugar levels under control.He went into a long harangue on diet restrictions.and I listened patiently and confirmed that I am a disciplinarian and already followed most of his instrctions.I t was then he entered a forbidden territory-don’t eat fried items like vadas.He panicked when I took viswaroopam and said “Iam prepared to go tomorrow than foregoing weelkly ration of one vada handed over in the retirement village.He surrendered andsaid that anything in moderation was ok.I am still unable to understand what gave me away as an avid vada fan.Sorry if I have taken you through a preamble to my constitution.
    My grandson[9 years]is an avid reader and he is reading Rajagopalachri’s Ramayana.He started asking me uncomfortable questions on Vali-, Sugrivas fight and the role of Rama in this episode.Having long forgotten the intricate details I told him that I would not like to comment and spoil the suspense.He gave me an understanding and sarcastic look.I tried to compete with him in the car race game and after many rounds, my points stand at 24000 against his 42000. My reflexes have slowed down and it is difficult to move sideways with the Tablet and match the speed of the racing cars..When did you get your first pocket money?-he asked.I replied , at the age of twenty after I started earning.He closed his mouth and laughed silently.What is so funny I asked.He said that his mother had promised him pocket money when he completed 13.What will you do with the pocket money?Do you have a canteen I asked.No we have cafeteria he corrected me and said that his friend has five hundred Rupees all the time. I took my grand daughter [8]and bought a Time zone card to play games.As we approached a game machine and I told her to “put the card in the slot and move from left to right “.The right word eluded me-She immediately spotted my discomfiture and asked “do you mean swipe ? Ï nodded my head with a pleading look.We have to keep pace with the times and understand the peer pressure children are subjected to, these days
    Coinciding with my birthday I had the privilege of organising Thirumanjanam and Archana in lakshminarayana perumal Sannadhi in Srirangam for 63 members of the family including the latest and not the last.The family has grown into a banyan tree with all roots intact and strong.God is great.
    Courtesy my tenant I stayed in my sea shore house at Uthandi.I was the first to build the house in the colony.Kingfishers and parrots adorned the telephone and cable lines while snakes wriggled out of their abode and moved about freely.Now around 80 houses have come up and the roar of the sea has been replaced by the sound of the concrete mixers and drilling machines.
    Now I am back in Bangalore after a brief stay at Mumbai. I thought that I would stay at the retirement village tiil the year end. When their requests and admonitions failed to move me out of my moorings my daughters released the last arrow. “Amma will feel sad that you are celebrating New year alone.That was it.The inabsentia lady demonstrated her sway over me when I caught the next flight and landed at Mumbai.Man proposes-Daughters dispose.

13 people like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear LMN Sir
    I know you find the same tailored responses boring; but I have none but only those when it comes to giving you a feedback. Besides, all my vocabulary vanish into thin air every time I read your post. So be prepared to be bored. :)

Vadai or not - that is the question sir and I will always go for vadai. I love vadais. Steering a bit away - my elder son loves Urad dhal - Medhu vadais in rasam, my younger son loves masala vadais, crispy on the outside and soft in the inside - I am so glad my husband and I love both - so we are a family of vadai lovers. I can fully empathize with you. Perhaps this love for vadais is same feather that endears me to your writing; hmm, may be.

I enjoyed your interaction with your grandchildren - the questions on Ramayana and the video games. I too tried my hand in the video games many times and lost miserably. Keeping up with the Jones-es is much easier than keeping up with the kids I think. The constant changing slang is the one I am perturbed with most.

Wishing you many more happy birthdays sir and I seek your blessing. Srirangam is one of my favorite temples and every time I visit I am spellbound at the temple architecture and plan. I love the temple garden - so calming.

Thank you for this double treat - 2014 has really started out well.

Regards

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN Sir,

I always enjoy your posts and your sense of humour.:) Oh ,I too am a great fan of vadais .just reading kamala's fb on the different types of Vadais her family likes had me drooling, and that too after just finishing a full lunch. :hide:.

as always Melur meadows sounds like a fun place but I am totally with your daughters on this.I too wouldn't like my mother to be alone for the new year(though I understand that one is not alone there. after all it is just an extended family?) and was so glad that she went visiting her sisters. Only then could I enjoy my new year celebrations :)

1 person likes this.
  4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,

A lovely post. I can understand how you feel when you are talking to 8 year olds about swiping a card or using gadgets. My dad faces the same issues and usually covers them with a wide smile :)

I agree with your daughters sir. I would never like for my parents to spend any of the festivals or special days all by themselves.

Happy New Year sir :)

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear kkrish,
    In case I start a vadai club,your family members will be invited to be office bearers. I like all types of vadais like-a rose is a rose and would smell as sweet even if called by some other name.With all the resources at their command kids ask inconvenient questions.I t is so difficult to go down the memory lane when I am spending couple of hours every day searching for my specs or cell phone.
    Thanks for your wishes and my blessings for health,peace and happiness.I gratefully accept your compliments.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindian,
    Mythili used to make crisp and lovely vadais and that was a weapon in her armour to keep me on leash.Once she got furious and at the same time was laughing when I suggested vadai for celebrating labour day on 1st May.
    I can understand the concern of children in leaving me alone on a festival day.I would have over rruled had it been a son but there is something special about daughters with their unselfish demand on your compliance.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

3 people like this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Akila,
    You are right.I got fed up with the ipod when my grand daughter said-thatha if you are patient I will teach-it is so simple.Under her persuasion I have just bought a smart phone not knowing what is in store for me.
    Both the daughters speak with each other on phone twice a day and a good portion is about me with relish as if they are discussing a recipe.That is life.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

3 people like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    At any point life is a mixed bag. Contents may be different..but life has variety of experiences and that is what makes it interesting. Otherwise it would be boring. Somethings we do for ourselves, our likes, dislikes, some we enjoy with community (as you have done for Pongal in Meadows). Doctor check ups is for our own good health, eating Vadas is what you like. Anything in moderation is o.k....even vada.
    I too get many doubts in our Mythology but if a nine year old kid asks they sound cute but not people like me. I keep quiet many times for the sake of not looking stupid.
    I am in full agreement with you regarding fast Computor games...I cannot play. I end up with lowest score. I can play Scrabble comfortably.
    In pleasing daughter to be with them for New Year you are also happy. Isn't it?
    I wish you a happy and healthy year.

Syamala

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r LN,

It is a delight to read you, and your positive and humorous thoughts. i wish to be like you, to be funny all the time as well as practical, and you are as comfortable with your daughters as you are staying alone eh ! Hats off to you, a lot to learn from you, about how to live life.

Regards

kamal

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Syamala,
    You are right.Life is like a Rainbow which is seen only when it is raining and shining.My grandson is a question box and he can go on endlessly.I also enjoy Scrabbles but no one has the patience.These are days of instant gratification.
    I was happy at being wanted and to be with my daughters on the New year day.My contemporaries alse sorely missed me by the number of calls I received from them.
    Thanks for taking time to give me FB and your good wishes which I heartily reciprocate.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan
    Regards